back to article Minister seeks to rip 'Like' buttons off German gov web

Germany's consumer protection minister Ilse Aigner is once again calling on her peers to ditch the use of Facebook by government officials, citing what she believes are valid "justified legal doubts" raised about the social network. In a letter to German newspaper Spiegel, Aigner wrote to urge her cabinet colleagues to "no …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. kapejod

Seems like google translate sometimes is not enough (or I am getting old and slow). I have been wondering what "wieknöpfe" are for almost 10 minutes before I fell back to the equivalent of "English for runaways"....

2. A_Kraut
    Headmaster

I know that the whole UK is full with Germany fanbois with the most active working for El Reg. And especially you do a really good job of making us smile sometimes. But... while this "Sozialschweinehunde" thing really started very good that wieknöpfe destroyed it a bit. I needed a while before I got it: like = wie. Sorry guys (and girls) this is just confusing for Germans. I'd recommend you changed it to "gefallenknöpfe" or something. This sounds weird enough and is also only nearly correct.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Raus! Schnell!

Das Komputermaschine ist nicht für gefallenknöpfen und zuckerbergen! Andersfallen ist easy to bekommen marketingsauger, sozialingenören und transferren der personaldaten nach dreiletter bürokratenblockhaus.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wtf are government depts doing having Facebook pages in the first place? Isn't gov.uk enough for them? Why are they spending my taxes on this crap?

Anon for the anti government logo.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Boffin

Why government departments have Facebook pages

Apparently, it's because 7,856 people like them.

4. Arctic fox
    WTF?

Social-tecnological-pigdogs and their fallen buttons?

I do beg your pardon?

1. Syren Baran
      Headmaster

Lost in translation

More like "Social technology ratfinks an their like buttons."

Gees, even simple words can have so many meanings.

like (comparision) = wie (as in original title)

(to) like (verb) = mögen

gefallen (past tense) = fell

Gefallen (noun) = liking, favour

gefallen (adj.) = fallen

And thats just scratching the surface, look at

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=&search=gefallen

and

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=&search=like

if you want to get really confused.

1. Arctic fox
        Thumb Up

@Syren Baran "Lost in translation"

Thanks muchly. I am grateful and, to be honest, relieved!

5. Richard Jukes

FAO: Anon Coward (Fuck Tard)

Its the german government. I dont think they have any .gov.uk domains. I also dont think they are spending your taxes.

6. Elmer Phud
    IT Angle

Doubts

""justified legal doubts" raised about the social network."

Facebook itself or the pillocks who will click on any link that looks vaguely interesting?

1. Stoneshop
  7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Terminator

[Engage smug mode]

Every day in every way, I'm so glad I've never used FaceBook.

8. Nick Pettefar

Even El Reg

Has Like buttons....

We are all just data resources.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like