back to article Ms. Gates: 'Bill does not use a Mac'

Bill's better half, Melinda Gates, is no fan of Apple's magical and revolutionary tablet. "Of course not," Ms. Gates told The New York Times when asked if she owned an iPad. There's no love for Apple products at Chez Portes. When asked about the persistent urban myth that her hubby uses an Apple laptop, the co-chairwoman of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ned Ludd

Duh!

Bill hasn't used a Mac since he switched to Linux last summer.

2. mittfh
    WTF?

What do you expect her to say?

"Actually, all the kids have iPods - it's really revolutionised their music listening. They never go anywhere without a fully charged iPhone, and they can't wait to get their hands on an iPad! Bill wouldn't dream of using anything other than an iMac to surf the 'net in his free time!"

Pull the other one - of course the Gates clan aren't going to endorse their main rivals - in much the same way as you'd never catch Steve Jobs claiming he owns a Windoze PC or an XBox. Why is this even considered news?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Main rivals?

Don't forget that the MBU makes a lot of money for MS.

And didn't Steve own a ThinkPad?

2. Wize

And in other news

Pope is catholic.

Bears shit in the woods.

Cheryl Cole mimes.

3. No, I will not fix your computer

Main Rivals?

With the Windows flavours around 90% and MacOS/iOS/Linux making up the other 10%, even the "evil" Vista is 3x more popular than OSX not sure if "main rival" is really appropriate when there really isn't any competition.

Besides if she wanted to put "spin" on it she would have said, "We don't restrict our children at all, if they want an iWhatever that can have an iWhatever, we think children should be able to make their own choices even if it's a mistake and they end up with an inferior product to a Microsoft one".

While it isn't news it does give a credibility to iWhatever products that isn't there, besides, my Galaxy is better for me than an iPhone, my Zen Vision was better than an iPod and my Vista Business does everything I need (and my hacked 32Gb iPod mini running Linux still rocks).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Elephant buns

Does Clive Sinclair use a Commodore 64?

1. lpopman
      Happy

titular musings

Or more appropriately, Does Clive Sinclair use a BBC Micro?

4. Rob Moir

Why is this even newsworthy?

I await your shocking revelation that Steve Jobs doesn't use a PC and a Zune. And that Larry Ellinson doesn't use MS SQL Server to run his business databases.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Jimmy Floyd

Obvious

Well it's nice to see a bit of brand loyalty for the old joint, but the only way the Gatess would have said any different would have been if Bill and Microsoft had parted company on bad terms.

What we now know for certain is: they didn't.

6. Raumkraut

Can I get a Backflip, mommy?

Are Android devices not allowed past their Gates either, I wonder?

1. Code Monkey

Linux is a cancer?

OK I know that wasn't billg but I bet whoever it was that did say it didn't earn a public bollocking the next morning.

7. Magnus_Pym

Pity the kids

That's pretty much how Bill treated us all when he had the power to do so.

8. RichyS
    Stop

Won't somebody please think of the children...

Those poor children are going to get mercilessly bullied at school. Nothing gets you a wedgie faster than whipping out your Zune.

1. bobbles31

I am pretty sure....

that bullying is probably something that the Gates kids don't worry about on a daily basis.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To be fair to the Gate's

The iPods were / are pretty run of the mill, average quality, nothing special devices. they were lucky in putting the after-thought of the dock connector, which 3rd parties pounced on.

Similar thing happened with the Atari ST and it's MIDI ports, after all, how many Amiga's were found in recording studios?

1. Ted Treen
      Jobs Halo

To be fair to the Iveses & Jobses...

"run of the mill, average quality, nothing special devices. they were lucky ..."

With sales now heading towards 300,000,000 (three hundred million), just think what they could have achieved had they produced something special...

I really wish I could invent, develop & market something so equally un-special

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Err...

Quality product does not always equate to popular product.

