back to article Mozilla preempts Google with 'open' web app store prototype

Mozilla has released a prototype for what it calls an "open web app ecosystem," a browser-agnostic answer to Google's upcoming Chrome Web App Store. The open source outfit proposes a store that works with any "modern" desktop or mobile browser, offering both free and for-pay apps based on standard web technologies. "The open …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

The five steps of technological "advancement"

(first, the denial) This can't be happening! They are describing a Mozilla Firefox OS!

(then the anger) WHAT THE HELL??? ARE THEY CRAZY? WEB APP *STORE*?? A STORE FOR HTML, JAVASCRIPT AND CSS "APPS"?? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GOOD OL' SURFING THE WEB?

(next, bargaining) Please don't make it eat lots of CPU and RAM...

(depression...) [opens bottle of cheap vodka] What happened with the old good web? [drink]

(finally acceptance) I will use lynx instead of this fscking graphical browser.

---

People, not because Apple created a money-making thing you need to try to apply the same idea to any aspect of your life (or product).

A smartphone/tablet is one thing. The web is another thing. Hey Panasonic, I don't want an App Store on my microwave ok? Making popcorn in two minutes is fine, I don't want more.

1. Scott Broukell

That's most unfair ....

you could be denying your microwave a chance to chat with your fridge - exchange info on the latest auto-purchases of food and debate your calorie intake with the digital scales in your bathroom.

You know you want all this and more ;-)

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
        Coat

Title?

Yeah OK, but when it starts measuring my "output", that's when I draw the line!

2. Ian McNee
      Go

Actually: how to be genuinely open and make it a success

Try reading the article: this is nothing to do with Firefox. It is all about an excellent Open Source developer producing a genuinely open service to monetize its investment.

At the same time they are exposing the "open" hypocrisy of Google by creating an app store framework that is: (i) usable by everyone; (ii) essentially browser & platform independent and (iii) standards-based. In my book that makes Mozilla very brave and worthy of our support in this endeavour.

Stick it to the man Mozilla!

2. Harry
    Thumb Up

There is actually some merit ...

in having a microwave oven with a web connection.

Using the barcode on the packet, it can look up the required defrost / wait / cooking times and automatically adjust them for the actual oven you're using.

At the moment, they expect you to read it in the infeasibly small print which most supermarkets are having to resort to. Due, it seems, to the employment of incompetent shelf stackers who can't tell the difference between "up" and "down". The supermarkets therefore have to waste space unnecessarily reprinting the top on the bottom and the front on the back, therefore leaving insufficient space to legibly display essential information like cooking times.

"Anti-patent" on the idea of webcook lookup hereby applied as evidence that the idea is in the public domain. Because it's something that's so obvious it really shouldn't be possible to patent, even in countries with stupid patent offices.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Flame

Nevermind the barcode interface...

...just put some heat sensors in the microwave that can keep track of

the internal state of the food so that the microwave can regulate itself

without any need for outside instructions.

That and some stuff you have to "play by ear" even when you have

a special purpose button for that item already on the microwave.

...just the very idea that you can leave the microwave alone to do it's

own thing is perhaps a bad idea.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

What?!

As any bloke who's lived on his own knows.

Microware - everything takes 5 mins. No if's or buts!

Oven - Chips/Burgers take 20 mins a piece from frozen!

That's it! No thought involved. Where's all this thinking about cooking suddenly come from?!

Now discussing the merits and technicalities of beer production or the classic small ones versus big-ones debate, that's a full weekend consumed right there!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. JJS
    WTF?

An app store for what?

I'm a bit lost here. What sort of apps that only need my browser to run would I actually consider buying?

A quick Google search yields sites with a javascript conversion utility for almost any purpose (assuming Google doesn't already support the conversion). I have a handful of dictionary/translation/thesaurus sites bookmarked for quick access. This isn't like my smartphone where I need instant offline access to an app that fills a single purpose. For one thing, I'll have to be online to use the apps anyway so why would I pay a few dollars for a dictionary when I already have a bookmark that cost me nothing?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like