back to article Hackers steal personal data of military, gov personnel

Hackers breached the security of a defense industry news website and stole sensitive subscriber information that could be used in attacks targeting the US military and its contractors. Gannet Co., publisher of DefenseNews, disclosed the bad news in an advisory published Monday. Data exposed included subscribers' first and last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ratfox

Ouch

Goes to show that sometimes, there is no such thing as "good enough security".

Though, really, passwords? Which implies they were stored unhashed? Maybe I'm just nitpicking. After all, with the data they had, Gannet probably thought the lock of the safe was unbreakable anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are not sure how it happened

Come on we all know it will be either

A) SQL Injection due to shit coding

B) Someone opened an email attachment inside the LAN

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Vuln

I can confirm it was SQLi in this case.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

RE: They are not sure how it happened

Don't forget the obvious answer: the gov were running Winblows

1. Chris Miller
        FAIL

@AC 08:34

Right! Because SQLi attacks only work against M$ platforms!!!

Oh, wait ...

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
        Stop

@AC 08:34

May be a ring of truth but as a committed Linux and OSX user even I had to down vote that one!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misleading title

I thought from the title that it was a govt/military site that was hacked, not a public site.

Mind you, those concerned should not have given this site anything more than the essentials (what is needed to subscribe) - and definitely not details about their position within any government/military organisation. Fail on them if they have.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Guilty of this one myself ...

I'm in the British Army. On a US military kit site, I gave my country and arm of service to get the military discount. Combine that with the standard e-commerce stuff and I'm a big fat spear-phishing target.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like