back to article Nokia slips secret chip into C7

Nokia's C7 handset has an NFC chip in it, but Nokia is refusing to say why it's there or even what it is exactly. The C7 is very much like Nokia's flagship, the N8, only with less multimedia and (arguably) a prettier case, but it now seems that the C7 is packing some Near Field Communications capability, which could make it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, if it's not connected to anything

it must be safe, right, Bill? Oh wait, it's RFID.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Chicken and Egg

Real world applications require it to be in the real world, Why would anyone be developing NFC payment systems if it does not exist in the real world. I think Nokia are taking a step to bring something new into the market so that it can be used, and to encourage its use. And takeup. this should be applauded.

3. Gideon 1
    Thumb Up

History repeats itself

Nokia have a history of packing in secret circuitry. E.g. the FM radio in the N800.

4. Neil 7
    Thumb Up

NFC with Bluetooth v3.0?

I thought NFC capabilities were part of the Bluetooth v3 spec to simplify pairing - just tap two devices together and they're paired.

But if it is for contactless payments - about bl**dy time!

5. E 2

Wrap your phone...

in tinfoil!

6. Chris O'Shea

Maybe because they said they would?

Doing a quick search I find an announcement back in June this year that Nokia said that all Nokia smartphones would ship with NFC chips in 2011 ... maybe the C7 came out early or is built on the same hardware as the early 2011 smartphones and so the NFC chip might be there for that reason.

But I'm guessing ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like