back to article Our PARIS becomes GLOBAL MEDIA SENSATION

The Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS) balloon mothership spaceplane project - named in homage to the socialite and inadvertent internet sensation of all our hearts - has finally won the recognition she always deserved. The plane, and our heroic Playmonaut, have made it onto the front page of the Telegraph, inside the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ken MAC
    Thumb Up

Playmonauts spiritual Grandad on R4

Now everyone's getting in on PARIS themed items.

This afternoon (Thu 11/11 14:15) The Radio 4 Drama is of Col Joe Kittingers Balloon assisted High Altitude sky dives.

Maybe the playmonaut could chill out and tune in to hear how it was in the old days .....

Cheers MAC

1. Samuel Williams

Daily Mail?

Aren't they worried that paper-based airborne transport will simply provide another way in for gangs of illegal Playmobil immigrants? Where will it all end?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Was the Mail headline something like...

RELEASING PAPER PLANES IN SPACE CAUSES CANCER.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and down in Norwich

University of East Anglia CRU reports that reckless use of shiny paper for space exploration is totally unjustified. That latest PARIS flight ‘green house’ outrage has caused *global temperatures to rise by a massive .00000000000000001 degrees over the next century.

*assuming paper based air traffic increases by the anticipated 2000% per year.

... personally I welcome our paper aviation overlords.

2. Mostor Astrakan

Followed by...

RELEASING PAPER PLANES IN SPACE: NEW CURE FOR CANCER

Ah.... The good old oncological ontology blog.

2. James Hughes 1

Did I miss it

Or was there no video footage from the plane itself? I don't remember seeing any, or any planning for it. Given the cheapness and lightness of mini DV cams, seems a glaring omission.

Congrats on rest of mission though.

3. Andy Hards
    Thumb Up

Finally some positive recognition for El Reg

Shouldn't we get a new icon to commemorate this moment?

A Playmonaught maybe?

4. Bill B
    Thumb Up

Yup I loved the story

Good on the Reg for getting in the papers. The editors sexed up the story a bit .. like "the team then tracked the plane using GPS as it took an hour and a half to glide down" .. or .. "the paper plane glided back taking dozens of photographs".

But that's the big media for you. At least you got the publicity and hopefully more sponsors for Paris II

1. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Sexed it up?

Surely that would have been "the paper plane was capable of being launched towards targets in Britain within 45 minutes, carrying a payload which we have been unable to confirm does not contain biological agents".

5. Pete 2 Silver badge

Gotta get the ages in

Congrats on the recognition. I'm always mystified by stories in newspapers - they seem to be fixated on details such as peoples' ages, marital status etc. It's so bizarre.

1. Bill B
      Thumb Down

What?????

The Playmonaut is married???

I am devastated!

6. GeorgeTuk
    Pint

Hurrah for old school spiffing ingenuity!

I'll drink to that, its nearly lunch time!

7. KCM
    Paris Hilton

PARIS In Metro

PARIS was also in Metro this morning.

Paris.. because she gets everywhere....

8. Jimmy Floyd
    Thumb Up

The Metro

I think I also saw it on someone else's copy of The Metro on the Tube this morning (obviously I wouldn't be seen with a copy myself). Actually, come to think of it, perhaps that's why you didn't publicise your mention in that particular publication...

1. gav_taylor

page 31, full spread

yeah it was in this mornings Metro, got itself a full page..

nice picture of the Playmonaut.

you can read it in their online version - http://e-edition.metro.co.uk/home.html (page 33 online)

9. billse10
    Thumb Up

News24 just covered it

and described as "the story of the day"

10. Andrew Newstead

And to think...

We were all there at the beginning and followed this through to the end, doesn't that give us all a warm fuzzy feeling?

Damn straight!

Well done again guys, maybe this will help in a small way to wake up Britain to doing great (and interesting) things again.

BTW has Jame May been in touch for his ManLab yet?

11. JasonH
    WTF?

And they call this 'news'?

So let me get this straight - humankind has reached a zenith of global communications and near-speed-of-light connectivity for the masses, allowing electronic content in the form of emails, blog posts, twitter feeds, not to mention pictures and videos, of the spectacular PARIS project achievements to be delivered almost in real-time to anyone with an internet connection, anywhere round the globe...

But it takes the great British press fourteen days (14 days?! 2 weeks!!) to publish this as 'news'. This is not news, this is 'olds'.

No wonder I read The Register - all hail our vulturine scoop messengers!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Where do I put a title?

The Aussies were able to cover it a little more timely (November 02).

http://blogs.news.com.au/technology/blog/index.php/news/comments/2010_the_year_we_launched_paris_into_space/

12. Bob Foster
    Thumb Up

Inspirational stuff

Congratulations guys you are a beacon of hope in these dark times.

With proper funding the UK could become the centre of the world paper space plane industry

13. Blofeld's Cat
    Black Helicopters

Curiously enough...

I was on a Virgin train the other day and the catering trolley had run out of straws. You don't think that...

1. Daniel Evans

Surely...

That's just Virgin's normal service quality?

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

just be glad that...

...they weren't out of lemon-soaked paper napkins. Might have got ugly in there.

1. Scorchio!!

Ah yes

"Please return to your seats, please return to your seats"...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Clutching at straws

As far as I recall, PARIS isn't a Virgin ...

4. Stratman

title

It would seem they have stupidly high contention ratios on their trains as well.

14. graeme leggett Silver badge

daily mail underplaying El Reg?

