back to article Microsoft Kinect powers DIY Eye of Sauron

Microsoft's Kinect has been wielded for numerous applications, but now it has been used to create a giant eyeball that follows you round the room. The team at The Technology Studio put this homemade Eye of Sauron together using a Kinect, a PC and a Puffersphere. The Puffersphere, a spherical display system from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice

When the pufferfish site recovers from the onslaught I'll have a closer look because its dead right now :S

2. Riscyrich
    Big Brother

Awesome !

...that is all.

3. JDX Gold badge

title

EEK

4. brain_flakes

One accessory to rule them all

Neat, but surely nothing that couldn't be done with a cheap £10 webcam and facetracking software. It seems that any old idea + Kinect is a shortcut into tech news websites.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

You forgot to close off with...

...pah! Humbug!

2. Gerhard Mack

not really

The Kinect uses infrared to better detect your position meaning this will work in poor contrast conditions or poor light.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Not really

Even if the Kinnect is betterat locating people, they haven't used it in this demo. They don't appear to have calculated depth, only angle. Note how the eye looks out past the cameraman at the extreme angles -- it doesn't even know that it's in a different location from the camera.

Not technically impressive.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can also be achieved...

Simply by using OpenCV you can track a person in a 2D image, kinect isn't useful for this any more than a basic webcam would be

6. jai

sweeeet

i want one for xmas kthxbye!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Getting closer?

I have always had a dream of my flat screen TV with either the HAL or Auto (HAL knock-off from WALL-E) interface on it and responding to voice commands. Some day perhaps... a fellow can dream can't he?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Holy...

Screw Xmas I want it now!.

Have one in the window, so that when someone comes to the door it activates muahahaha Just the thing for dealing with those pesky Jehovah's Witnesses

1. Dave Bell
      Coat

...Moley!

A friend tells me that it's her sword and cloak which scares the bible thumpers: that and pitching her voice lower than they expect. "Come in, I've been waiting for you."

9. Thomas 4

Heh

You could put a bunch of tentacles around the base of one of these and tell Lucy Orr that it's a World of Warcraft raid boss. She'd love it.

10. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

According to the linked article:

"...the projector’s super-special Super Umami lens...."

Super Umami eh? I want one. If the novelty wears off I can always eat it and enjoy the fantastic flavour.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like