back to article Does a flash motor make a man more desirable?

The long-debated question of whether women find a man more attractive if he drives a flash car (or in other ways spends cash conspicuously) has been further muddied by an alliance of psychologists and biz profs in the States. Carrying out a survey among 1,000 American subjects, the soft-studies profs sought to find out what …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. The Bit Wrangler
    Holmes

Sponsor ?

Was this study sponsored by Porsche ?

2. Tegne

I wonder how he'd analyze the mixed message my previous choice of car sends out.

Married 38 year old man with Mercedes SLK. I was told at length what my mates thought about it.. the gits.

3. ardubbleyu
    Stop

Oi!

What's wrong with driving a Honda Civic?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

What's wrong with driving a Honda Civic?

Read the article and you'll be enlightened :)

2. alexh2o
      Joke

F*ck your Honda Civic...

...I've got a horse outside!

( For reference.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8 )

4. Ged T
    Happy

Welcome back, political incorrectness!

That's all.

5. Richard Jukes

Hard Life

Tis a hard life for every Porsche owner eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

It can be

I was sitting in the beer garden enjoying some fine female company. Boxter roars(ish) into the car park with much sound and fury. Heads turn (possibly because said pub was popular with local constabulary).

Out steps tanned, groomed aviator wearing driver who scans his hunting ground before swaggering over to our table. Keys plonked down, presumably as some way to try and mark territory or establish male dominance.

"So, do you like my car?" he says to my rather fine looking friend. She looks at the car, looks at him, smiles and says "How cute, a baby Porsche. Will it grow up?"

Cue much laughter from the rest of us and the tables near by. Cue more when the poor driver stalls trying to make a quick exit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Well... Ancient law of nature...

Like dissolves in alike.

Guess your friend was not what he was looking for.

No worries, he will find it a few pubs down the road.

By the way, I would not mind being introduced to your friend. As Animal from Muppet Show used to say "My kind of Woman...": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yvHWyvexZA

6. The last doughnut
    Holmes

I for one

Welcome this opportunity to use the new "No sh!t, Sherlock" icon.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best of both worlds

I drive an eco-box, but also ride a big, red sportsbike - questionably 'flashier' than a flashy motor.

What do I win?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

What do you win?

The chance to smear yourself across the tarmac because some dozy motorist isn't looking, of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes..

because the "dozy" motorist didnt see the tit in black leather with a black helmet, hurtling down a road at mach million at 11.30 pm on a black motorcycle..Until it was too late..

Because, had the organ donor observed the speed limits then he wouldnt have T-boned the car pulling out because they and the "dozy" motorist would both have had time to react.

1. dogged

"Red"

What part of this word do you have a problem with?

2. andybird123

you win...

gravel rash, well done you

3. Gareth Gouldstone
      Happy

The admiration of gay bikers?

But only if you're wearing well-fitting leathers!

8. Allan George Dyer
    WTF?

I give up...

Where do the trick cyclists come into it?

1. Blake St. Claire
      Boffin

trick cyclist = psychiatrist

That's british rhyming slang for you – do try to keep up, will you.

The psychiatrist(s) would be the ones who did the study that came up with this brilliant result.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I give up...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/trick_cyclist

3. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Previous experience dictates

Mid 20s I took the plunge and bought a sports car (quarter life crisis?).

Did my notch count no difference whatsoever.

When parked up, it actually got more comments from fellas than it did any ladies.

So sports cars = great way to get chatting to boy racers, but crap for pulling.

1. Marcus Aurelius
      Go

-1 Disagree

As someone with a face only a mother could love, I can only say my success with women went from zero to hero on buying a Lotus Esprit Turbo SE in my mid-late 20s

Unfortunately so did the points on my license....

2. andybird123

sports car?

depends on what your definition of sports car is

ferraris, lambos, top end porkers, are all proven fanny magnets, I think the key is that the car has to cost at least 100K when new and be a household name

I've had various fast Japanese cars and women don't bat an eyelid (until I step out of it obviously, they are only human)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

sports car?

Granted it wasn't 100k when new, but it was from an Italian household name, a revvy engine with a lightweight body, fantastic handling, Paninfarina styling and featured in many late 90s/early 2000s racing games.

Wasn't a supercar by any means. In fact, I'd only thought about it as a coupe, it was only when it was in getting (one of many) repairs that the girl I'd been going out with said "You should really get rid of that sports car. I never really liked it."

She was happier when I bought a big middle-aged looking Peugeot, and then a big lazy Japanese coupe (which is more pipe and slippers than cigar and gucci).

Which either means I'm 'marraige' material (she's still with me) rather than Porsche-driving 'one night' material, or that girls aren't fussed.

