back to article Apple spits out increment iOS version

Apple has shot out iOS version 4.3.2, fixing a couple of FaceTime bugs, and providing better connectivity when roaming, while giving itself another opportunity to close up opened handsets. The development team behind ultrasn0w; today's de rigueur jailbreaking tool, are warning users off the latest update for fear of finding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Never Learn

"Cupertino reasons that then the number of jailbroken devices will fall and the alternative application stores will dry up and, eventually, the hackers will get bored and find another hobby."

Clearly someone doesn't understand the hacker mindest.

1. Sean Gray

They could be right...

... but I'm not sure it'd be a case of them finding another hobby - more likely a better phone.

Can we have an android icon?

1. Steve Evans

Somehow...

I can't ever imagine Apple releasing their control over the phone, and until people can install whatever application they like, be it animated boobies or whatever, there will always be a market for jail breaking techniques.

1. JarekG

Mmmmmm

animated boobies...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Is it me...

Or does this just seem a bit petty at times?

Software updates will often undo or mess with customized firmwares, it's a risk taken when anyone decides to jailbreak or otherwise fiddle. fair enough.

If having locked down machines is so important to Apple, why do they release products which can be jailbroken with relative ease? Oh right; because actually spending the time and money on a reasonably secure platform would make it harder to bring out new iterations of products each year!

So the end result is aggressive patching? It seems a bit like Apple wants to have their cake and eat it too.

1. ratfox

Relative ease?

It may be me, but I think that you underestimate the difficulty here, both of unlocking the platform and of developing a platform that cannot be unlocked at all.

Anyway, Apple has probably done a cost-analysis and estimated how much money they were willing to stop people from unlocking their iThings. I believe users are not that bothered by the patching... Except those that do want to unlock their toys, but that is the point, innit?

2. Robert Synnott

RE: Is it me...

It's unlikely that phone manufacturers, including Apple, care that much about jailbreaking/rooting; if they did, they'd have gone for exotic solutions from the start, whereas seriously hard to root/jailbreak devices have only turned up in the last year (ignoring the Motorola locked bootloaders, which is a slightly different issue). I suspect that it's largely telecom pressure; nothing must endanger the all-important paid tethering!

3. Steve Evans

Re: Is it just me...

I wouldn't call unlocking an iphone easy.

Why haven't they made it 100% impossible? Well I think they might have tried, but remember we are talking about a company who can't make a scheduled alarm ring at the correct when daylight saving changes, and has tried to fix that several times without 100% success!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So nothing to do with

fixing FaceTime crashes then. Why do you think Apple are that bothered what hackers think about their patching policy or go about trying to upset us? We can hack, but they don't have to look out for us any more than if you make yourself a bike jump-jump ramp you are obliged to make it a height convenient for other riders who might use it at some other time. They've drawn the line as to what they are responsible for, we want to do something else, they don't have any obligation to nanny us or think about how they can make our lives easy. You are one the one hand saying they are being negligent in making the phone easy to jailbreak and then complaining they are "aggressively" patching. It sounds to me like it's nothing to do with Apple wanting to have their cake and eat it and everything to do with you wanting to bitch even if it means contradicting yourself. Sheesh.

3. Cthonus
    Stop

dont mention bricks...

jailbreaking <> unlocking.

Unlocking is removing the carrier restrictions on a handset.

Please don't segue terminology.

1. Mectron

jailbreaking = unlocking

it is exacly the same thing, removing illegal DRM infecting your phone.

4. ZenCoder

One Killer reasons for jailbreaking.

You still can only add music from one and only one iTunes library and only on the condition that you erase all existing music iOS device first.

You cannot retrieve any music from your iOS device period.

Those are two huge reasons to jailbreak.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@zencoder

I could care less about either of those things.

Why would I want to add music from more than one library?

Why retrieve when all your music is safely stored on your PC?

My main reason for jailbreaking is still to be ALLOWED MY OWN FUCKING SMS TONE.

1. Steven Raith
        FAIL

Why retrieve when all your music is safely stored on your PC?

Er, becaue 90% of users don't have a good backup system, and so when their PC dies in a non-economically/data recoverable way, they discover that they can't copy all their ripped*, non-iTunes content from their iDevice as they expected to be able to - after all, it's just files, innit?

Ah, wait, no, it's an iTunes DB, designed to be as obfuscated as possible.

Steven R

*ripped, pirated, insert non-itunes euphemism of choice here.

1. Michael Kean
          Happy

You can get it back...

There are a number of free programs for exploring the content of your iPod and retrieving said audio files. As an IT Consultant I deal with this regularly when someone gets a computer after they first got the iPod and want to keep their music that they ripped on another computer.

5. Seamaster
    Thumb Up

One big fix for original iPad punters

This fixes a big, if little reported problem original iPad owners have had connecting to some 3G networks.

1. Ted Treen
      Boffin

Maybe a huge assumption...

I would have thought that if the problem is "little reported", then although it might be big to a sufferer, it isn't widespread.

If it isn't widespread then it probably isn't an inherent problem, system or hardware.

6. Mectron

Why enfore THE LAW one step further?

If jailbreaking your idevice is LEGAL. then lcoking them in the first place should be illegal. Apple is ILLEGALLY LOCKING UP it's devices. a fine of a couple of billions (for breaking the law on a planetary scale) and a court order preventing any kind of DRM one the iphone/ipad/ipod touch will be the entire planet happy.

1. Ted Treen
      Thumb Down

Pls think first...

"If jailbreaking your idevice is LEGAL. then lcoking them in the first place should be illegal."

Complete non-sequitur.

Unfastening my case is legal. Does that mean fastening it is illegal?

Modifying my Mac is legal - even if it means modifying the case. Does that mean that providing an unmodified Mac in an unmodified case is illegal?

And about a thousand other valid analogies.

I presume the upper-case rant was followed by wiping of spittle from the screen.

In summary, I've never experienced any nasties in Mac OSX. I've seen lots in Windows' various incarnations. I'm quite happy that my iPhone only loads apps from the app store. I'm not sufficiently paranoid/outraged/insecure that I feel the need - or any just cause - to rant in a highly exaggerated manner about 1984, fascist control, or any of the other more colourful phrases found on any Reg forum which mentions the iPhone.

If you don't like the way the iPhone operates, then buy something else - or is common sense anathema to the rabid anti-Cupertino mob these days?

Hell, attacking (your own) Dell PC with a sledgehammer is perfectly legal (and may even be common sense)...

Is that nice Mr Michael the Son of Satan because he supplies un-hammered Dells?

7. DEAD4EVER
    Stop

apple lockdown

this is why il never go to apple because they lockdown all there devices so you cant use anything apart from what apple allows you to use its pathetic

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like