back to article Foreign Office endorses 'free' Microsoft travel advice API

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has endorsed an application programming interface created by Microsoft, after the software giant took the government department's RSS feeds and cobbled together an API. While a Commons committee is busily scrutinising the government's IT procurement record, the Foreign Office has been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LawLessLessLaw
    Boffin

Oh BBC, pot kettle

BBC News has learnt that the Government has spent tens of thousands of pounds developing iPhone applications.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10514367

"It seems many Government bodies have given in to the temptation to spend money on fashionable gimmicks at a time when they are meant to be cutting back on self-indulgent wastes of money", he told BBC News.

BBC News iPhone and iPad app launches in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10738882

2. Magnus_Pym
    Stop

Even the FO should be aware...

... there is no such thing as a free lunch. Especially when large corporation are involved.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Gravy Train

I wonder what 'thank yous' these people get for promoting Microsfot stuff.

Yes, that was an euphemism!

What is more, I'm not at work so that's why I'm trawling the whole of El Reg today :)

4. The BigYin

Free != Open

Why is our government turning over what should be public information to the hands of a private company? One that is hostile to open standards?

5. Dave Murray
    Thumb Down

Paying developers

If they tried shopping around I'm sure they could find developers they could afford. I would develop whatever they want for half the usual cost of a UK government website and support it with updates for 2 years.

1. The BigYin

If they published their data...

...in an open format, then I am sure that people would spontaneously develop APIs and apps. But that wouldn't get the civil servants their free meals at top restaurants and "fact finding" trips to the Seychelles.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They do.

Microsoft is taking the free, public data and re-publishing it. Primarily so that they can get a free plug for Azure and Windows Phone 7 from the FCO.

1. The BigYin

And...

...MS will wait a while for devs to to use their new API and become dependent on it, then suddenly start charging for access. Like I said "Free != Open".

And why is this page trying to snoop on us with "RioTracking2.jsp"?

6. bep

You paid for it

The data I mean, you Brits did anyway. So long as Microsoft aren't getting exclusive access to the data, I fail to see the problem. This is what Gov 2.0 or whatever is supposed to be about. As far as I can see this doesn't prevent anyone doing the same for iPhone, Android, Symbian, whatever. It would be nice, however, if the Foreign Office used the opportunity to encourage others to do the same on other platforms

7. James 100

No lockin here, just repackaging public info

"Why is our government turning over what should be public information to the hands of a private company? One that is hostile to open standards?"

They are handing the information out freely to *everyone* - it just happens Microsoft use that data to produce something more useful for people. Not really something to complain about. Pretty much what the whole news media exists for, come to think of it: gathering public information and repackaging it for general consumption, as TheReg is doing with this news story itself. I'm no MS fanboy, but they aren't doing us any harm here, or locking any public information away.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like