back to article Ten thousand OLEDs unite in live Earth replica

Check out this crazy globe - a live replica of the Earth made from over 10,000 OLED display panels. The exhibit, made by Mitsubishi Electric, is on show at The Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation in Tokyo. The "Geo-Cosmos" measures six metres across and is perpetually fed satellite images to provide an up-to-date visual …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph
    Joke

Martians

"what our planet would look like to martians on the moon."

It's obstructing their view of Venus!

2. Alister

Martians on the moon?

And just why would they be there? Have the Lunarites done a timeshare swap?

(anyway, there can't be Martians on the Moon, the Lunar Interceptors would have blown them all up!)

3. Andrew 25

Moon based Mars folk?

"what our planet would look like to martians on the moon"

1. Why would Martians be on the moon instead of Mars?

2. Even if they were to visit the moon, how do we know they would see light the same way as us?

Why not just say 'what our planet looks like from the moon (by human astronauts presumably)'

1. Christian Berger

@Andrew 25: Moon based Mars folk

Of course they have a moon-base to relay earth television to mars. Everybody knows they watch earth television. Just look at documentations like "Santa Clause Conquers the Marsians.".

4. Flugal

Real time?

Those clouds look to be moving very quickly for real time.

Fantastic project though.

1. User McUser
      Boffin

Also...

Shouldn't roughly half of it be dark?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"what our planet would look like to martians on the moon."

Assuming the Martians have eyesight sensitive to the same wavelengths as Humans.

6. Code Monkey
    Thumb Up

Splendid

The globe itself is lovely. Throw in the touchscreen business and I could see myself losing close to a whole day playing with it. Super stuff!

7. Piloti
    Boffin

.... surely.....

"....of what our planet would look like to martians on the moon", should be "of what our planet would look like to martians on /Mars/." ?

8. Joel Mansford
    Go

How cool is that!?

Don't often think that about new tech, but I'd love to see this 'in person'

9. Mark Winpenny
    Alien

Martians on the moon?

Surely you mean Selenites.

1. Suburban Inmate
      Happy

Selenites on the moon?

Surely you mean Clangers?

1. bluesxman
        Happy

Clangers on the moon?

Surely you mean Whalers?

10. Jim 59

Pretty cool

Cool

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Wow!

For once I am genuinely gobsmacked! That is just amazing!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Purdy

That's pretty. Refresh rate on the rotation is a little disappointing. Be interesting to see how long it lasts before the blues start getting a bit dim.

13. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Moonies?

Umm, I may be short of a few beers, but if I recall correctly we call Martians because they live on what we call Mars. Ergo someone on the moon (well, "residents") would probably be called Moonies or something (Moonians doesn't sound half as much fun).

Having said that, maybe El Reg knows a lot more than they let on, and know already that the Martians have landed on the Moon and have staged a coup. Or a really, really wicked party.

Anyone seen my meds?

14. Alister
    Coat

10,000 OLEDs

...immediately made me think of "It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife ..."

No idea why...

Just saying...

15. Oninoshiko

A concour

certainly not martians, I vote for moonutions!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Crowd around, children!

http://www.reghardware.com/Design/graphics/icons/comment/flame_32.png

Child approaches the pretty pretty globe, said to be where we all live, presses button marked "Future Warming," sees humanity's home quickly become a flaming ball of destruction, is traumatized for life. Another AGW convert for the battles ahead. Mission accomplished!

17. quartzie
    Meh

Upgrade

I remember visiting Miraikan in Tokyo back in 2002 and there was a distinctly similar interactive globe made from LED panels already.

I applaud the upgrade to OLED panels (and the upgrade in resolution), however the idea is hardly new.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Can I have one for my bedroom please?

This topic is closed for new posts.