back to article Oracle claims trademark on Hudson open source

Oracle is claiming ownership of yet another open-source project. This time, it's the Hudson project, the popular software build and monitoring service originally developed by Sun Microsystems. The giant has told users they are welcome to move the service to non-Oracle-owned servers, but if they do so, they can't call it " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Take very careful aim

before shooting yourself in both feet.

2. eezatehgeeza

So...

Duh-son?

Time for a Psycho-axe-wielding Ellison icon?

1. Antti Roppola

Heeeere's Larry!

@eezatehgeeza

Poetry! I can see it now, Larry bursting through the door like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

3. Dave Bell

Oh well...

I only just made it to my NaNoWriMo target, there's apparently an OpenOffice word-count bug that's been around for a long time. Hardly Oracle's fault, but I suppose I should check the fork.

There's open sourced stuff out there where the "official" version hasn't been so much forked as been presented with a canteen of cutlery, Never mind the legal tricks, Oracle have to deliver on the goods.

4. NB
    Grenade

well

Fuck Oracle.

That will be all.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

Another Brick in the Wall

for fortress Oracle?

with apologies to Pink Floyd but I can't help thinking of the wall being built with Oracle inside and a certain CEO tacking his super yacht furiously as he tries to escape.

I know that trademark owners have to assert their rights but there is clearly a right and a wrong way to go about it. IMHO, this is clearly the wrong way. Didn't they learn anything from the flak they got over OpenOffice?

I can only hope that the Hudson community does the same here. They could call it 'RiverthatflowsthroughNYC'. I'm sure something like that would p**s off Oracle nicely but there is nowt they could do about it.

Ok, I'm off to clear the 8in of snow from outside my house. I'll need me coat for that.

1. asdf
      Joke

funny that

And here I thought it was name after that wonderful Bruce Willis blockbuster Hudson Hawk.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embrace and extend, blind-side style.

We need an Ellison Horns image, for this fools Oracle.

1. stupormundi
      Thumb Up

I second that,

with excessive amount of evilness from Oracle recently, high time for Larry with horns + hooves

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thirded

n/t

7. heyrick Silver badge

You get pissy over the name...

...the project will be forked, renamed, and your lovely nice cosy name will be forgotten.

What's more important, REALLY? A grab of a recognisable trade name, or a loss of useful and important devs who will see this as little more than a waste of everybody's time?

So, hey, keep the name. Kiss the project goodbye. Smart move, guys.

8. Flat Phillip
    Linux

Ice Weasel

There were plenty of complaints that Debian was over-reacting with the discussion that eventually led to firefox being called iceweasel. It's not an identical problem, but does show up problems of using trade marked names in Open Source projects.

Good luck to the developers of The Project Formerly Known As Hudson!

9. LaeMing
    Alert

Forking

Forking is a common response to a knifing.

10. M Gale

I suggest...

..."Mississippi".

Forks every once in a while, dunnit?

11. The Mole

What trademark

Do Oracle even own the trademark?

I couldn't find it registered in the US as a trademark and when trying to sell it Sun called it "Sun Continuous Integration Server" and shipped it as part of the Glassfish portfolio. The project had been given to the open source community before they started to trade and offer support for it and they used a different name anyway.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<title />

Coming soon to a cinema near you, the follow up to "How to Lose Friends & Alienate People ",

"How to Lose Friends & Alienate People - Oracle Style"

13. Colin Brett
    Coat

New name?

Hudson was the name of the butler in Upstairs Downstairs. May I suggest the fork be named Crichton or even Kryten?

1. exitsec
      Happy

Cry me a River

Oracle in Denial. The Nile has a nice ring to it. They're sunk.

Probably another good name, lets call it project "Sully"

One advantage is that Cpt. Sullenburger even *looks* like Hudson (the project's icon), mustache and all.

Compare them:

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/090115-chesley-sullenburger-vmed-4p.grid-4x2.jpg

http://hudson-ci.org/images/butler.png

Cheers.

14. rert

Oracle thinks they are still in the 70's?

What oracle has been doing since they acquired SUN is trying to get a grip of all the open source projects SUN had. On top of that, they want to commercialize many of them. What they don't seem to realize is that people don't like that. It's so easy to fork things nowadays. So what happens in reality is that they are slowly killing what they invested money in..

OR.. Maybe they just want the publicity.. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like