back to article New York drops $400m to lure next-gen wafer bakers

New York governor Andrew Cuomo wants to make his state a high tech employer – and taxpayer – and has now primed the political pump with $400m in investments to go along with the $4.4bn that five chip companies plan to spend in the state over the next five years as they research 450mm wafer technology. What Cuomo wants – and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Not as many earthquakes, perhaps ...

But at least they have twice as many seasons.

Here in California, we have one season: Temperate.

In New York, they have two: Frozen, and Mosquito.

1. Wallyb132
      Unhappy

In Arizona...

Here in Chandler Arizona (home of many Intel fabs) we have but 2 seasons:

Miserably fucking hot (5 months of the year)

Not so hot, California like weather (7 months of the year).

Boy do i miss the mono-seasonal semitropical weather growing up in Ventura.

We dont normally have earthquakes here in Arizona, but about 9 months ago, one hit in Baja California and we sure as hell felt it in Chandler, AZ. Me and my then Girlfriend (both being California natives) both recognized the ground shake instantly when it hit.

On a side note, i was wondering what happened to my favorite attorney general, looks like hes become a governor...

2. JEDIDIAH
    Linux

Seasons...

You forgot the rainy season.

Some of us in the flyover states have actually been to California or lived there for awhile.

It's a real hoot seeing Angelinos panic over not-quite-freezing temperatures.

1. LateNightLarry
      Coat

Seasons...

It's even more fun seeing San Franciscans complain about the heat wave when the temperature reaches 75-80 degrees and stays there for two days...

Getting me heavy coat... 80 is seeming a mite chilly...

2. jake Silver badge

@JEDIDIAH

Even our rainy season tends towards temperate ... I have a half dozen tomato plants up against the south wall of one of the barns. I planted them three years ago. I'm still harvesting fruit from them.

It's true that Californians don't really grok weather. We had a couple hundredths of an inch of rain the other day ... The police logs were full of fender-benders.

But don't paint us all with the same brush. The wife & I were in New Jersey about 8 winters ago (she was brought in as a consultant at a ranch just outside Newton for about 6 months). We drove out with enough kit for the duration in a Penski rental truck, trailering our aging '93 Toyota 2WD pickup[1].

The first snowfall of the season we got ~18 inches ... Two days later, and another 8 inches, I needed to make a grocery run. I took the little Toyota. When I got back, the local staff lined up to see the Californian get into trouble in the snow. I calmly drove back up the driveway, into our designated parking place (about an 80 foot elevation over a quarter mile), without any issues. My wife collected several hundred dollars in bets ...

[1] "HiLux" in the rest of the world ... Does anyone really understand Marketing?

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @JEDIDIAH

I thought I was the only person with three-year-old tomato plants. Mine are in window boxes in a New York City co-op where the heat inside never falls below 75, even when you turn the heat off.

These plants survived the blight and continue to produce. Bad news is that they are not very good tomatoes, but they keep the hops company.

1. jake Silver badge

@tpm

I cover my elderly plants when the temperature dips ... but the barn in question is on a small hill (drainage is everything in ranching ... including cold air), so for the most part I just let 'em fend for themselves. They aren't really important in the feed-me demographic, just a curiosity that I share with the kids that take riding lessons here. Mine are tasty ... Might want too get a soil testing kit to figure out which chemicals will improve flavo(u)r and yield. (Hint: An electric toothbrush run over the flowers will help with self-pollination in low-wind indoor conditions ... copper is good to kill rust, and calcium helps to set fruit ...)

I have about a quarter acre of hops, soon to become about 10 acres ... Last June's weather didn't do me any favo(u)rs, but I think this year's red wine will be pretty good ... IF the rain holds off for a bit; unfortunately, it looks like winter is upon us ...

75F is evil indoor living conditions. 65F is tolerable. I grew up with a raised floor & a cable track hanging under the hanging ceiling ...

3. rciafardone
    Pint

Well we get 95ºF everyday.. on averrage

I live in Maracaibo, Venezuela. Here the average is 35ºC (95ºF) EVERY FREAKING DAY. 30ºC is a "cool" day. From time to time we hit 40~45ºC, and then we complain that is hot... but nobody dies for it. Of curse everyone has an air conditioner (even poorer ones).

A beer so you can refresh yourselves.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like