back to article Harry Potter director takes on Doctor Who movie

Boy wizard director David Yates is planning to take Doctor Who onto the big screen in conjunction with the BBC. Yates, who directed the last four Harry Potter films, has told Variety that he's about to start developing a Doctor Who movie with Jane Tranter, the head of LA-based BBC Worldwide Productions. Tranter was the BBC's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. SpeakerToAliens
    Thumb Up

Who should play Dr Who?

Benedict Cumberbatch of course.

1. Citizen Kaned

his was apparently in the sunning but preferred sherlock role.

either BC or if you HAVE to go american johnny depp or RD Jnr. both are very Anglicized (is that the right word?) and understand english humour.

2. Alan Bourke

I was chamioning Cumberballs too

pre Matthew Smith.

2. Rob Dobs
    Happy

House?

He's actually British and already plays a Know-it-all doctor on TV?

Plus he might actually help draw in people who aren't dr. who fans already. (like Downey Jr. or Clooney would also do, but without pissing off Dr Who fans or ruining the movie.

Jonny Depp is a pretty good actor too, certainly passible brit accent in Sleepy Hollow and Sweeny Todd....

1. MrT
      Thumb Up

Not to mention...

...Depp as the Earl of Rochester in The Libertine - excellent opening monologue.

3. Citizen Kaned

"We want a British sensibility, but having said that, Steve Kloves wrote the Potter films and captured that British sensibility perfectly, so we are looking at American writers too," Yates said.

erm, i thought JK rowling wrote them, and they were very closely rewritten for the films, she also overlooked much of the production in fear the yanks wouldnt make HP some high school karate champion jock.

slightly tweaking someone else's script is a fair bit different from writing something original yourself.

4. Horridbloke
    Windows

Isn't it obvious?

Rick Mayall in the title role, with Adrian Edmonson portraying Davros.

While we're at it, have the daleks operating out of a flat in Shepherd's Bush.

1. MrT
      Facepalm

Can't wait for the scene...

...where The Doctor ends up with the sonic screwdriver stuck in his eye after being surprised by Davros whilst using it trying to get into a can of pineapple slices...

2. Super Fast Jellyfish

Cybermen.

And the cybermen running Dixons, Ice Warriors - Iceland of course...

5. Alan Bourke

It'll end up like Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

or most other US/UK co-productions. Either an American or Brit family, with a huge house despite one or more of them being unemployed, living in a curious land that is somehow America and the UK at the same time.

6. William Boyle
    Happy

I'm a Yankee, but...

I'm a Yankee, but I've been a BIG Doctor Who fan since the mid 1970's. I've watched every episode at least once or more, so I think a Blighty actor would be most appropriate. My preference would be to keep in sync with current TV versions and use Matt Smith (who I think has been really great), but David Tennant would not be remiss - although I think that the Doctor's daughter should make a reappearance! I've certainly been intrigued with the possibility of a "time line" featuring her! :-)

1. MacGyver
      Alert

+1 for the blonde daughter.

They don't really have anymore doctors left, I think we've been technically at eleven for awhile now, and we should have only ever been at 10 (10 regenerations), so unless they segue into why there can be more than 10 from the TV series, it will be as lame as the 1996 movie.

So for me it's Tennant, or the daughter. Or Smith, but I worry they won't spend enough on it, if it is only ever going to be a TV-movie, and that's what it would be seen as if they use Smith. I like Smith, a lot better than Clooney though. BTW, I'm a Yankee, but Doctor Who is and always should be British.

1. Petrea Mitchell
        Boffin

-1 for geek knowledge

12 regenerations. Recall that in Mawdryn Undead there were "eight more" of him... and also [SPOILER] allegedly derived from his twelfth regeneration going wrong somehow.

7. Toxteth O'Gravy
    Thumb Down

Start from scratch?

So it won't actually be Doctor Who, then? Just titled 'Doctor Who'.

Waste of time, people.

1. Oliver Mayes

Actually, I believe it's just titled "Who"

1. Moz
        Coat

Actually, they could call it "WHO?!" and make it as a musical.

(Grabs coat. Runs.)

2. Robert E A Harvey
        FAIL

just titled "Who"

What!

Why?

8. Paul C
    Coat

Low expectations

So I'd hate to see any actor take the blame. I just hope this doesn't end up as a cross between the 1996 TV movie and Peter Cushing's "Dr. Who and the Daleks".

It also makes me wonder about the future of the TV show. The timing on this would certainly put it past the 50th anniversary, and Matt Smith's run on the show. End the series and relaunch it as a movie franchise? The BBC Worldwide will still make a fortune on licensing and merchandise.

In terms of a "fun" choice, what about Hugh Laurie? I doubt he'd do it, but it might work.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Remake?

Genesis of the Daleks.

Hollywood money would be able to give you more than a dozen Kaled soldiers and equally small number of Thals.

Guy Siner is in LA, perhaps he's available.

2. Robert E A Harvey

Agreed.

But what about Emma Watson as the Doctor?

9. AlexS
    IT Angle

Nice rewrite

BBC website (no doubt where you found out) rewrote the story as it was BBC related.

and The Register rewrote the story because......??

(ps Where has the Reg headstone icon gone? Bring it back!!!).

10. Sporkinum

Fry /Laurie

Either Hugh Laurie or Stephen Fry would be great. Pilkington can't because he would be too busy being Bullshitman. Then again, I guess that's what the Doctor does too!

11. Jon Green
    Alien

Swazi Boy for Doctor!

