back to article Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect Launch Games

Kinect Adventures RH Numbers Bundled with the hardware, Kinect Adventures is a compilation of minigames intended to introduce players to Kinect's distinct brand of motion-controlled gaming. It's a title developed with the whole family in mind, where children and parents can compete against each other on a level playing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. foxski
    FAIL

Sooo...

Basically a bit rubbish then?

1. DrXym

Well the dancing game got a good score

It's too bad for all the other games.

It's also hard to see where the platform can go from here. The next wave of games are likely to be even more dance / fitness / party titles. Shovelware heaped on shovelware until the entire platform drowns in it.

The biggest issue for kinect is that motion prediction is a hard problem. To reduce lag and increase accuracy, the games are incredibly simplistic in nature - lean left, lean right, jump etc. How much replay value does anyone expect out of a system constrained like that?

2. Real game player]
      Thumb Up

waht is your favourite play station?

Ps 3 is the best play station.I always play games in it.It has a good features and graphics that why it become famous.

2. Code Monkey

Kinnect

At least you won't be able to do this with a Kinnect:

http://www.break.com/index/another-wii-sports-casualty.html

It's an oldie that never gets old!

1. Tom 35

It's just a little more direct with Kinnect

http://failblog.org/2010/11/10/epic-fail-video-kinect-fail/#comments

3. Miek
    FAIL

lmao

"Commands such as lie down, play dead and spin around" ... are surely for Dogs not Cats?

4. leon stok
    Happy

@code_monkey

Well.. first kinnect victims are already here :)

http://www.bright.nl/lachen-om-het-eerste-kinect-gestuntel

1. J 3
      Thumb Up

These are good...

I was thinking more of a "shoe flying off and breaking something" type of thing happening, but these are good too.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

90% for a system with 60% games

OK then....

Looks like you are rating it on future potential, still in the hope that the "minority report" system will deliver what the movie showed, and that lag and recognition problems can be solved with software/firmware patches...

1. Octopoid

The funny thing...

That everyone forgets about Minority Report, is that the tracking system was bassed on glowing lights on the ends of hs fingers, making the whole thing far more similar to Move than Kinect.

http://fraser.typepad.com/frolix_8/images/minority_report_gloves.jpg

When even Hollywood thinks your futuristic tech idea won't work properly, you know you've barked up the wrong tree.

6. gregors613

Impactful is *not* a word

Not trolling, just a peeve

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Children and parents can compete against each other on a level playing field."

Is that because that's the only place where you can get far enough from the screen to get the multiplayer to work...?

8. Filippo Silver badge

different from Move

Caveat: I haven't used a Kinect, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got the impression that Kinect - while being technologically superior to Move - is not quite the same thing. There are things you can do with Move that you can't do with Kinect. I don't think Kinect tracks individual fingers, so you can't accurately grab and release an object, which you can do with Move (because it has buttons). I doubt it tracks exact wrist angle and rotation, which Move can do. Can you use it to accurately point and shoot a gun? I don't think so.

All of these are not criticism, just hints that for every soccer and dancing title that cannot be ported to Move because it doesn't track feet, there will probably another Move title that cannot be ported to Kinect because it doesn't have buttons and doesn't track wrists with sub-millimetre accuracy.

Ultimately, it'll be game quality that makes or breaks these platforms.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Game quality is affected by?

"Ultimately, it'll be game quality that makes or breaks these platforms"

I disagree. I think the limitations of the platform will make or break the games.

2. TonySpoons

Re: different from move

I wonder if Kinect could be programmed to recognise and track a 360 controller?

1. Fuzzysteve

nothing stopping them

Nothing stopping them using a controller as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Or better still....

"I wonder if Kinect could be programmed to recognise and track a 360 controller?"

They could make a big 3D version of the controler in the game that you could control with the avatar.

Oh that's too sweet. How the irony would be lost.

9. David Aston
    Happy

First impressions

Tried this last night - easy to setup and the games (at first run through) are fun to play as a family - the sight of my missus playing football against an invisible opponent was enough to keep me chuckling all night.

Only gripe is the amount of space you need - although I hope the Kinect TV mount will make that easier.....when it's finally available to joe public.

Worth the wait in my opinion and my kids love it. That's good enough for me!

10. Downside
    Thumb Up

A lot of fun...

The tech works, the games are fun, job done I say.

Kinect Adventures was more engaging than I was expecting though, like all motion/getsure party games, I'm not going to invest Fallout3 levels of game-time in it.

Dance Central though... brilliant.

Kinect is here and it works well. Not all games will be worth buying, but that's the case whatever control method is used, but Dance Central... awesome.

11. Daniel Harris 1

title

Nothing to stop them releasing accesories such as a gun with buttons for more "core" games such as shooters, to overcome the inability to track fingers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like