back to article Moms stand firm against antenna madness

The American town of Hempstead, Long Island, has decreed that phone masts can't be placed within 1500 feet of children, making coverage nearly impossible. The restrictions specify a 1500-foot exclusion zone around homes, day-care centres, schools and churches - all the kinds of places where one might want mobile phone coverage …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Chris 211
    Flame

Burn then all!

Cell towers, the new witches, burn them all!!

As if parents know more then everyone else, NO THEY DONT, in fact due to the amount of time it takes to bring up children parents are more likely to be less educated and worldly wise. Plus the fact that poor people breed more then wealthy/intelligent people compounds the argument for ignoring the breeders. WHO by the way are the real causes of Climate change what with adding to the ever expanding population which is the root cause of most ills including anti-social behaviour. There you go I proved parents are evil the article just proves they are stupid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Listen, I think they're dumbasses too

...but anyone who uses the term "the breeders" is, IMO, being a pompous, self-important prick.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

PSsst

It was a joke.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Horns

Ummm no parents are very clevera.

Before they got drunk and had sex and called that a relationship, they went to school and smoked dope and spoke about the Orange People and the Beatles... and then they had kids, and found Jeezers.... and spoke to magic sticks on the wall - because everyone else was doing it... as a form of telepathy to some dead guy in low earth orbit.

Now we have Satan hanging off the aerial... "Ohhhhh my mobile phone is a instrument of the devil... - I must ring the premium number to my saviour - for only $5.99 a minute."

3. David Barrett

Ok, but

Its all well and good saying that people having kids is causing problems, yes over population is going to be a problem, but having more people retired than working in 20, 30 40 years will be just as much of a problem...

Also when your in your 90s in a retirement home... whos gonna wipe your arse?

Only the first post and already its completly off the topic of the original article.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
        IT Angle

Increasingly off topic

I think the OP was being a bit cynical in how the lower socioeconomic classes are reproducing much more than the higher. It probably has no bearing to the article but you wondered about...

"Its all well and good saying that people having kids is causing problems, yes over population is going to be a problem, but having more people retired than working in 20, 30 40 years will be just as much of a problem."

What if the majority of the young population then are just a bunch of yobos or on the dole?

2. Alan W. Rateliff, II
        Paris Hilton

More retired people a problem?

I have seen this comment numerous times over the short span of my own life, and yet given my interpretation of "retirement" I fail to see how having more retired people than working people is a problem.

These retired people of whom are spoken have put a lifetime of work into the system. During that time, prudent ones of them would have put some of their earned money away into savings and investments. At retirement, a properly invested person would have a gob of money stashed away to spend on their own entertainment, health care, and what-not.

As I work to build up my own IRA, I fail to see the problem here. (And that is "Individual Retirement Account," not "Irish Republican Army" for some who believe I would be more inclined to the later.)

Paris, prudent one.

4. Annihilator
      Thumb Up

"parents know more than everyone else"

Think it was David Mitchell who said something along the lines of "no, you don't know best, all being a parent proves is that you know how to have sex, or got really lucky one day"

5. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Seriously...

F*ck all of you 16 year olds with your mommy and daddy issues. IRL, nobody gives a shit about how you have assburgers, you need therapy, and mummy and dadda didn't wuv you enough when you were wittle.

In case you never had any training in economics or just slept through class, in the majority of industrialized nations the majority of the population is dependent on government programs for their retirements... which are in turn dependent on having more (young) people working than they have retired. The shit you've paid into your government pension or social security in the U.S. has already been spent by your government - they're living month-to-month like most of their population... just scraping by to pay the bills every month. Good for you if you saved for yourself and this doesn't apply to you - on average most folks aren't that responsible. That's not an argument, it's a math equation.

Secondly, most major industrialized countries *might* have break-even population growth if it weren't for immigration. Maybe you're all just irrational nativists around here... but if you're really worried about population growth think about those 2nd and 3rd world countries where all your UN Aid is going to in order to keep infant mortality rates down and starvation at bay with C02 fueled air drops of food and medicine. For the rest of us, having a % of the population living off the dole has always been the case - since feudalism and indentured servitude ended at least. If it weren't for immigrant-fueled tax revenues, unless you're one of the few that has the personal resources saved to survive on your own through retirement, you'd be out on the street were it not for "the breeders".

So in short, shove that holier than thou, ignorant, shit attitude up your ass.

Where's my middle finger icon?

2. Evil Genius
    Alert

FLK's

Looking at that photo, I think it's too late to stop the mutation.

1. The Cube

I can't be the only one thinking it

Those kids look like they should have Merrick as a surname not part of their address. I wonder which one is John Merrick the third?

2. CapitalW

Photoshop disaster

Looking at that photo makes me think "Photoshop disaster"!!

