back to article ZeuS variant only infects super-fast PCs

Miscreants behind one variant of the ZeuS Trojan have outfoxed themselves in their attempts to outwit anti-virus analysts by releasing a variant of the malware that only infects high-performance PCs. Security firms use automation and virtualisation technologies to cope with the growing volume of malware spewed out by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clock speed != performance.

I've got a p4 that runs at 3ghz, but there's processors that clock at nearly half that capable of pissing all over it.

1. Goat Jam
      Pint

Give em a break

intel spent billions over decades on convincing world+dog that clock speed does indeed equal performance.

It's true that old habits die hard.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Amen

I hear you, brother.

I've been trying to explain that to people for years, but sadly some still don't get it.

On the topic of Zeus, though. These russians are bloody good. If they didn't steal people's bank accounts and just made botnets for cracking stuff, they'd have my respect.

2. william henderson 1
    WTF?

2ghz is super fast??

more like so-so, i'de have thought.

3. Field Commander A9
    Troll

at great relief...

since my 1.6ghz*8 i7qm is spared~~

4. vic 4
    Go

A Dead loss?

> Variants of ZeuS are much commonly used to capture online banking credentials before sending them off to cybercrooks, however, and from this perspective the sample is a dead loss

Maybe it is intentional, I'd speculate there is a reasonable correlation between the amount of cash people have to spend on new high spec computer and the amount in there bank accounts. Filtering out old pcs could be way of filtering out people with no cash to steal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no, not really

It will just mean the skinflints that keep stuff til it dies, and their bank accounts, will be safe from this strain zEUs.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

That puts a new spin on things.

My machine is so powerful that it will run Crysis^H^H^H^H^H^HZeuS.

Just out of interest, why do they reckon a reported clock speed of less than 2Ghz indicates a VM with a debugger round it? Don't VMs usually report the CPU to be either whatever it really is or pretty much whatever you feel like saying it is?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like