back to article German DDoSer jailed for World Cup gambling extortion

A hacker based in Germany has been jailed for 34 months over a DDoS-based extortion scam against gambling websites in the run-up to last year's World Cup. The unnamed Frankfurt resident was also ordered to pay damages of 350,000 Euros ($504,000) by a Düsseldorf court following his conviction for attempting to run a protection …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Oninoshiko
    Go

Aww

I rather liked flying Lufthansa internationally, truly a pleasure. Much better then the American bastards they outsourced my return trip to.

2. nyelvmark
    Thumb Down

Only half a story

So, why is his name withheld? And how did they catch him?

I don't know about you, but I often daydream about committing the perfect crime - and extorting money from bookmakers must be as near as you can get to the victimless crime. That's ignoring the poor saps who got their PCs hacked, of course, but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, or so they say.

Incidentally, according to the cited source, Deutsche Welle, it was 65 dollars a day, not just 65 dollars. It would be interesting to know whether the German police have managed to follow that money. Maybe that's why they're not telling us the perp's name yet.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Precedent

"Considered by the courts back in 2005, the case failed essentially because the DDoSs had a purely political motive and were considered to be a non-criminal form of civil disobedience"

So hacking in a government computer, dumping its date and distributing is also a civil disobedience surely? Unarguably purely political motive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like