It reminds me of a Tennessee town that wanted to remove fluoride from their water supply be voting to ban all chemicals. The town engineer stated willingness to do so as long as they were required to boil their water (the vote would have removed chlorine as well). IOW: "clueless is as clueless does".

I also think they hate guinea pigs from their expressions.

3. Trygve Henriksen
    FAIL

Oh well...

Instead of small Cell-towers at a few strategic locations, they'll instead end up with large towers outside town.

You know, the type that can reach for miles and miles and pump out higher effects that the piddly transmitters used in urban models...

1. Greg J Preece

And then for your phone to reach the mast...

...it has to jack up its own power level, pumping more of that horrible, baby-killing radiation into your head.

And then, when enough people have brain cancer, the phone companies will TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

2. Edwin

Naaah

Just obey the law and make mobile coverage in town patchy. That should sort the issue pdq

1. Fatman
        FAIL

RE: obey the law....

What the cell operators ought to do is refine the antenna patterns of existing towers to create a DEAD ZONE over this community.

When people start complaining - just point the complainers toward the a-holes who created this issue in the first place.

Then the cell operators could just say: "We are abiding by the wishes of the comminity!'

Fsck them if they can not take a joke. Fscking, whining (l)users!

3. Lance 3

Even better

The carriers should make an example of them to keep other communities from trying the same thing. All offending towers should be turned off and the non-offending towers left as is (no power increases.) How long before the carriers get calls from city officials asking them to turn them back up. Problem solved. Oh, and if they never get the call, then let the community deal with it. They will know who to blame.

4. Captain Jack
    FAIL

People with mobiles against Moms Merrick

How long before someone starts a campaign to get the masts put up because they can't get any signal?

Also I'd hate to be on the helpdesk for the phone providers having to explain that it's really not their fault that nobody can get a signal it's ludities on the line.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

All they need to do now

Is wall themselves in and everyone will be happy.

6. John Mangan

"emit radiation 800 feet in every direction"

Is that all? Blimey there must be even more of these transmitters than I realised!

Although . . . presumably if the range was just 800 feet the energy would be lower and nobody would have to worry? Reduce the range to 100 feet and put one in everyone's back garden and then all of the property values will be equally affected and everyone's happy, no?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@John Mangan

Fuck knows how they'd cope with the knowledge that the sun emits radiation at least 8, 737, 845, 858 miles in every direction.

Wooh, dangerous.

Perhaps we'd be safer somewhere near Pluto where the radiation isn't as strong? No?

2. Ian Yates
      Flame

Radiation

This is also the usual NIMBY situation where people hear "radiation" and think it automatically means death-ray.

Let's hope they never work out why we call the hot metal things "radiators".

Reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide scare.

1. Galidron

@Ian Yates

Radiators in the US are extremely rare, at least outside of cars. They probably wouldn't understand the relation between radiator and radiation anyway.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Presumbly 'Convectors' just sounded bad?

Given that they work almost entirely by convection...

I wonder if these people would pay to get a pico-cell using their own internet bandwidth, instead of letting them put up a transmitter down the road.

3. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        Happy

Actually....

....why *do* we call the hot metal things "radiators"? They mostly work by convection.

GJC

7. John Sturdy
    Boffin

Counterproductive

The GSM system adjusts the transmission power of mobiles to keep the signal received by the base station at a consistent level, so the further you are from a base station, the more power the handsets will radiate. Since radiated power from one object received by another goes by the inverse square law, and their handsets are a lot closer to the kids' heads than the base stations are, this is likely to increase the radiation received by the kids' heads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

RE: Counterproductive

Sir, do you really believe that the good citizens would let their children be corrupted by these products of Satan's . . .umm, satanic mills?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

The real life Wicker Man?

KILLING 3G WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!1!!!111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo#t=1m38s

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Bringing science into the argument....

....will do absolutely nothing to help where non-technical people are concerned.

You can't make people understand this if they refuse to think, and they also have no concept of the idea of ionising vs non-ionising radiation.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Simple answer...

.fuck em.

Take all masts down. Leave them with no signal. Then when the axe murderer cuts the lines and traps them in the bathrooom, with only a mobile for for help, they'll remember this "victory"

1. Allan George Dyer
      Pirate

I was with you...

until you mentioned axe murderers. I mean, are they really that common a problem on Long Island?

1. Mike Moyle

Not an axe-murder, per se...

...but have you ever heard of the town of Amityville...?

It's on Long Island, a bit under 15 miles east of Hempstead (Not "Hampshire", which isn't on Long Island at all -- Mr. Ray, please take note of the MoM link in your article, which has Hempstead as the town in question).

If you go 15 miles WEST of Hempstead, you're in the New York City buroughs of Brooklyn or Queens, which sit on the western end of Long Island and have their fair share of gun and knife murders -- not sure about axes...

2. Charles 9

Did you know...

There is a quaint little community on Long Island...called Amityville. Ring any bells?

