back to article Transition leaves frustrated corporates locked out of Google Groups

Users are becoming increasingly frustrated that Google has been locking out users from Google Groups as the result of changes it made when it separated Google Apps accounts from Gmail and other consumer accounts around six months ago. Revising account structures to separate Google Apps accounts and Gmail accounts by itself …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. brightemo
    FAIL

Transition

As part of this lovely transition, my Android Developer account is stuck on a me%mydomain.com@gtempaccount.com account - sure I can create a new google account (with a gmail address) for it, but there is no way to transfer it back to my me@mydomain.com apps account.

2. nyelvmark

What happened to Usenet?

Did Google Groups finally swallow it up, or are there still millions using NNTP? I haven't had an ISP that offered an NNTP (also called Network News) server for years. Most, I suspect, would say there's no demand for it if I asked - assuming they even knew what it was.

1. Martin Gregorie

Its still there

Google Groups would like to pretend that USENET has vanished, but they are wrong. They updated the Google Groups <-> USENET interface recently, and broke USENET threading in the process: anything posted from GG invariably starts a new thread on USENET regardless of whether its a new posting or a reply to an existing one.

Personally, I don't see why anybody would use GG. The interface was bad enough when GG was DejaVu and has gotten progressively worse since its been in Google's hands: I do use GG occasionally to look at old USENET postings and am always impressed by its general crappiness. Last but not least, reading a thread is always slower via GG than it is with a decent news reader.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

To clarify, "real" Usenetters will hate you if you "Preview the new Google Groups experience".

I assume that "the new Google Groups experience" isn't intended to be the default yet. It did have these drawbacks - which I reported to them after looking at it a few weeks ago - of sending posts to Usenet without line-wrapping and without a "References" header line. You do get an "In-reply-to" line but most other newsreader programs don't use that to connect messages.

3. Jonathan 6
    Mushroom

Definition of an oxymoron = Google support

Sorry, but in which universe is Google's 'support' anything other than fucking abysmal? Resonse times range from several days to fucking months. Google DOESN'T SUPPORT A FUCKING THING. You pay them your money and they fucking abandon you. Do NOT use Google for your business.

4. Ad Fundum
    FAIL

It does suck somewhat

We use GApps for work, and the service is quite crappy. It's taken three months to fix what seemed like quite a fundamental bug - once you create a form from the spreadsheet, it didn't save any changes. Well, it's not like users are going to want to change anything or save documents is it?

The forums are good because there are a number of quite outstanding individuals who spend ages helping people (Ahab I'm looking at you!) and their input, helpfulness and speed of response.

Google employees, on the other hand, have roughly the same input, helpfulness and speed of response as the Sahara desert when asked to comment upon the role that Toussaint Ouverture played in ending slavery.

5. Tom 38
    Thumb Down

Google 'enterprise' apps

Google's enterprise apps have a litany of issues that non hosted apps simply do not have.

Replace Notes/Exchange with gmail?

- no administrator option to allow one user to read another users mailbox.

- no shared mailboxes

Replace Office with Google Docs?

- can't open most large spreadsheets or presentations

Worst of all, is that there is no support. Google allegedly have hired the best and brightest, but not seemingly in their support department. We have an open bug against them that they refuse to look at, refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue, and keep insisting that this is our fault, when we show clearly it never touches our systems.

6. imcdnzl

How to get support

I've found you really do need to take Google support from an authorised third party. Have more thoughts at http://www.next-genit.co.uk/events-1

Also Google Groups is not officially support for corporate use from memory - the SLA that applies to other products may not apply..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like