back to article Doctor Who inspires another game, this time MMOG

The Doctor will return later this year in the form of a free-to-play MMO game, announced by the BBC today. Doctor Who: Worlds in Time invites players to save the universe by solving puzzles and completing "pulse-pounding" challenges. Game developer Three Rings, famed for its MMOG Puzzle Pirates, says the game will "capture …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

surree its free

But how much will it cost those of us on the other side of the pond?

2. John H Woods Silver badge
    Happy

Lego Dr Who...

... *please* ...

1. andrewsi

Not Lego, but...

There's a range of Doctor Who construction toys launching from Character Options around Easter time:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/38124/doctor-who-character-building-figures

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Free at the point of service, but not free

Might I respectfully suggest that someone is paying for it, and it is likely the license-paying public.

Unless this is a BBC worldwide venture, in which case where is the money coming from?

It sound great and everything, but is this not really stepping a little outside the BBC's core remit?

1. TheProf

Shhhh.

Stop whining. It's Doctor Who! I have to put up with all the stuff the BBC produce that I don't like.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Paying?

Doctor Who? is one of those BBC ventures which is pretty much self funding. There are some programmes like DW and Top Gear from which the BBC make a fortune on international sales and licensing as well as merchandising sales and licensing. It pleases the commercial channels (particularly Sky) to complain about this state of affairs. For some reason they seem to think that anything successful developed by the BBC should be handed over to the commercial channels for them to make money out of. The fact remains, however, that those programmes from which the BBC manage to make a profit go to funding other less profitable ventures. If they happen to also fund a few nice freebies like this game and some web content then all the better for the licence fee payer.

4. BorkedAgain

Speaking as the dad of a five-year-old...

...this strikes me as an excellent way to spend license money. :)

5. David 141
    Pint

F2P can cost

F2P games are usually full of adds, and if you want to do any optional extras you have to be prepared to pay pay pay. Want a sonic screwdriver? That'll be $5 on your credit card, thanks. Your own K9 unit, thats $10...

1. Raumkraut

You are Free2pay

I'm also generally sceptical of any TV tie-in game, especially MMOs, but for Three Rings to be involved does give me hope. Puzzle Pirates is a beautifully executed (f2p) game, and Three Rings seem to be a cool set of people overall. If the BBC execs can keep their hands out of the cake mix, it could turn out to be a nice little game.

And it might even work under Linux. :)

2. Scott 2

BBC = NO Ads

I would imagine that if funded by the tax... I mean license payer, there cannot be any form of advertising?

6. Spuddyspudspud

title

You know, you don't HAVE to buy it......

7. Peter Kay

Excellent!

The first free Doctor Who game was great, even if it was (understandably) targetted at kids. Worked well on a 3D monitor too..

This just makes the whole Who universe considerably more fun - the animated adventures and games were decent additions.

(can't comment about the novels and audio plays - never bothered with those)

Perhaps they've gone over the top with the toys, but I'm not complaining at this - provided they keep some of the nastier Internet elements under control..

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Yeh but...

...will at least THIS ONE work on Linux?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

No

Hopefully not. That way it will keep you lot happy in having something to whinge about. If everything worked on Linux you'd be part of the mainstream and have to find something even more niche to use.

BTW now that Firefox is the most popular browser have you moved onto something more obscure?

9. Peter Johnstone

Is it just me?

Or is there something familiar ablut the Doctor Who return to earth game?

I'm pretty certain that I've played a very similar lookinmg game years ago, but can quite put my finger on which one. Probably an old Amiga title.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like