back to article Interwebs stunned by musical atrocity

I'd really like to thank the Beeb this afternoon for flagging up Rebecca Black's Friday, which has become a bit of a hit down at iTunes despite provoking the desire to tear your ears off with pliers. "Fun, loving, 13 year old" Rebecca has proved that you can sell just about anything if you get a net buzz going, even if that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Code Monkey
    Dead Vulture

Quality Control

You could have had some consideration for your readers (and a more curmudgeonly lot you'd be hard-pressed to find) and just, y'know, kept it to your damned selves!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Quality Control

Listen, the BBC inflicted it on me, so why shouldn't you lot suffer too?

1. Someone Else Silver badge
        Coat

Thank Ghod...

...we here in the Colonies don't have the Beeb "helping" us in that way.

(We just have to deal with that infinite oxymoron, Fox News.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

"the BBC inflicted it on me, "

I don't watch TV and listen to Radio 4 so I nearly missed it completely.

So close but not close enough, dammit.

Will beer stop me ears bleeding?

3. adnim

Because

more attention and free publicity is given to something which is best ignored.

2. Chris Harden
    Unhappy

No Comment

Words...dont even....what????

"Yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday, tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes after!"

Lyrical Genius!

(hmm although, come to think about it - it's not too far from the Jackson 5s ABC)

Scuse me, I need to go wash my ears with bleech.

1. David Dawson
      Pint

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

There ain't no such thing as mind bleach.

Anyone know a cheap lobotomist?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe not, but...

There is always unicorn chaser.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/unicorn-chaser.html

2. hplasm
        Pint

Err...

Diamond White?

2. Jeremy 2
      Coat

"Yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday, tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes after!"

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings, is that you?!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Wow

All my teeth have fallen out as a result it listening to that song.

<--- keyboard vomit

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Autotune needs to be retired

Finally a singer with worse Autotune excesses than that queen of American pop, Ke$ha, combined with a lyrical ability that makes the Soulja Boy rapper look like the Beatles!

4. min

...apparently a title is required...

i heard this thing for the first time last wednesday. it was painful, ruinous, nauseating stuff.. quite terrible.

but then again, it taught me what order the days of the week go in. good, solid educational stuff from this thirteen year old prat.

1. RichyS

Bo selecta

Personally, I learnt the days of the week from Craig David...

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Unhappy

Spelling error.

"...which has become a bit of a hit down at iTunes..."

You seem to have dropped an "s" in there somewhere.....

6. Anomalous Cowturd
    Grenade

Bless her.

Sounds like she has a bit of a cold.

Take one of these, and go for a lie down.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and now the wikipedia entry

There's been resistance on the grounds that she/the rendition just weren't "notable" though I suspect a few editors thought it was just plain crap idea to put her in the encyclopaedia-anyone-can-etc .

That a certain high-waisted musical impressario thinks it is in anyway a good thing (the rendition not they wikipedia artticle) should be a warning shot across society's bows.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Does being famous for fifteen minutes qualify you for Wikipedia?

Anyway if the condition of entry is to be "not able", then......

I still haven't heard this song. I agree that it isn't dignified for adults to sneer at children.

The radio version of [Dead Ringers] once had a sketch that imagined Anne Robinson from the [Weakest Link] game show judging the pictures her children had drawn that day at primary school and dismissing "The Weakest Child" from the family. The message was that it's a horrible thing to do.

Then again, many years ago, possibly on the [Red Dwarf] writers' radio show [Son of Cliché], there was a sketch of an archaeologist viciously verbally ripping apart cave paintings, that at the time I thought I was brilliant. "This is cack. This is worse than that Egyptian cack..."

8. Fred Goldstein

One note wonder

Even Lewis can't claim that putting this on the air is not harmful radiation!

I'm impressed that they wrote a "tune" with a single note held over multiple bars, which is bad enough, but then ran her "voice" through an autotuner! She couldn't even hold one note?

9. David 45

'Orrible

Stomach-churning stuff, indeed! Better than syrup-of-figs (old English remedy) for loosening all the dodgy intestinal bits.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

'This video is not available in your country.'

First time I've ever been glad to see that!

1. KjetilS
      Unhappy

@'This video is not available in your country.'

I really wish the same was true for Norway :(

11. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Down

I liked it.

In the same way that I like having nails driven through my hands, feet, knees and testicles.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Catchy

but then again, so was the plague.

13. Darryl
    Thumb Down

EEEEWwwwwww

"I was going through so much pain in my life and considered ending it all, but then I heard this song."

Are you sure that wasn't a typo? Perhaps they meant:

"I was going through so much pain in my life and considered ending it all, WHEN I heard this song."

14. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

This is a problem with 99c a tune

It is not hard at all to spend the money on totally rubbish. Perhaps iTunes really has a damaging effect on the quality of the music in general.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another reason to rejoice at my separation...

...is that I no longer share a home with a teenager who will insist on playing crap like this on endless loop at high volume.

This shit would give Bieber a toothache.

Okay, I know I'm sounding a little like my Dad here, but the youth of today really don't seem to understand decent music; it's just whatever is cynically pushed at them as the next big thing, and they pass it on and play it as if it had any kind of merit...

I despair, really I do...