1. Allan George Dyer
          Coat

I thought that was located

in Hollywood, around the corner from Elm Street.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly

These are the same dweebs that will cry for lawsuits when they can't get a signal on their cellphone during an emergency.

9. Lottie

how long

till someone needs to call 911 from their mobile and cant... and then sues the telco for not providing coverage?

1. Ammaross Danan
      FAIL

Title

Can't sue a telco for not providing coverage. Would be like me sueing my mobile co. for not giving me "emergency services" while I was stuck wedged in a cave 1000ft underground and needed to get help. Burn them! I should have checked the coverage map!

10. Gav
    Headmaster

Clearly DADs couln't give a monkey's

Remember, MOMs are not against cell phones, just the CONSTANT RADIATION emitting from these masts. What they want is cell phone masts placed somewhere that their evil CANCER-CAUSING RADIATION cannot be encountered by anyone, or at least not by CHILDREN.

To sum up; cell phones = good, cell phone reception = bad.

Perfectly reasonable if you ask me.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Solution

Reduce the range to zero and have everyone plug their phones into the network.

1. TimeMaster T
      Coat

Hmmm ...

That makes me wonder how many of the residents, and supporters of this, have wireless access points in their homes so they don't need all those ugly wires running around the house.

12. WarrenG

I wonder why the REG...

Is always gainst Wifi or Mobile Phone radiation groups? Why so pro technology when there is mounting evidence that these transmitters can...

disturb sleep

lead to hormonal imablances

some people even get rashes after these masts are installed?

Now it's true to say most techies won't make it past 60 because of their sedentary lifestyle and lack of personal health, this doesn't mean the rest of soceity should suffer though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Rubbish

let me briefly answer your points:

1) Psychosomatic, unquantifiable, and has no posited physical explanation.

2) Ditto.

3) Maybe they should wash properly.

4) I am a techie, I recently ran a half marathon and have reasonably good personal hygiene. Maybe if you were to properly educate yourself, rather than subscribing to irrational and insulting stereotypes, you wouldn't come across as such a complete idiot?

I think maybe the reason that El Reg appears to be against these 'anti radiation' groups is that they are reporting on the facts, rather than populist drivel spouted by people who haven't even bothered to properly understand the very thing that they are campaigning against.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
        Stop

Proof.

No one really knows.

While radar is definitely harmful, I am less certain about UHF devices that are not directional.

A mobile phone may not have enough energy content to cause any significant thermal injury but accumulated long term exposure is uncertain. Microwaves are non-ionizing but they can transfer heat. There have been theories (not proven as far as I know) of dysfunction of various enzymatic systems but I do not recall exact details.

I wouldn't want to live beside a microwave mast though. A mobile phone's microwave power output is limited to the battery. A mast...

Remember we are only now living in a time where microwaves are close intimate and everywhere. 20 years ago this was not the case. It may not be a serious a threat as ionizing radiation the likes of whom Marie Curie found out not too long after but remember it took a while for her to get sick.

Look up the WHO recommended microwave exposure levels. It's on their website. Yes. someone at the WHO was sufficiently concerned to look into it. Bottom line: No one knows. We know radar is harmful, but less focused microwaves? Who knows.

*** If we are to see any health effects, epidemiologist are going to be waiting a while.

I would NOT however like to be one of the sick that they study and if I can perfectly live my life far away from a mast with minimal use of microwave transmitters, so be it.

If you want to camp beside a microwave transmitter mast and say it's all right be my guest.

Would you still want to bring up your children dancing around one of those now that you've heard my side of the story?

(Remember people thought cigarette smoking was once harmless, in fact good for you.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1818349/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Present your evidence

...or piss off.

PS. Third hand anecdotal reports of 'they put a cell mast and three weeks later my friend's dog's walker's helper got a hurty leg' isn't evidence.

3. Lottie

any solid evidence

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm genuinly interested to see how -in controlled reproducable environments and with non anecdotal evidence- wifi or cellphone radiation can cause hormonal imbalances or cause rashes.

Any links?

4. Gweilo
      Grenade

hypochondria

"there is mounting evidence that these transmitters can...

disturb sleep

lead to hormonal imablances

some people even get rashes after these masts are installed?"

Because there isn't any actual evidence, just fear.

I note that fear can cause all those symptoms.

In any case, billions of people now have cell phones and live near masts without ill effect.

5. Greg J Preece
      Flame

O-ho!

Like a lamb to the slaughter.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@I wonder why the REG

Probably because there is NO indisputable evidence that GSM systems cause any health problems, and also because most Reg readers are Tech minded and empiricists to some greater or lesser extent.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Commentards

"most Reg readers are Tech minded and empiricists to some greater or lesser extent."

To a lesser extent I'd say. Otherwise, there'd have been some community-wide project to measure various OSes against various metrics, rather than the community-wide project to troll and flame OSX / Win / Nixen at every opportunity.

Tech people are technologists, not scientists.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like