back to article HBGary's nemesis is a '16-year-old schoolgirl'

Forbes has bagged an interview with the "teenage girl" who supposedly played a key role in hacking security firm HBGary on behalf of Anonymous. HBGary Federal earned the enmity of the loosely knit hacker collective by threatening to expose its membership at the B-Sides security conference last month. The security consultancy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I'm 12 years old and what is this?

brilliant

1. Matt Piechota
      Paris Hilton

SD card?

What's the point of using an SD card, other than it being a bit easier to hide? I'd think to be leet[0] she'd use Live CDs.

[0] I use that word to demonstrate how un-leet I am.

Paris, because I'm trying to make some tenuous joke so the people on the internet think I'm cool, interesting, and/or funny.

1. Number6

Faster

It'll probably boot faster off an SD card (I haven't tested this...), and if it's generated from a bootable .iso image and used read-only, then it'll be almost as safe as a CD but more convenient to carry.

2. Jason DePriest
        Unhappy

nom nom

In the interview, she says she can chew up and eat the micro-SD card to destroy evidence if needed. It's harder to eat CD and probably worse on your tummy, as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it's

It's a usb cable, I'll show you later.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Kayla

Anagram of AKA LY

(Yes, I know it's "lie", but that wouldn't have made a very convincing name, would it?)

1. Jerome 0

Also...

It's also an anagram of LA YAK. Is Jeff Minter living in Los Angeles these days?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am Sparticus

I am Sparticus

1. Thomas 4

No, I'm Sparticus

...and so's my wife.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

No. I'm Spartacus.

Oh, hang on a minute...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Classic...

Times like this it's worth remembering the anonymous phrase "there are no girls on the internet"!

1. hplasm
      Happy

On the Internet-

Nobody knows you are a dog.

1. Apocalypse Later

My dog says...

...that she can tell.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

won't let me post without a title

This looks legit

6. Monkey Bob
    Welcome

There are only two types of people on the internet

16 year old girls, & people pretending to be 16 year old girls.

7. Shane Kent
    Alien

16 year old hacker or...

fall girl for the father? If caught she is unlikely to do time and he would be guaranteed to do time.

I kinda wonder about the comment the father knows but does nothing about it, as a father should he not be keeping his daughter away from organized criminals?

I also wondered this of the Montreal kid that took down CNN, etc. His father would have done time, but the kid got a slap on the wrist after claiming responsibility.

If she is caught she should have to prove she did it, otherwise they look at the father, family, older friends, etc.

1. Ted Dannington
      Stop

Hoho

>Organised Criminals

Please get out more.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Shane Kent

If anyone is caught the authorites have to prove he/she did it.

He/she or whoever does not have to prove anything.

3. Jon 52

based on what

Your basing that asumption it was dad on what, the fact she is a she? If it was a 16y/o boy you would not be saying it was farja.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re

"organized criminals"

These people are just as much "organized criminals" as Martin Luther King was.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm on the internet, and I'm a dog.

Aw shoot.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bullshit

there are no girls on the Internet

10. Cyberspice
    FAIL

Why the quotes?

Why do write "Teenage girl" like that? You seem as dubious as Forbes is about the age or gender of the individual concern. Of course there's no way they can be that young, or heaven forbid, a girl! Way to go with the misogyny.

I would like to point out that I was 13 when I learnt to program and was hacking not long after. This was the end of the 70s and early 80s. If you read Bruce Sterling's Hacker Crackdown (the book about Operation Sundevil from the very early 90s) you'll see there were also teenage female hackers then.

There have always been teenage female hackers.

You fail!

Love

Ms Cyberspice

1. foo_bar_baz
      Pint

Totally feasible

Any "it's her father/brother/uncle" comments are narrow minded, sexist, agist, bigoted, etc.

However, we're dealing with Anonymous here - see Rules of the Internet.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

There are no rules except 34

I know (and have met in the flesh) a female member of Anonymous.

