back to article Record Patch Tuesday with 17-bulletin bumper crop

Microsoft is lining up a record equaling 17 security bulletins, nine rated critical and eight classified as important, as part of the April edition of its monthly Patch Tuesday updates. The 12 April security update batch will collectively address 64 security vulnerabilities. Bugs in Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James O'Shea

Doomed. All doomed

I think that I'll be using my Mac all next week. I won't even turn the WinBox on until after the dust settles on this one...

1. jonathanb Silver badge
      Gates Horns

Still doomed

In other news (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/07/microsoft_office_2011_sp1_apple/) Office 2011 SP1 is coming out, so you can't escape it.

1. James O'Shea

not this time

I don't have office 2011, so I _can_ escape that.

2. Ilgaz

windows updates are more easy

All updates on windows comes in little, manageable and most important of all, ignorable (for some systems) little msi packages.

Mac updates are nowhere closer to that. Ask any Mac admin or even a non xcode developer what kind of paranoia you must live for each machine, including imaging gigantic disks (which are common).

Ms gets a lot of whining press/amateur blogger flame, fanboy trolling for the amount of updates but it is a right thing they do.

Apple on the other hand can easily say "here, we upgraded libxml to a new major version, deal with it"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And all timed perfectly to coincide with the impending US Government

shutdown. Ooh, that's gonna be a lot of unpatched servers just sitting there.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

To Save Time

Let me save all the fanboys the predictable round postings of:

I use Linux/Mac which is better-safer-more-secure than "Windoze". What a joke. Why do people still use "Windoze"? I use Umbongo so it won't affect me. I use Mac so it won't affect me. "Windoze" is as full of holes as a Swiss cheese.

And all the other oft repeated ad-nauseum statements that usually follow any article about "Windoze" and patches.

1. Andrew 63
      Coat

Hmm.. Cheese

I think to be fair, swiss cheese has less holes than windows.

I use all three platforms at work. Never a problem with the macs or linux boxes!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

And can I add...

I can't believe that you still have to press Start to Shutdown in Windoze!!!1111oneoneoneeleventy.

Why would you want to Start a Shutdown???? Surely you should press Stop! As in I want to Stop a Shutdown!!!!!

1. Matt 5
        FAIL

You're either a moron or a troll

You don't press Start to shutdown. Which is to say, clicking the start button does not shutdown your machine <<queue bsd jokes here>>

You press Start to 'Start a task'. From the presented tasks you can then click shutdown, to shutdown.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
          Pint

Re: You're either a moron or a troll

Umm, he's *obviously* trolling.

You, Matt 5, are clearly in need of refreshment. Stop working at once and go to the pub.

1. Ilgaz

help label says start

rollover to the button, wait a while, it will say "start" on little label.

why are you trying to argue with a troll anyway? :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

If you start a shutdown in error

You would stop a shutdown by aborting it.

It is semantic. If shutdown is a task or process, then you would rightly want to start it to shutdown Windows. If on the other hand you are expecting not to have to actually think, and further expecting to stop everything that is running by clicking on a big red stop button, then clearly, calling that button "start" would be daft. But the start button is there to start things, such as a shutdown.

Not that I am defending Windows (perish the thought!) but your logic is flawed.

Have another beer and it will all make sense!

3. Anon

And can I add...

Here, this one's even funnier: in Mac OS X, you click on a picture of an apple to shut down! Where's the connection there? Start/Stop Apples/Pears?

And that icon in Windows isn't labelled Start (any more), and you can set the computer to shut down when you press the power switch.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No start button?

... not quite....On my Windows 7 box if I hover over the big round button on the left of the task bar it puts up a little balloon telling me it is the 'Start' button.

4. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

mega fail!!

"Stop! As in I want to Stop a Shutdown!!!!!"

if you stop a shutdown, then it wont shut down....

not a very good troll....

3. Ammaross Danan
      FAIL

Holes and Cheese

"Why would you want to Start a Shutdown????"

It hasn't been a "start" button since XP was replaced by Vista. It's the "Windows" button. Hence the icon on it.

""Windoze" is as full of holes as a Swiss cheese."

Wow. Quotes AND slang spelling. Grow up much? Either way, if you don't like all the leaky holes in your Windows box, pull up your Windows Firewall and close those open holes. You don't need SMB? Close the ports. The difference between Windows and Linux in this instance is Linux asks you what ports you want to open during install (since it has them all [well, almost all] closed by default), whereas Windows just assumes you'll want all the "it just works" file sharing, printer sharing, DNLA, etc to work.

Windows hasn't been "swiss cheese" since WinXP.

4. John G Imrie

Why does the reg cover this any more

Reg hacks don't cover updates from Apple, or Gentoo, or Red Hat, so why Microsoft?

1. Alister

Ummm...

Because this plethora of Microsoft updates is likely to cause lots of Windoze boxen to fall over, so it's a warning to all Windoze Admins to book their holiday now (w/c 11th April - don't forget)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is it?

It's been a hell of a long time since a Windows update caused any of my Windows boxen to fall over - you must be doing something wrong.

I occasionally encounter patches that won't apply, and have to spend a few minutes with the google machine to find out how to sort that out, but Windows updates aren't something that I lose any sleep over.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Umm, yea they do

I see two articles regarding Ubuntu's latest offering published 1-Apr.

25-Mar: "Red Hat rolls up RHEL 6.1 beta"

21-Mar: "Oracle puts out Solaris 11 compatibility tester" regarding impending Solaris upgrade.

14-Mar: OpenSUSE 11.4 article.

10-Mar: Apple iOS 4.3

24-Feb: Article on BIND issue (not strictly an OS, but more likely to affect non-Microsoft machines)

21-Feb: Article on the upgrade to Debian 6.

3. Don Mitchell

Biased reporting

Because they dislike Microsoft, and are continually attempting to imply it is technologically inferior.

The greatest disappointment I have in the open source movement is that it didn't create a new state of the art OS, but instead just ported tired obsolete UNIX to the PC. NT is showing its age too, but at least in 1990, it was state of the art, which cannot be said for any point in the history of UNIX.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought my abacus had no security flaws...

... I was wrong.

Just last week, I knew something was wrong, as the balls wouldn't slide around properly.

Turned out was infected, and someone had got in via a pole overflow vulnerability.

I won't be using it until an update is released.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Microsoft

"Microsoft is lining up a record equaling 17 security bulletins, nine rated critical and eight classified as important..."

Yep, they still release software that's reminiscent of a large pair of yellowed pants with suspicious brown marks in them. (There are less holes in a pair of pants though!)

7. Adam Trickett
    Linux

All software has bugs in it

All software has bugs, the more complicated it is and/or the more of it there is the more bugs you are going find.

Windows is large and it is complex, it has lots of bugs this is hardly surprising. If it didn't have lots of bugs that would be surprising.

I make no comment about Macs or Linux/BSD distros I don't use but Debian is large and it has bugs. I've not installed most of it, so most of the time bugs do not affect me but I patch my boxes regularly (not quite automatically) and they are fine. Unlike Windows I don't worry about Debian boxes in the the same way ,but that does not mean that Debian is bug free or that patches may break things.

ALL SOFTWARE HAS BUGS!

8. ITS Retired
    Alert

Microsoft Trustworthy Computing

That's where the guy said he worked, from in the link at the end of the article.

Anyway, I think I'll be waiting a bit to install this Batch-O-Patches on the 5 XP machines I am responsible for.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like