Not surprised to see Daily Mail downplay this site, you think the least they could have done was give a link. But then people might start reading all those sceptical opinions and criticism and pee-taking of the Mail's stance.

No fraternity within (Fleet Street) journalism.

15. Elmer Phud

News?

News?

We knew about this ages ago, just what's going on if the Fail isn't carping on about dirty students smashing up the home of democracy and 'all that is good and great'. Ah, either it's 'cos they recongise thier own kids on the demo or it's they never checked te 'PARIS' reference before reserving front page space.

Anyway - we feel just a bit smug as we read all about it here first and watched it live(ish) on Google Earth.

16. cyborg
    Thumb Up

Heard this on LBC this morning

Was both surprised and delighted in equal measures: Nick Ferrari was gushing with absolutely no criticism whatsoever.

I'm sure this will bring a few more eyeballs to the Reg.

17. Justin Clements
    Thumb Up

BBC Lunchtime News!

Well done!

Can't wait for the next project!

18. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

Yay!

I've just seen it on the BBC 1 news. Still insisting it reached space though.

1. John I'm only dancing
      Thumb Up

Cap'n Oates

Heard his dulcet tones on Radio 5 on my way home from work. Nothing like the Beeb keeping abrest of what's happening in the world.

19. richard 7

And now on news.bbc.co.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11734084

20. stucs201
    Paris Hilton

Wikipedia

Does somone who knows what they're doing with such things fancy updating the Wikipedia entry? Its whinging about a lack of non-primary references, a few links to the above articles should fix this nicely.

Needs linking to Playmobil too :)

Paris? Well duh!

21. James Pickett

Moguls

"the ruthless media barons who control the Register"

And they are..?

22. James Pickett
    Paris Hilton

Anatomy

"inadvertent internet sensation of all our hearts"

Are you sure you've got the right organ?

23. Andus McCoatover
    Pint

Nice...

Saw it in the Telegraph* this morning about 6am (UK time). Had a little chuckle about the 'space enthusiasts', nowt much about El Reg being an IT news source...

Now, were you behind that 'phantom missile' over California the other day? Maybe not, as you've used up your beer and travel budget....

...Hey, wait a minute, has the 'playmonought' gone AWOL???

*http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8124611/Paper-aeroplane-launched-into-space-captures-breathtaking-images.html

24. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Paper plane launched into space

Telegraph, BBC a bunch of amateurs the lot of em..Have they no respect for PARIS

It was RELEASED, there was no LAUNCH.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

BBC video clip - John Oates speaks!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11734434

shame they didn't freeze frame when you see the Vulture 1 in the distance.

26. Glen Forde
    Happy

PARIS is going 'more' global

Congratulations! you! are! now! featured! on! the! Yahoo! front! page!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20101111/twl-out-of-this-world-a-paper-plane-in-s-3fd0ae9.html

27. Dave 62
    Flame

tell them they got it wrong

In addition to my earlier comment, here is a link which will allow you to report the factual inaccuracy of the article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3950000/newsid_3955200/3955259.stm

Let them have it.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

In Italy, too!

To the stratosphere and back on a paper plane

http://www.repubblica.it/scienze/2010/11/11/news/aereo_di_carta_lanciato_nello_spazio-8996644/?ref=HRESS-2

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deserves a prize for effective PR expenditure

The Telegraph online edition has the story in its Space section, jostling alongside discoveries of galaxies, space shuttle developments and other multi-billion dollar research projects. That's very good value in PR terms, and I expect The Reg to be inundated with enquiries from publicity-hungry science institutes worldwide.

That said, eight thousand quid seems a lot for a few sheets of paper, a packet of drinking straws and a balloon. Please can I be the procurement officer for the next project?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Expenses

Knowing El Reg the budget was mostly taken up by the drinks bill

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Precisely

That's why I want to get in on the act.

30. Dave 62
    Heart

no credit, gits

On the beeb, no mention of El Reg, just "amateur space enthusiasts".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11734434

Thanks for that you c**ts.

I think the next step is to have an onboard cam and/or get it higher.

As for the acronym, Low Orbit Helium Ascent... Nnnsomethingsomething?

Put something into orbit guys, put something into orbit. Pwease?

Is that possible with a helium lifter? Perhaps some kind of a semi-rigid envelope?

1. Andus McCoatover

Put something into orbit....

Do they still make "Jetex" motors nowadays? Think they need no oxygen. Might defeat the 'escape velocity' myth.

Nah, maybe not....

http://jetex.org/motors/motors.html

31. SteveD
    Thumb Up

news

My local paper are going to print Jon's excellent photo stitch up. Also have been told it's going out on BBC world.

If Pillinger wants a hand with Beagle 3, he knows who to call.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Marvellous stuff.

Though the Mail seems to have failed to slap their own copyright message over your images - they must be having an off-day.

I do wonder about the particular shot the Telegraph used:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8124611/Paper-aeroplane-launched-into-space-captures-breathtaking-images.html

I mean, it was high enough to see the curvature of the Earth, but is it just me, or is the Earth being particularly awkward and curving the wrong way for that picture?

1. Andus McCoatover

Curvature?

No way. It was obviously the fact that the plane got to such dizzy heights and the Plastic Pilot had had a bit too much 'dutch courage' and slumped over.

I see what you're saying, tho, but the ground's the thing, not the blue upper bits. Think you're seeing weather patterns, maybe...

But, as we know, the Earth can be particularly awkward. Gaia's like that, fickle minx...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.