back to article Oracle previews RHEL-ish 2 Linux kernel

As part of the OpenWorld extravaganza being hosted by Oracle in San Francisco this week, Edward Screven, chief corporate architect at the software giant and the guy who is responsible for the company's Linux and Xen hypervisor variants, gave a brief preview of the next iteration of Oracle's homegrown Linux kernel. Oracle Linux …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not only not supporting Oracle on any other Linux kernel

They also seem to be sitting on their hands and not signing off any benchmarks on anything else either.

Does anyone know whether the containers Oracle are providing are any different from the normal Linux containers?

1. Victor 2

@AC

define "Normal Linux containers"... which one??

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DTrace

Odds on Larry releasing their DTrace for linux port under the GPL so it can be included in the mainline kernel? Slim to none I gather.. Meanwhile DTrace was supposedly open sourced by Sun back in the day

1. Kebabbert

@zef

"...Meanwhile DTrace was supposedly open sourced by Sun back in the day..."

DTrace was open sourced by Sun. Mac OS X has it. As do FreeBSD. It is open sourced.

Now it seems that Oracle Linux also will have it. This gives Oracle Linux a unique advantage over other distros.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dtrace is covered under the CDDL license.

2. John Riddoch

If it's added to the kernel it has to be GPL'd. Opensolaris was under a license which wasn't compatible with GPL which us why ZFS on Linux has to be run under FUSE.

3. Billl
    Trollface

If every major OS can include DTrace, and only one can't, which OS has the incompatible license?

I do agree, however, that DTrace would have to preside in the Kernel, so I am not sure how they (Oracle) would be able to distribute DTrace on Linux without GPLing it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like