back to article Struggling MySpace inks new Google deal

MySpace has finally inked a multi-year search and advertising deal with Google. Financial terms of the agreement between the Mountain View Chocolate Factory and Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, which owns MySpace, were not revealed. MySpace secured a handsome $900m search and keyword services deal with Google in 2006, but it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DrXym

Poor old News Corp

On the one hand they're ranting against Google for having the temerity of sending them visitors through news aggregation and on the other they're begging cap in hand for search and ad revenues. It's kind of sad really. I might even feel sorry if it weren't News Corp. The Times and MySpace are sinking beneath the waves and they really don't have anyone to blame but themselves.

1. CmdrX3
      WTF?

Cap in Hand?

With £20-30 billions worth of revenue, do you seriously think that News Corp really needs to go begging cap in hand to anyone. Myspace and The Times are likely very low in the profit sceme overall, especially when they part of a group that owns Fox Broadcasting, Sky and News International (owners of The Sun) among many other high profit companies. They could quite easily shut both companies down tomorrow with barely a dent (if any at all) in their profits. So I think the phrase begging cap in hand is a little melodramatic.

2. L1feless

Myspace

From what I can tell MySpace has really turned into the former MP3.com and the service it had to offer to bands and musicians. Local bands are using the site to promote themselves. MySpace had a few design holes which then allowed bands to fully customize and brand the page as they wished. I have seen the new patch which was released recently and there were certainly many mySpace band sites which simply broke. This might be the end for MySpace if they don't correct that issue. That being said Google would be quite smart if they chose to acquire MySpace and work on a migration plan to GoogleMe. With Google's entrance into the Media space (youTube) as well as the recent GoogleTV release it would be valuable information for them to know the style of media which you enjoy listening to and link it to your GMail account.

3. Rogerborg

MySpace is also still used by hookers and rent boys

The distinction between musicians may be a fine one, but the hookers and rent boys do have a slight edge in dignity - they only pimp themselves out to one john at a time.

4. Ascylto
    Big Brother

"News' Ho, ho, ho! Corp.

Poor old Rupert!

The tears are running down my back.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like