How about Richard E Grant - particularly with a steampunk Tardis? C'mon, it's gotta be done!

1. Ross 7

Stick Paul McGann in as the assistant and that's gonna pwn.

2. stucs201

Re: gotta be done

er, been done. Doctor who and the curse of the fatal death

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From the beginning (or before)

How about a script from pre-1963 first episode? Just what was the doctor locked up for? -- how did he steal a TARDIS? -- what did William Hartnell Doctor look like when he was younger? There's presumably scope there for a new story without conflicting with all the TV episodes. It's probably already explained in the books, but as Vic and Bob say, there's no point reading a book cos if it's any good it'll be made into a film.

Either that or the Master takes a TARDIS back in time, disguises it as a giant mining ship, kills Kirk's father and destroys Vulcan.

1. frank ly
      Happy

Wow...

Your final paragraph sounds like a Doctor Who - Red Dwarf - Star Trek amalgam. I'd watch it!

2. Liam Johnson

Search your feelings

Kirk IS his father.....

Nooooooo.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

mashed up sci-fi

Luke Skywalker , after saving the Jedi and defeating the Evil Empire ends up getting plugged into the Matrix, eventually he takes every colour pill that is on offer, escapes and defeats the Matrix and then somehow steals Dr Who's tardis, goes back in time kills Kirk's father, destroys Vulcan, but Spock manages to make a mutator beam that turns Luke Skywalker into a Terminator , who then gets back into the stolen Tardis goes back in time and kills Annakin Skywalker's father, unknown to the Skywalker-Terminator , a young Montgomery Scott had stowed away in the Tardis. Scotty destroys Skywalker-Terminator and shags Darth Vader's mother, and thus becomes Darth Vader's father.

4. Sartorius
      Gimp

Cartmel/Lungbarrow

There is some fun to be had here, definitely space to do some VERY early first Doctor stories. Maybe even some "Other" Tales?

Always had the idea of Pete Postlethwaite as a pre-'Unearthly Child' Doctor ....

13. phlashbios
    Facepalm

Please god,no !

I am a big fan of the fantasy genre and read many books and play a variety of videogames all set in fantasy environments. However, I have been subjected to all the Harry Potter movies, and every single one of them as been a pile of unmitigated, steaming sh....ermmm... dung.

I am therefore, not greatly encouraged by the director of those movies, directing the new Dr.Who film.

I have been a fan of Dr.Who since childhood, and I am still a fan to this day, despite the best efforts of Russell T Davies to turn it into a camp farce during his tenure, it really doesn't need the director of the Harry Potter movies turning out a Dr.Who movie that is as big a damp squib as those movies were.

Get Ridley Scott to direct the new movie. Then we will see some interesting direction :-)

14. TRT Silver badge
    Go

Make it...

in LEGO!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

not in true Lego

but a Lego clone, if the toy shelves on my local Tesco are any guide.

Now I like true Logo, but their concepts are pretty bland & identikit. Not that they're not extrememly well executed, but still lacking much in the way of character. A bit like Disney products.

15. dogged

Hugh Jackman

what?

He can do the accent (_The Prestige_), the yanks love him and he's an Aussie so we Brits sort of like him, too.

Job done.

16. Dave Walker 1
    Megaphone

TOM BAKER FTW

17. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

My top three picks are

Derek Jacobi

Kenneth Branagh

Paul Bettany

OR Jason Statham, but only if they can fit a dual-turbo V10 in the TARDIS.

1. stucs201
      Facepalm

re: Derek Jacobi

The same actor playing the master and playing the doctor? Thats not going to be at all confusing is it?

18. Dante

Hopefully it'll be Chuck Norris as the Doctor.

1. Arctic fox
      Joke

RE: "Hopefully it'll be Chuck Norris as the Doctor."

Well I do remember one episode many moons ago when the then Doctor (John Pertwee) said he practised Venusian Karate, so that might be appropriate.

19. IdristheSweep
    Pint

Laurie? As companion maybe...

...to Stephen Fry's Doctor.

20. Some Beggar
    Trollface

Will Smith.

The police box has to go though. His spaceship should look like a spaceship. With guns. And they should ditch the silly sonic screwdriver and replace it with a gun. Or two guns. And he should have sex with his sidekick. But only after they've done that hilarious bitching/flirting thing for the first half hour. Then she should probably die. Then he should kill the daleks. With his fists.

Then a cameo from Iron Man after the credits.

1. Some Beggar

Thumbs down??!?

Ach come on! Who wouldn't pay to watch the Fresh Prince punch a Cyberman in the balls?

21. Audrey S. Thackeray

Can James Nesbitt do an English accent tolerably? He was excellent in the Dr Who-ish, Moffat-written Jekyl and is well known to Tranter.

1. lawndart

Never mind James Nesbitt, I think Gregor Fisher should make an excellent Doctor.

1. Gordon 10

Would certainly make the doctors new outfit easy - stained wife beaters all round.

22. TRT Silver badge

Can't we get...

Peter Cushing?

1. Some Beggar
      Thumb Up

A plasticine-style CGI version

like the young Jeff Bridges in the new Tron.

23. Ross 7

Jane Tranter? Phils sister? Phwoar....

----

Yes I know, but it's mildly related.

1. Vic

> Phils sister?

Surely "Pete's sister?"

Vic.

24. Efros
    Happy

Can only be

Danny Dyer.

On a more serious suggestion, I think John Malkovich would be a brilliantly maniacal doc a la Tom Baker.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.