back to article Only jailbroken iPhones, iPads can be safe from latest vuln

The latest jailbreak for iPhones, published on Wednesday, exploits a zero-day bug in iOS that only users of jailbroken devices will be able to fix, security experts warn. Version 3 of jailbreakme.com, which also works on iPad fondleslabs, takes advantage of a PDF-related vulnerability in iOS. Users of jailbroken devices can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ted Treen
    Trollface

Or to sum up...

FUD

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

LOL

Nice way of spinning jailbreaking as some sort of security upgrade.

In reality you've deactivated many controls and safeguards. Having SSH enabled for instance is pretty dumb.

It's like saying running everything as root gives you the "freedom to do what I want to do with my device".

3. Usually Right or Wrong
    Unhappy

It only takes 1

' iPhone malware remains even rarer than the low levels of Droid Trojans '

Every day I travel into London and see hundreds of iPhones being used, they are a large target and worth criminal effort to set up drive by attack sites, so lets hope this gets fixed soon.

I spend my life trying to keep out the bad guys, but I can't do it unless manufacturers respond when a weakness in their product is found. If an exploit comes out before a fix, I will have to think about disconnecting iPhones from our network, which will not be a very productive or popular move.

4. A. Nervosa
    Flame

So...

In that last paragraph you manage to suggest that Apple's walled garden approach is a security risk and then completely contradict yourself by referencing a real-world trend that proves the complete opposite?

So what do we infer from this? A walled garden is risky, a fenced garden is riskier and the only true solution is to have no garden at all? How very insightful. You should go into politics.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Jailbreaking - no thanks.

What about jailbreaking your phone making it 'more' susceptible to hacking?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's tough in the walled garden

If only we had the 'laissez-faire approach' offered by Google - then we'd see the same rate of phones quickly upgraded to the latest version as we do with Android.... wait - what was the point again?

7. PReDiToR
    Go

For those of us ...

Who aren't mindless of the risks, rooting your Android and jailbreaking your iDevice make them a whole ton nicer to use. In fact I consider it essential.

But if you act like an AOL user with Outlook Express on Windows Me you're going to get a pox.

Dodgy cracked apps and security holes like leaving the SSH password set to "alpine" aren't new problems, we've been trying to educate lusers for years. This is just another arena where we can play carefully with stuff that they shouldn't be let loose on.

CyanogenMod 7.0.3 on my ZTE Blade, iOS 4.3.3 with Cydia on my iPhone4.

I'm absolutely delighted with the capabilities and enhancements that rooting and jailbreaking have given my devices over the stock firmwares.

Now, if only someone could get SwiftKey and a microSD reader into the Apple I'd be in heaven.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Holy..

"But if you act like an AOL user with Outlook Express on Windows Me you're going to get a pox".

Now, you made me spill my drink... good job!

On a side note... keep 30 feet between you and a machine with all those three. At once. In the present day. And use Hazmat suit and a pole to tip it over the table, and hopefully brake it in the process. *shudder*.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jailbreaking doesn't automatically make your device less secure.

Current jailbreak methods don't install SSH, so that is no longer a concern.

If you all you do is install Cydia, then terminal, use terminal to change the 'root' and 'mobile' account passwords, then install the PDF patch your iOS device will definitely be more secure.

Jailbreaking might hand you the gun, but if you want to shoot yourself in the foot you still have to load it and pull the trigger.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So you look at a PDF...

and your phone is owned? That's bad. Seems like Apple should do a security audit of their PDF software since this is the 2nd time this has happened.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like