1. James Hughes 1

it's not all bad out there

Was in a pub on Sat night - band playing - lots of good rock, drummer did an amazing solo.

Lead guitar was about 18, drummer was 13. Awesome.

None of this pansy flapping shite in my local let me tell you. Until the band went off, and the yoof got hold of the juke box. Had to drink heavily from that point onwards.

1. serviceWithASmile
        Thumb Up

doubleplus

it really isn't all that bad out there, it just seems that any music that ever required any kind of talent (or a real musical instrument - no autotune doesnt count) is being sidelined.

it's not really, it's just that the talentless, vapid tools simon cowell keeps hiring make more noise and get more coverage - learn not to listen and you will hear the real and talented bands out there whose bond is not about money but about love for what they do. Not just talking about rock, the same is true for most if not all genres. pubs are generally the best place to find these people.

If you too want quality music and have an innate distrust for the words "protools" and "MIDI" then follow my 3 easy steps for musical nirvana:

1. don't watch x-factor

a. avoid tv in general (optional but recommended)

2. listen to internet radio

3. go to small venues for gigs often

a. have a pint (optional but recommended)

follow these simple rules and a musically rich life shall be yours!

is anybody running a rage-against-the-machine-for-christmas-number-one this year?

2. HFoster

Thing is...

Every generation says that, but the fact of the matter is, we're all prone to rose tinting our youth. My mum often bangs on about songs from her day having good lyrics. I pointed out Toots & The Maytals "Bam Bam". Conversation over.

I know for a fact that, in among all the screw-faced Jungle I listened to as a teen, was more than a few cheesily bad songs.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The words.....

..."Vogon" and "poetry" spring to mind for some reason!

1. '); DROP TABLE comments; --
      Thumb Up

But...

...even Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings' dead duck poem is a lyrical masterpiece compared to this!

17. GuyC
    Stop

Enough Already

Thankfully I'm tone deaf, but even then it was starting to get to me....I'm gonna go lie down and listen to the hamster dance

18. Dan Price
    Grenade

Ouch.

I managed to put up with it for 49 seconds before I suffered a spontaneous epistaxis. Delightful.

19. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I haven't heard it.

But I'm quite worried about the new series of [Russell Howard's Good News], on BBC Three.

20. peter 5 Silver badge

Okay people

Time to admit the track you paused in order to listen to Becca. Consider it a spot test of your of musical taste. And no cheating either. My shuffle had reached Missy Higgins: This is how it goes.

1. Paul Owen 1
      WTF?

Death metal

Saw this on FB this morning and didn't know what it was parodying, as until about 10mins ago I hadn't suffered the indignity of hearing the 'original' - and I wish I still hadn't.

That said, I quite like the parody http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi00ykRg_5c

Enjoy!

21. nichomach
    Grenade

Link should only have been posted...

...with a "Not Safe For Anywhere" warning.

22. Jeremy 2
    Grenade

I managed...

...58 seconds. I deserve a bloody medal.

<~~ because even that would be more tuneful.

23. Proud Father
    Thumb Up

I am pleased to announce...

...that not all teenagers are like this:

"...is that I no longer share a home with a teenager who will insist on playing crap like this on endless loop at high volume."

My teenage daughter heard this and promptly denounced it as total crap.

Good girl.

24. jimbarter
    Stop

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Nothing new hear (sic) birdy song, no one quite like grandma, grandad etc.

Move along please

25. Pypes
    Stop

Sod the aweful song

What the hell is a "13 year old girl" doing riding in the back of a convertible with her "friends", tarted up like a cheap whore with designs on spending her weekend "partying?"

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Alert

Re: sod the aweful [sic] song

Also the association with some mid-30's guy in his flashy car and huge watch is a bit worrying...

1. min

RE: sod the awful song.

is the older geezer with watch and terrible rap not Usher's dad?

26. Chris Gregory
    WTF?

Poor old autotuner . . .

Bet it had to go and have a long cool down after processing this one

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

real life rating

When smartphones with object recognition get integrated into glasses some bright spark will create software for it that will enable you to comment on and "thumb up" or "thumb down" real world objects - such as places, buildings and people.

Watching tv and looking at famous people/places/events will never be the same with those glasses. Can't wait to to read the comments!

28. KevinLewis
    Unhappy

I feel ill

And it's only Monday.. Monday, Monday, yesterday was Sunday Sunday, tommorrow only Tuesday Tuesday then comes the next day...

As they say in the states... I need to BARF.

29. Johnny Canuck

This is not a title

My favorite quote!

"'Forget Bieber fever, I have the Black Plague"

30. Mostor Astrakan
    Thumb Up

Oh come on...

It isn't that bad when you turn down the volume as low as it will go. It's a cute girl imitating a goldfish. I bet you, if Beethoven had been around at the time, it would have cheered him up no end, and convinced him that his ironic condition could be a source of joy as well as sadness. And she got the days of the week in their proper order too, producing a work of chronological excellence. After all, even the Mamas and the Papas didn't dare go beyond monday, the Bangles famously put "Sunday" *behind* "Monday", to universal ridicule. All you haters simply don't understand the deeper meaning of this piece. The passing of time. The reflection upon the fragility of existence. Philistines!

1. Stratman

title

Been done already. The Merseybeats "Friday on my Mind" also managed to correctly order the days of the (working) week.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.