back to article Apple I goes for twice the price of an Enigma

An Apple I sold yesterday for £133,250 while a three-rotor Enigma box went for £67,250. steve wozniak Woz: "Apple I was an important step but I didn't realise it at the time." The Apple I, number 82, came in its original box and was "in remarkably fresh condition". It was bought by an Italian fanboi to add to his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marky W
    WTF?

Huh?

From the article on the beeb:

"...the Apple I - also known as the Apple 1..."

Am I missing something here? Or is that just dumb?

1. peter.knurd

Nitpicking

A possibly registered Trademark vs. a generic commercial name.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

On collectable clunkers with an application to the Verwertungsproblem

A box that's a bad attempt at commercial-level encryption, some electro-junk from a cultish startup and the infinitely copyable thoughts of young Alan.

Can I have the lot for USD 50?

1. LuMan
      Flame

@ DAM

Alternatively, you could increase the value of the items by getting Hollywood to make a film about how all these items were made in America, then stolen by the British, before heroically being 'saved' by the brave boys in the US Military (or just one if Bruce Willis is available).

Oh... hang on..

3. whats the point of kenny lynch?
    Joke

apple sell a computer for £130K?

wow - when did they reduce their prices?

1. david wilson

@whats the point of kenny lynch?

>>"apple sell a computer for £130K?"

Or, if you're in the USA, $130k.

4. Mexflyboy
    Paris Hilton

Oh jeebers....

Although I am an enthusiastic Iphone/Ipad/Mac etc user, I am sadly not surprised that the vapid Apple 1 went for more than the Enigma or the Turing papers, it's kinda the sign of the times and our culture's current love of style vs substance...

*sarcasm on* Who cares if Alan Turing and his fellow Brits helped reduce the length of WW2 due to their excellent work on breaking the Enigma code? It's SO much more important to buy an outdated computer created by a corporation that is currently being helmed by a charismatic narcissistic megalomaniac!

*sarcasm off*

*ahem*...

(Paris Hilton because she IS the queen of vapid...)

1. Steve X
      Coat

Relative value

Well, an Apple 1 can probably emulate an Enigma machine, but not the other way round. Buy the Apple and you get both...

2. CmdrX3

Couldn't agree more

Other than your very first sentence, I fail to find one single point that I could disagree with. It's not even as if the Apple 1 has any real great place in the history of computing.

3. ThomH

It didn't go for more than the Turing papers

Highest bid on the Turing papers: £240,000

Highest bid on the Apple 1: £133,250

The Turing papers had a higher than £240,000 reserve, so weren't sold. The Apple did sell.

I can't comment on scarcity, but I'd also imagine that an Engima machine that's "has had some restoration" is worth less than one that was still all original. Especially as there seem to be surprisingly many of the things about — at least in comparison to Apple 1s.

Personally, I'd still pay more for the Enigma.

4. Dennis
      Welcome

Re: Oh jeebers....

While it would be nice to think that the Enigma should fetch more than the Apple 1 this doesn't reflect either the significance or scarcity of the items.

There were only 200 Apple 1 machines made and I doubt if there are more than a handful still in existence. Thousands of Enigma machines were made and I expect more have survived than the Apple 1.

Both machines had a significant impact on the 20th century. The widespread use of Enigma and its flaws may have changed the outcome of WW2. While the Apple 1 may have triggered the personal computer revolution. Both items have had a profound impact and lead to the world we see today.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

And the award for todays most delusional revisionist iTard goes to...

"While the Apple 1 may have triggered the personal computer revolution."

Well done Dennis. You win a pair of Steve Jobs' used Y-fronts.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's all about context

The Apple I founded a hugely successful company and was made in very limited numbers. There's a huge demand for this sort of item which can be directly linked to two named people.

Tens of thousands of Enigmas were made for commercial, government and military use on a factory production line. There are no names associated with the mass manufactured machines and unless it came from a particular individual or location it, in itself isn't very significant. The market isn't short of Enigmas - lots survived.

The Enigma itself is only part of the story - after all Turing's breakthroughs were all made without actually having the machine in question. Had a Bombe survived and come up for auction then it would justify a fantastic valuation as would one of the rare as hens' teeth four-rotor Naval Enigmas.

But if anyone wants to give me an Enigma for Christmas, yeah I won't be disappointed.

5. Code Monkey
    Joke

I refer the honorable commentards...

... to reams of "fanboi, more money than sense" comments throughout this fine organ.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Badgers

So I wonder...

how much is a Sinclair MK14 worth these days? Mine's still hanging around waiting...

7. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Unhappy

Sounds about right!

The intimate notes of one of the heroes that kept the UK free from jack-booted oppression is not worth a carrot compared with the electronic tinkering of some college drop-outs, who happen to have made a little money and a reasonable business from their toys!

How soon we forget, Turing deserves better than this.

1. ThomH

As above

Reread the article. Bids on the intimate notes went significantly higher than those on the electronic tinkering.

8. paul brain
    Welcome

i have an apple II

going cheap at £129,999.50 sold as seen

1. jai

so do i

I'd be willing to sell my AppleII for £129,998.99 :) :)

9. Christopher 1
    Joke

Get in line!

I've got to flog my Lisa first!

I need the money for my chiropractor after I tried to heft it onto the counter.

10. asdf
    Thumb Down

Bletchley Park doesn't deserve

Yes the place did a lot to secure our freedom today but not sure England deserves Turing's stuff considering they chemically neutered him and basically killed him and all. Not one of Blightys shining moments.

11. Damien Thorn
    Jobs Horns

hmmmz

Old tech is fascinating, but i cant think of a witty retort to the story, so ill just stick an apple logo on and some readers will think its an amazing post :) hehehe

I hope it was bletchley or somewhere that did buy it, kinda gives mankind a bad reputation if some sad git bought it privately.

This topic is closed for new posts.