back to article Samsung signals HD smartphones with supersize screens

Samsung had its hands full today, launching several phones, including this refreshed Galaxy S II with a large HD screen. The Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE - which was announced in Korean this morning - sports a 4.65in OLED display with a resolution of 1280 x 720. The handset is apparently the first with an OLED display to feature …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cloudgazer

Missing the key point as usual

The Galaxy S II is SAMOLED+, this newly announced S II HD is only SAMOLED.

Upshot? The subpixel density is the same, the higher pixel density is achieved by switching back to PenTile. C'mon Reg!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's still better

Given the choice I'd rather have the pentile one. You'll get the full benefit of the pentile on video and image data and still an improvement in text display. Not as much of an improvement as a 1280x720 non-pentile OLED (and not as much energy saving as a pentile RGBW LCD) but probably the best screen available at the time of it's release.

2. tanj666

Oh, it looks like...

Just about every other phone nowadays, how long before those pillocks at rotten fruit take umbrage at this because they didn't invent the format of mobile phones either?

1. Danny 14
      Alert

oh dear

here we go again.

3. Mike Flex

"a 4.65in OLED display with a resolution of 1280 x 720"

Does that come with a free magnifying glass?

4. Wang N Staines

We won't get to see these

as Apple will block their sales.

5. Alan Denman

Happy fishing.

Seems to me the bigger they are the better they sell.

So at what size will the hook fail when that line snaps?

6. Alan Denman

Copy cats!

Tom Thumb and his jobsworth mate will probably argue that its a clone of the iPhone 4

1. D@v3

My thoughts were similar, except, that i reckon Samsung are pushing these out quick, so that when the iPhone5 arrives, they can say apple have copied them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4.65in, and a resolution of 1280 x 720? On a phone? That's just getting silly.

1. Ed 11

I couldn't agree more. That sort of pixel density on a phone is utterly ludicrous...

And I will accept nothing less when it comes time to upgrade my current smartphone! If they build it, we will come.

2. Adam T

Indeed

When will these bonanza screen resolutions find their way onto laptops? Seriously, how long have we been stuck with crappy rez on 15" screens? Seems like...oh...forever.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Well if you are happy to go up a bit to 16", you can get 1920 x 1080. (although it will be very shinny)

8. DEAD4EVER
    Go

wow samsung

4.65 inches jeesus christ that probably if not the biggest phone ever wonder if it will come to the uk i mean surly you can bring it into the uk regardless if it has 4g or not. samsung is certainally pushing it. go on samsung you make the best products ever wooo.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      WTF?

Must be. That's shading 5" and as any fule kno, once you get to 5" you're officially a tablet (Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Note...).

Unless those are big phones of course, in which case this isn't the biggest after all. Hey, size actually *is* everything. Who knew?

9. brakepad
    Paris Hilton

Resolution <> size

Why is it that when resolution increases people immediately assume that it will be unreadable? Print resolutions can be upwards of 1000dpi but it doesn't mean that all text is written with a single dot thickness. Increased resolution on screens is almost always a plus point IMHO: text becomes sharper, colours appear more solid, AND smaller text becomes more legible.

Paris because she looks better in HD.

1. Martin Huizing

Eh... No, she doesn't.

10. Anonymous Cowbard

No LTE

LTE won't launch here for several years so I'd bet we won't see this exact model in the UK.

I would expect a similar specced, but non-LTE, version for UK use.

LTE chipsets are expensive, by not fitting it Samsung would sell the same phone for more margin.

11. Joe K
    WTF?

Seems like yesterday that i was shopping for a new, cheap as possible, HD telly, and was told that anything less than 32" for HD was USELESS as you'd never notice the difference.

1. Patrick R
      Facepalm

If you hold your telly like you hold your phone and your arms are less than 1.7meter long, you will notice the difference. Sure.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

These assume that you are looking at moving video, and at a distance where you see the whole screen as one. When you are that far away, then maybe, but if you are looking at static images, at a distance where you move your eyes to look at different parts of the screen, then I think you notice the difference.

12. 0laf
    Facepalm

Pocket sized?

Why not just hold a feckin tablet to your ear?

Maybe when the roll out screen becomes a reality we can use these large screened phones. But mean while you're just going to look like a prick or Dom Joly in a library

13. Andrew Garrard

Hello new phone... oh wait.

I've been waiting for a 720p phone for a very long time (partly for text quality, partly I was spoiled by a 3" WVGA screen in the past, partly because video is less mangled by it). I've no problem with the size - my Sensation isn't that much smaller, and easily fits in a pocket/my hands. PenTile is a big disappointment, though - it may put me off.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like