Something that came up in Private Eye a while back:

The Sun - 3 million copies sold per issue

Private eye - 210000 per issue

Which one is of a higher quality?

Also, possibly more applicable here:

Windows 90% of the desktop market (possibly more)

Linux 5% (possibly less)

Which do you think is felt to be a more quality product by many commentators here?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Avoid the OS angle, keep it simple

Spice Girls vs Anyone Else

X Factor vs Any TV Program

Harry Potter vs A Book

Etc

10. Michael MacAskill
    Gates Horns

Pedantry

Think that Vogue article was actually from 2009. In 2003, the iPhone didn't yet exist. But maybe the Tardis is allowed to cross the Gates' threshold.

1. Code Monkey

I wouldn't trust MS Tardis

It'd just take you back to the really shitty part of the 70s (i.e. most of it).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Hi! It appears that you are attempting to travel in both space and time!

Would you like some help?

2. Rob Dobs
      Happy

ipod not iphone

Maybe they edited post comment, but the article discusses the ipod (which has been around a while longer than the iphone

1. Michael MacAskill
        Happy

iPod and iPhone

The 2003 date was changed in the article, but it has always said: " iPods and iPhones are two things we don't get for our kids"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What a waste of time!

Even if he did own any non-MS kit, he's highly unlikely to admit to it in public and he would never admit someone else's product is better than his. Very few kit makers are going to open admit they can't do any better!

1. Jean-Luc
      IT Angle

myself, I've always wondered about...

what kind of cars the top honchos @ Chevrolet drive. A Cobalt?

12. envmod

silly

what a ridiculous thing to be defensive about - whether there are apple products in your house or not because your husband is chairman of microsoft. so what? maybe he wants to check out how they perform against his products? in fact, i'd be worried if he didn't have a few apple things knocking about simply for evaluation if nothing else. silly woman doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The Right thing(tm)

I don't blame them. Apple products are for people who put style over substance and I wouldn't raise my kids this way either.

Fanboi howls in 3...2...1... ->

1. ThomH

Like the scroll wheel?

Apple's idea of style: being able to navigate lists quickly and easily. The contemporaneous competitors: having to press a discrete button once for each list item, to navigate gigabytes of music. Even up to and including the original Zune, which has discrete push buttons but designed to look a bit like a scroll wheel to the unwary. Which definitely isn't style over substance, honest.

I don't really see how Apple can come off worse in a Microsoft versus Apple debate. Even the least generous commentator would surely say they're as bad as each other?

Ms Gates should have just feigned ignorance or made some sort of comment that the issue had never really come up. She should be arguing that Apple are completely irrelevant in order to convey the necessary confidence.

1. Rob Dobs
        Thumb Down

hear hear

I will claim least generous commentator when discussing either of these companies, and yes I will certainly agree with you, they are as bad as each other.... surely such an commonly expected opinion should show that wise people would avoid doing business with either company.

2. Mark 65

I'll concede

that the scroll wheel is one thing that makes a hell of a difference. Otherwise my little Sony player shits on the ipod for sound quality and uses drag-drop updating. Still, as someone posted, quality doesn't get the most sales.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Telling...

Wow. It sounds like fanboi-ism, but I think it's worse: it's fear.

What's pathetic about it is the degree of paranoia and insecurity that it reveals. If ever there was a clear confession that Apple products are pretty good, it's that Gates (apparently) won't allow his kids to use them and compare them to Daddy's toys. It's shameful, too, that he's stunting their minds by forcing them to use one single interface and one single set of products -- monocultures dull the brain.

Just wait until they get to college and have access to all the stuff that Papa & Mama wouldn't let them use!

1. DrunkJunkie
      Stop

Monocultures???

So whats iOS?

1. Goat Jam
        Headmaster

Don't you know?

iOS is an OS for mobile devices and as such it is one of many. If you don't want to use it then by all means buy another product, there are tonnes to choose from out there.