1. Adrian Esdaile
          Trollface

Italian household name

'that bloody useless FIAT' doesn't count, despite being a common household expression.

Fix It Again, Tony

2. Jim 59
        Happy

Rice burners

Doesn't have to cost 100k, Andybird. It just needs to look flash and feel flash and not be old. 10 year old Porche is too old. Imprezza too ordinary. What about a shiny new MX-5 ? Sorted.

1. asiaseen

Speaking of rice burners

a chap in China faked a Lamborghini out of a Nissan something and only got found out because he forgot to put a licence plate on it.

10. Ted Treen
    Pint

Yawn...

Can't think why anyone would consider it worthwhile to even study such a thing.

Yes, you can pull some girls with your wallet (See WAGs) but they're generally airheads/bimbos.

Beer? - well, it's Friday.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Yawn...

Face it: you're just sour. :-)

1. Ted Treen
        Holmes

not at all, old lad.

I just prefer females with at least a modicum of intelligence & personality. Those who are attracted solely by a flash motor are generally lacking in both. And it's not a sexist thing - the male sex has its share of vapid shallowness as well.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: not at all, old lad.

What *is* it with you lot and 'females'? You realise it makes you sound like you're talking about horses or something. We are *women*, if you don't mind.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

What *is* it with you lot and 'females'?

I think it's due to the component-centric view of your typical IT-enculuured dweeb who categorise the entire world into things that are plugged into other things and things that have things plugged into them. They can't help it, bless 'em. (BTW, if any of you have DIN gender changer kicking around can you pass it on? I've got a keyboard that I re-purpose if I could switch it from a male pin-out to a female one. Thank you).

2. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

@ Sarah Bee

I could say something about coming from Norfolk, and being able to notice the difference between the women and the horses as actually quite hard. But I won't.

1. Ted Treen
              Joke

Ah Norfolk...

You can count on people from Norfolk....

...up to 12 if you use all their fingers...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

WAGS == Wives and Girlfriends

I think forgot the required prefix of "Football'ers" or "Chav's".

Paris - I she had not been born into money, she'd probably be doing tricks to get it.

11. Peter Clarke 1
    Coat

Title? We don't need no stinkin' title!

I was in the gym when the female fitness instructor walked in. I asked her which machine should I use to impress her. She looked me up and down and said try the ATM down the street!

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Title? We don't need no stinkin' title!

Heh. You got served.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@ the gym

I was in the gym when the female fitness instructor walked in. I asked her which machine would I be best suited to? She looked me up and down and said try the machine in the foyer. The one with the kitkats!

12. Ooo-wait-BUT!
    Trollface

Soft science makes me gag

By making such a strong distinction between men and women; and insofar as it is men making the car purchase and women making subjective pronouncements based solely on that purchase choice these 'academics' have failed at very significant levels:

Firstly - the sexist clause... this survey was doomed from the word go when it approached the research phase already knowing what result it was looking for;

Secondly - the lack of a decent data pool... was there a representative sample of ethnically rare one-legged single parent lesbians in the survey?

Thirdly - the interpretation of subjective observations: there are two distinct types of women (of the subset of women who are interested solely in men); those who value a man for the person he is (the Civic buyer) and those who fuck for money.

But, it's America... so we can let them off. It's not like they know how to do any REAL science.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Soft science makes me gag

I appreciate the attempt at humour, but please don't give up the day job just yet.

13. DB2k
    Paris Hilton

new hip required

soooooooooooo.. driving a Porsche will get me loads of bedroom action, but mean that none of them want to settle down or cuddle? Porsche should put this in their advertising, verbatim.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Headmaster

Already been done...

In the movie "Crazy People":

"Jaguar - For men who'd like hand-jobs from beautiful women they hardly know." and "Volvo - they're boxy but they're good."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: new hip required

Replace cuddle with talk and you've got an idea there.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Nice car

Shame about your penis.

15. Bunker_Monkey
    IT Angle

Porsche.... everyones got a porsche except me!

(jingles keys to his brand new, gleaming Lotus Exige - yeah i wish!)

Cause Porsches are overbloated toys in my opinion, I would only buy a british sports car with much better handling and less understeer..

Wheres the IT angle on this? Shame I can't have the same effect with a monster gaming pc!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

@Bunker_Monkey

Fro experience my Exige gathers more attention from 14 year old boys than hot women...

2. Bradley
      FAIL

title

yeah, because understeer is such a turn-off.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Porsches are overbloated toys in my opinion

No, Porsches are VW Beetles that have been put through a loose mangle. Audi TTs are the rejects from this process.

1. 42
        Thumb Up

I always say

Someone dropped a large shipping container on a Beetle, but otherwise, you da man man.

2. 42

I always say

Someone dropped a large shipping container on a Beetle, but otherwise, you da man man.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.