Paris, because like me, she is neither a member of Anonymous or an attractive woman.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>implying that distrusting Anonymous is misogyny

fail yourself

3. c3
      Megaphone

what are you doing on the computer ?

the computer is not in the kitchen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And where

is my sammich?

4. Jon 52

yep

I retired from hacking at the age of 16 when I left school. I was a pretty good little script kiddie back in the day.. scourge of school admins (not hard when they barely knew how the shift key worked)

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

sudo make me a sandwich.

Yep.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@cyberspice

Teenage Mutant Female Hackers refer to themselves as "hackesses"! I read it in P56-02.TXT so it's true.

You, sweatheart, are a 30-something balding male dwelling in thy mother's root cellar.

I am Cyberposh; I am a hackess! I am a 40-year-^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H PH33R!

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

RE: Why the quotes?

Ms Cyberspice is correct, there are plenty of pimply teenage girls, just as lacking in social skills as male skiddies, looking for a sense of self-worth through a bit of mindless internet vandalism....

Of course, the fact the Xyrix is a well-known braggart and attention-seeker also makes it likely that he's just claiming kudos for the hack when he probably had nothing to do with it.

11. Chad H.
    Joke

lulz

Sounds like our Anonymous friends having a right laugh.

12. Adam T

Wouldn't want to upset that...

...scary little girl. She'll be single forever.

Wasn't there an article recently that claimed flash drives are less secure (harder to keep clean) than HDDs?

1. lIsRT

abc and/or 123

Easier to hide, swallow or otherwise "lose" though.

1. TakeTheSkyRoad

I've never tried it

but you can probably also shred an SD card in much the same way with you can shred a chipped credit card. Probably need a better then cheapo shredder tho.

Not much use if you get busted on the street though lol

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can think over over 9000 reasons why this doesn't add up

> Implying it isn't all a hoax

14. John Sanders
    Pirate

ARRR!!!!

ARRRR!!!!!!!!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOLWUT

"Each night she wipes every one of her web accounts and deletes every email in her inbox," Forbes reports. "She has no physical hard drive and boots her computer from a microSD card," it adds.

Is that a service provider that keeps a backup anyway and also logs everything.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: LOLWUT

"Is that a service provider that keeps a backup anyway and also logs everything....."

... on "her" neighbours WiFi connection.

*Hides from Cyberspice*

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Oh goody

"Susan Thunder" has a daughter.

I'm so happy.

17. Anton Ivanov

Yeah

And I am the tooth fairy.

Yeah... Right...

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents

1. LaeMing
      Happy

Ah,

So you are saying the FBI did the hack?

18. hayseed
    Happy

Ye Auld Proverb

The Internet - Men are Men, Women are Men, and Children are Police

19. Whyaduck
    Go

And she...

...swallows the SD card every night when she's done. It's a good thing she's regular.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

16? Doubt it.

Great publicity stunt though.

21. This post has been deleted by its author

22. Morpho Devilpepper
    Flame

I refute the validity of a freedom-fighter...

...whose representative demographic incorporates the entire world's Justin Bieber fanbase. And I revile anyone who hero-worships a bunch of script kiddies who couldn't spell their own names if their lives depended on it.

When did we all decide that criminal acts are cool as long as some authority figure is embarrassed by it? All you Anonymous supporters...keep in mind who your heroes are when they steal your identity and credit records in order to fund their "fight against evil."

1. Chris Harden
      Happy

proof

Unless you have proof that Anon hackers are related to 419s stfu. gtfo and diaf kthnx bai (and other such 4 letter words).

Saying that, you do get points for giving me a nice mental image of Dade Murphey (ask your nerdy parents kids) sitting in his shades listening to Justin Bieber while he hacks.

2. Chris Harden
      FAIL

Did it

Ya, it works quite well:

http://v3ga.net/YouTubeMixer/

then mix up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efhrCxI4J0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4

and you must watch it through to the end as punishment for being such a tool.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like