back to article Freedoms Bill good for CCTV, not for privacy

The Protection of Freedoms Bill promotes efficient CCTV surveillance, but not effective privacy. The hype surrounding the CCTV/ANPR provisions in the Protection of Freedoms Bill is misplaced. In fact, I would argue the bill’s provision for a Statutory Code of Practice in the CCTV area represents little change on the privacy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

"There is no penalty if the code is breached"

Super! Not a lot of flipping point in worrying about then if you're big on your CCTV installations and privacy invasion!

2. There's a bee in my bot net
    Happy

hmmm...

And there was me thinking that a coalition would be good for stopping hidden intent in bills like this.

Oh silly me for hoping the 21st century would turn out to be much more altruistic...

3. MinionZero
    Big Brother

WTF?

So the Protection of Freedoms Bill actually destroys freedom.

Fits right in with other Newspeak classics like: WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

The lying two faced Machiavellian bastards never what to stop do they. :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Re: WTF?

Curfew is "overnight stays"

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

ANPR

It said the cameras in Cleveland, Durham and North Yorkshire "read" on average a total of 24 million vehicle number plates every month.

Of those, 311,000 vehicles were flagged up as being of "potential interest" to police.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12433269

Only 311,000 crimals not being denied in the north east its a tracking system and nothing else.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Big Brother

Soundls likethe "CCTV Commissioner"

Is another waste of public funds like the "Interception Commissioner"

He's not there to investigate case of abuse of privacy.

He's there to demonstrate how *efficiently* your privacy is *being* abused.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like