back to article Robotic waiter service uses Kinect to see

We've already seen Microsoft's Xbox Kinect used as the eyes for a robot, but here it is again, in a device offered commercially. Say hello to the TurtleBot, a robotic assistant that can be customised to perform a whole array of tasks. Turtlebot The Bot can act as a waiter, moving edibles from one room to another. It also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Hanna

FULLY programmable?

I, for one, welcome our new Kinect-enabled overlords, shirley destined for greater things than mere nutrition conveyance and panoramic depictions...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Incorrectly named

It should be a Tortoisebot as when if falls over it wont be able to get up again.

In its natural habitat a turtlebot would simply right itself, unless the water was too shallow, or is this android perhaps expected to work in the bath?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Who Skinned a Dalek?

hmm now I have ideas..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

^^^ Terminator Icon

You know I almost asked for that icon to be binned the other day (the new icons article), and now here you are using it in the most apposite manner imaginable.

Well done, have a cigar.

2. stucs201
      Pint

Does that come with Jammy Dodgers?

I was going to complain it should be R2 for serving drinks (ROTJ). Then I remembered the British military daleks. *would you like a cup of teaaa?"

(Beer, I do not require tea)

4. Rick Brasche
    Terminator

with a little bit of fiberbboard and some doodads

gets a whisk and a plunger...EXTERMINATE!

I wonder what the royalty is to MS to use their proprietary OEM hardware on something like this? Maybe even using the official SDK as well.

I wonder what happens when there are more than two people in the room?

*needs a Dalek icon for welcoming our robotic overlords

5. Tom 38
    Terminator

All very good

But does it obey the three laws?

Also, kudos on us for surviving (the 4th) judgement day. Although Fox cancelling 'Chronicles probably changed the date again..

6. Bonce
    Joke

But you can only use it

If you've got 2.5 meters of clear floorspace between your TV and your sofa.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Hmmmm

That looks a little like a self serving free kinect and laptop to the enterprising opportunist

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Hmmm

Not a problem, just put an armoured shell on it and add weapons for defence.

I'd call it a Defensively Adept Laptop Enhanced Kinect meself.......

8. Paul 139

Roomba?

Is that a white Roomba at the bottom of it ?

9. Andy D 1

Most excitingly

Most excitingly of all, that looks like a lardy cake on the tray next to the muffin.

I haven't seen a lardy cake for years!

10. ratfox

What about Roomba?

iRobot has offered a fully programmable version of their vacuum cleaner for years...

In fact, a team at IBM has made a robot detecting hot spots in data centers out of it:

http://domino.research.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/papers/FB4733344CA23D5B852577C400542369

BTW, I believe the "turtle" thing is meant to appeal to old fans of LOGO...

11. Michael Ross

Was it just me...

... or did anyone else notice the K9 Telephone Box in that dude's living room?

12. Old Handle

That looks nothing like my living room

Let's see it navigate a room with books and shoes and cats strewn all over the place. Then I'll be impressed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like