back to article Rapture postponed as world inexplicably fails to end

Judgment Day prophet Harold Camping has some serious explaining to do after his prediction that the world would end on Saturday proved less than accurate. The 89-year-old founder of Family Radio nailed 6pm EST as the moment at which millions of true believers would be raptured heavenwards, while cataclysmic earthquakes rocked …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dotter

I knew I should have...

Invested my life savings into a bet that the Rapture wouldn't happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

logic problem

But you'd need to find a Christian Bookie (otherwise the odds won't be worth it). Are there many of them (thinking money changers at the temple, camels and eyes of needles etc etc)?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Blue eyed boy
    FAIL

Don't worry (yet)

He'll find the bug in his calculations and come up with a corrected date some time soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

I'm just pissed off

That he got it wrong. It means I have to pay back my stretched to breaking point credit card bill and Joe the loan shark from that mother of all end of the world parties.

Now where is the aspirin and medical insurance...

2. mafoo
      Pint

guarantee

I love how all his literature, posters, website etc has the phrase:

"World will end May 21 2011: The Bible Guarantees It"

Not left himself much wriggle room there has he.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Thumb Up

@maifoo

"Not left himself much wriggle room there has he."

Good.

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

The guy's an idiot

Anyone that makes such a statement about the world ending and then when asked what he will be doing replies "Watching it on TV" either is stating that he doesn't believe it himself or he's not the 'good christian' he claims to be and expects to still be there with the rest of us after the christians after been saved.

Or.... maybe there nobody good left and it really happened and it's just BUSINESS AS USUAL.

3. DZ-Jay

Yay for the Internet!

It seems my petition to Postpone Day of The Rapture worked--again!

http://www.petitiononline.com/dotr2011/

It's exhausting keeping up with this. Someone else should keep watch for the next prediction. I can't be expected to keep saving the world every single time.

-dZ.

1. Pigeon
      Thumb Up

You saved us unrighteous ones

Even though only 7 signatures. Is voting closed after the date?

I'll make sure my underwear is clean tomorrow.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

How do you know?

Ho do you know it didn't happen? It could all be a cover up by the Satan-controlled media.

5. Filippo Silver badge

obviously, the prediction was correct

and we were just all left behind! :-P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

.According to Christianity

We're all filthy sinners so even by their own rules nobody could make the cut.

1. ian 22
        FAIL

R U Sure?

This may have been heaven all along.

In any case I call Apocalyptic Fail.

6. Hooch181
    Unhappy

I am seriously...

put out by this.

I signed up for the "Post Rapture orgy and looting party"!

1. Daniel 1

You think you've got it bad

How do you think large portions of the Bush administration feel, now that they've discovered that they're actually going to have to live with the consequences of their "Pre-Rapture looting and orgy party"?

1. Hooch181
        Thumb Up

Lol...

Yeah, they did get an early start!

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

@Hooch191

"I signed up for the "Post Rapture orgy and looting party"!"

Never mind. They'll be another one along in a bit.

2012 is almost just around the corner so plenty more EIN (end-is-neigh) nut jobs to come out of the woodwork.

7. Roger Varley

Only some are entitled.

Not everyone is guarenteed to be enraptured - only the select few. So, who isn't here today?

1. Cazzo Enorme

Re: Only some are entitled.

Perhaps that explains why my boss isn't in today ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

re: Perhaps that explains why my boss isn't in today ...

either that or your workplace can be read about in - http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/ ;)

8. Shonko Kid
    Jobs Horns

I find your lack of faith disturbing..

Perhaps the scale of the rapture is entirely dependent on the number of believers involved, as it will only be They Who Truly Believe that will experience it, as I understand it, the rest of us are left behind to look after the cats. If that is the case, then perhaps it did actually happen, but on such a overwhelming minor scale that no one noticed.

We have all been found wanting and God has left us. At least the two Steves are still here to keep us entertained.

1. Michael Dunn
      Pint

@Shonko Kid

Yeah, remember the story of Lot and the cities of the plain. Lot kept tendering the possibility of finding 50 - 20 - 10 - 5 just men, so the the Lord would not destroy the cities, and failed, so only his family was saved (except the inevitably curious wife, of course.)

The rapture did happen, and the two truly believing good people were taken up, leaving the rest of us sinners here below. Wonder who they were? Certainly not Blair or Bush!

At least the Lord left the brewers here - Alleluia.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I thought the best one...

Was the people explaning the lack of the end of the world by saying the delay was just one final test of their faith by God to make sure only the true believers were saved.

They're their own worst enemy, I tell ya.

1. Elmer Phud
      Megaphone

God'sTannoy?

'Hello, hello. Is this thing working?

The Rapture due today has been delayed due to poor weather conditions in the USA.

Management apologise for the delays to the service and aim to get the uplift rescheduled for later.

A replacement bus service is in place provided by FourHorsemen transport.'

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

To be honest,

I just feel sad for him. He really believed it so strongly, and his world must have fallen apart (and not in the way he wanted). And all his desperate followers, whose lives were such lacking in other meaning that they desperately had to believe in something, and really hoped for the Big Thing that would make it all worthwhile. I just hope they all manage to find meaning in something else and move on from it. It's all just so sad.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: To be honest,

I don't feel especially sad for him considering people have died or made themselves destitute because of his ravings.

