back to article MySQL founder savages Oracle’s move to 'open core'

One of the key founders of the MySQL project, Ulf Michael ‘Monty’ Widenius, has savaged Oracle’s decision to start selling commercially exclusive extensions to MySQL. In an extensive blog post, Monty said that the so-called "open core" model – where open source code is sold alongside proprietary add-ons – was not the original …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Devil

Kettle calling the pot black?

Innodb MySQL engine anyone? "Open" - maybe... without the backup and all the tools necessary to do that. In reality - closed.

That is just one example. I have used MySQL in all of my projects as far back as 1998 and I cannot remember a period when they were using any different from that model. The "core" was always open and was enough for most developers. The more interesting stuff required money.

Oracle is doing what MySQL tried to do for many years, just doing it properly putting a proper support infrastructure, sales staff, etc behind it.

1. Antony Curtis
      Stop

innoDB was never owned by MySQL

Monty had been trying to buy Innobase for years before Innobase finally sold out to Oracle. I remember how angry Monty was for that: He had expected that Heikki would at least had allowed MySQL to put in a competing offer.

There has been no double standard. InnoDB was never owned by MySQL and the online hot backup was something which had to be purchased from Innobase.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well,...

this is what happens when you surrender control of something - the organization that gains that control gets to decide what to do with it. Oh and don't forget the huge wedge of cash that was forthcoming when it was given over to Sun. Perhaps Widenius should reflect on that. And stop whining.

Surely if there was so much concern about what a future owner of MySQL would do, then the prudent action would have been to ensure a greater level of protection was in place before scarpering with the dosh?

History shows that Widenius found a OSS sucker in Sun, it seems complacent that he objects to Oracle taking a different (and presumably more commercially savvy) approach after Sun's ignominious demise.

Or perhaps he is just tub thumping to attract attention to MariaDB?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

He should keep his mouth shut

Sorry for the harsh words but I think stuff like this is plain out annoying.

Its simple really: if those guys hasn't sold out MySQL to Sun for the big bucks then they could still do with MySQL what they wanted.

They chose the big bucks so the MySQL users now really do NOT need your pityfull self sorried whining since you guys are the ones who got us into this mess in the first place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't know what the downvotes are for - this guy hit the nail on the head.

Monty lost all right to complain about the direction the MySQL project went when he cashed the enormous cheque from Sun.

4. Paul Johnston

Yes

As above, you got the cash now move on please!

5. Matt 52

Nothing new...

Enterprise monitor?

Move along.... nothing to see here.

6. Charles Calthrop
    Thumb Down

who'd have thought that selling your software to megacorp 3 for $$$ would mean they did what they wanted with it?

7. Nick Kew
    FAIL

Wolf!

Hasn't he cried Wolf once or twice too often?

ISTR the dual track goes back even before the sale to Sun. Where was he back then?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The beauty of open source

is that the community is quite free to develop extensions for backup etc. themselves!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Monty, you sold it. Stop whining

If you cared so much about MySQL you shouldn't have sold it. But you liked the mountain of dollars they gave you. Oracle like dollars too. So what's wrong? Is only ok if dollars goes to your pockets?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't "Monty" start the whole mixed model thing in MySQL? I thought that was the reason they got such a big payout when they sold it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like