Apple does not bully all phone manufacturers into using it thereby removing all consumer choice.

If they did that they would create an iOS phone monoculture.

I'm sure that we can all agree that this would be bad for businesses and consumers around the world.

Choice is a good thing.

We can see the end results from when such monocultures evolve when we look at what has happened to the PC market and its Windows monoculture.

The PC market is a stagnant, user hostile place that has achieved few of the lofty ideals that were imagined during the 80's under the stewardship of Microsoft.

15. Wyrdness
    WTF?

Prescient?

FTA: Back in March 2003, she told Vogue: "There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household...But iPods and iPhones are two things we don't get for our kids."

Since the iPhone wasn't launched until 2007, Mrs Gates is showing incredible foresight here, or else she has some inside knowledge of Apple's future product line. You'd have thought that she'd have informed Ballmer, so that the WIndows Phone 7 development could have started earlier. Or perhaps she did and it's taken them that long to not-quite catch up.

1. ThomH

She did tell Ballmer

He immediately set his best writers to work. You don't think you can come up with "(laughs) it costs how much? And it doesn't have a keyboard, so it doesn't appeal to business users." just off the cuff, do you? They were in a room for over two years trying to decide what number of times to say 'developers' to achieve maximum impact.

2. vegister

dunno where they got 2003 from

it was March 2009

16. HolyMackerelBatman
    Gates Horns

What's the point in being so stubborn?

If your competitor makes a great product, look at what it does well and improve on that. Microsoft is not going to reinvent anything on its own any time soon.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Mrs. Gates...

Also known as the brainchild behind Microsoft Bob and Clippy.

'Nuff said.

18. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Pathetic

Stupid woman. Cutting, nose, face and spite spring to mind.

19. Miek
    FAIL

a tit is required

aawwww punishing their kids to make a point, way to go!

20. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Coat

Title goes here

Well why bother with Apple products when hubby can bring home Microsoft stuff from work for free! Gotta watch those pennies dontchaknow?

Those poor children, they must be the most unfashionable kids in the playground when it comes to gadget ownership.

1. Paul 4

Gadget ownership?

There dad is the king of nerds. Apple products are least of there worries, and anyway "i don't have an iPod but I have a badass gameing rig and an xBox in every room and access to a jet" won't cause to many problems.

2. MrXavia

Or are they the coolest? Prototypes!!

I know if I had access to the lastest of everything, I'd ensure my kids had the best of everything, iphone? bah it doesn't even have 3g video calling! nor does android at default (galaxy s does) but my old trusty win mobile does!

21. Code Monkey

Pity the litte Gateses

All that money and you have to settle for a Zune!

1. TimeMaster T
      Coat

But ...

At least now we someone who actually owns a Zune, all three of them.

Mines the one with the Sansa MP3 player clipped to the lapel.

2. Neill Mitchell

Who needs an iPod?

When they probably get the real bands to follow them around.

1. Code Monkey

I'd prefer an MP3 player

Seriously. I like Sabbath but no way do I want Ozzy in my house.

22. Seanie Ryan
    WTF?

perhaps M$ should consult her for innovation

"Back in March 2003, she told Vogue: "There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household...But iPods and iPhones are two things we don't get for our kids.""

She knew about the iPhone, 4 years before it launched !!

1. James O'Shea

Bad idea

Remember, Melinda is the person who was responsible for Microsoft Bob.. For those who don't remember it (and you don't know how lucky you are) it was sort of the Win95 equivalent of the Kin cellphone. Only worse. Much worse. See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob> for more. It made #7 on the PC World list of the 25 worst tech products of all time. Windows ME made #4. I'd have switched their positions. It should be noted that MSIE v6 made #8.

And, oh, yes... just to make things complete: it should also be noted that Comic Sans was developed, produced, and intended for MS Bob. Yes, Melinda is responsible for Comic Sans.

The world does not need any further innovation from Melinda Gates.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like