1. Steve Evans

Oh the plus side...

They're aren't many fanatical follower of any teaching who have received such an obviously "Get a grip" slap round the chops, so maybe he might stop being quite such a loon.

Then again, he'll probably go completely postal now and go down in a hail of bullets whilst screaming "There is no god!!!! Muwahahahahaha" - He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who could just go quietly.

2. MonkeyBot

Re:, Re: To be honest,

So what?

They were idiots and we're far too toleranct of stupidity as it is.

1. g e

For sure

It's people like this that mean we ended up with safety labels saying 'WARNING: SHARP!' on knives and 'MAY CONTAIN NUTS' on bags of errr.. nuts

Remove the obvious safety warnings and let Darwin resume his course.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Happy

@g e

You forgot "do not use this microwave oven to dry your pets in"

3. Shakje

Indeed...

it's kind of like saying you feel sorry for a mass murderer because he wasn't taken to heaven like he believed after 'purifying' the world. Just because he's possibly bonkers doesn't mean he deserves sympathy after effectively exploiting many people to the point of breaking. I do agree that if you have to believe this tripe then you probably have more problems though, so yes, I do feel sorry for the victims.

4. Chris Thomas Alpha
        Go

actually....

I'm happy they are destitute and potentially homeless, I find it very enlightening that natural selection is working and I hope to encounter less christians as a result of this episode.

anything that moves these idiots closer to their end and further from me, the better. we have suffered thousands of years of this idiocy, it's about time we shuffled them along a big...

we should predict many more and hope a few more shuffle along :)

Re: actually....

Why would that make you *happy*? For 'idiots' read 'vulnerable, probably damaged people who latched on to the wrong source of salvation'.

I'm just feeling a bit more christian-small-c today, I guess.

Re: Perhaps

That was an amazing sentence at which I can only marvel.

2. Michael Dunn
                Meh

Re:Perhaps

Yes, an amazing sentence - but what did it mean?

2. Steven Roper
              Joke

Re: Perhaps

But the real question is, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

1. Michael Dunn

Re:perhaps

Come again?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Wow.

That has to be the longest thread I ever started. Thanks for feeling more sympathetic towards my point of view today Ms Bee. There do seem to be a lot of people here feeling highly uncharitable towards him and his unfortunate followers. Of course, he also makes me a little angry, and I am distressed that he has caused some people a lot of problems. But still, my over-riding feeling is just "sad". I don't think he actively wanted to cause trouble, and he was probably earnest in his preachings. I'm not a Christian, but I'm sure the bible would have something to say about being nice to him or something...

Oh, and- well done @Ken Snorker for invoking Godwin. Truly I feel my thread has been validated.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thank you Sarah

This guy is being treated as a harmless nutter when he is actually culpable for a great deal of distress and misery; and not just to his deluded followers, but to their friends and family (who may not be believers) who will have had to deal with the consequences of his actions.

Obviously I'm sure he'll be returning all those millions just as soon as the banks reopen.

1. Peter Simpson 1

There's a guestbook on his website

If he were a real Christian, he'd feel pretty awful about all the suffering he's caused with his silly prediction. Selling his media empire and doing something charitably worthwhile with the profits would go a long way towards balancing out all the bad karma he has accumulated.

// I bet he won't do that.

// I'd be very happy to be wrong.

6. Andus McCoatover

Might be a bit cruel on them

but the word "Darwin" springs readily to mind.

7. John Angelico
        FAIL

I haven't a scrap of sympathy for the defendant...

This raving nutter is a serial offender who has been exposed a couple of times already.

He is roundly condemned by most mainstream Christian denominations.

Don't give him any more media oxygen, or internet electrons!

8. Oliver 7
        Thumb Up

"people have died"

Candidates for the Darwin award? The irony is precious! ;-)

9. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Complicity?

Maybe some of them only believed his ravings because of the worldwide publicity he got.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Pint

Well...

In a cruel twist of irony that's evolution at work, right there. He seriously believed in something that never came to pass. He will now most likely not believed next time he opens his mouth and thus his status in the great scheme of things has been demoted. The followers he had, will drift away and latch on to something else.

That's how evolution works to a certain extent, those who have traits not worthy of being useful to the continued survival of a species, will fall by the wayside.

1. Marvin the Martian
        Flame

"will most likely not be believed next time"

Eh... RTFA: He predicted the same in 1994, and more believed him now than first time round. Being 89yold he probably hasn't many more dates to extract digitally-rectally (the chance that *he* wouldn't be around anymore on 21/05 was relatively high of course).

What I find bizarre in this all is the well-known line in the bible on the same topic saying that NOBODY except the Big Yin knows the dates involved in the endtimes (note: there's no rapture in the bible whatsoever; that's a Merrikan invention). So proposing a date implies equating yourself with God; such hubris (deadly sins and whatnot) would disqualify anybody from preaching you'd think?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.