back to article Mozilla puts brakes on auto Firefox updates

Patch Tuesday from Microsoft coincided with browser updates from both Mozilla and Google this month. Mozilla released a new version of Firefox 4 Beta that's designed to fix a pair of stability bugs that caused problems for some testers. One of the tweaks addresses a problem with plugins for the Mac version of the browser that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Maverick
    Happy

the goose drank wine? (oops! showed my age again)

seriously definitely a case of YMMV as this version is much more stable for me

2. Paul Shirley
    FAIL

stable but broken

No obvious stability issues so far but I really want my mousewheel back. Mozilla manage to lose wheel support so often it's getting annoying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

No wheel issues here

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (3 machines), Microsoft and Logitech mice... all working just fine. I've also never had a mouse wheel issue with Firefox at all. Your setup perhaps?

2. Keith T

I sometimes loose mouse wheel functionality after browsing for an hour or so.

I sometimes loose mouse wheel functionality after browsing for an hour or so. Logitech MX mouse, up-to-date drivers, Windows XP and Windows 7.

But it comes back when I restart Firefox, so I've never submitted a bug report.

3. drongo
    Thumb Up

Fine with me

Mousewheel (Dell Logitech) works fine for me.

I've had no problems, but I'm on 3.6.9 because of an automatic update. I certainly didn't upgrade manually.

Was there a window of time in which the updates were made available (automatically), and then revoked?

4. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Firefox Beta 4 ....!

Our office likes to participate in Beta testing to support the hard work by browser authors who don't charge for their work.

Beta 4 is so buggy we have had to stop using it ... it was costing us production time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can you give us any example

of bug we could reproduce ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4 beta 5

had a problem with 4 beta 5 yesterday in that it wouldn't open any web pages at all, so it was missing a fairly fundamental requirement for a web browser really. 3.6.9 worked fine though.

1. James Hughes 1

That'll be why its a beta then?

No text, nothing further to say.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

autoupdate to 3.6.9 working again now

... as per title...

7. Uwe Dippel

Not so, here!

I have been running all possible campaigns for Firefox - Get It Now! - and whatnot. Since some 3.6.something, all my Firefoxen pretty predictably crashed when the Internet connection went down. I gave it a number of shots (==updates through apt-get) of Ubuntu's packages, but it didn't want to stop (crashing). Merely out of frustration, and to write a proper bug report, proving that the problem was with Firefox (only), I installed Chrome. Miraculously, all stability problems were gone.

As of the last months, I am a Chrome convert. Somehow sad, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

@Uwe

"I am a Chrome convert."

I'm sorry to hear that. Please accept my sincere condolences.

8. yeehaw....
    Grenade

Minefield (firefox) 4.0b7pre 64bit

Works great on my Win7 64bit machines.

The only reason I even looked around was freaking Facebook on my wife's laptop and desktop was eating the HELL of the cpu(s) and the damn fans ran constantly at a high rate - no more.

Calmed everything down and Minefield is sweet to use.

Need a "Delete FB" icon.... ya'll see the previews on Zuck's movie? .....vomit......

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. FarmerBob
    FAIL

All kinds of craziness . . .

I just looked to see what version of FF that I have, thinking that the last I remember seeing was 3.6.9, since having to flee back to since the FF4bX releases are pure garbage, and mine is 3.6.10. I am usually asked or told that what I am running is being or can be updated. This did not happen here contrary to what seems to be discussed in the article. So there is a 3.6.10 version out here. Which since I started testing the 4 series has become the worst browser that I have ever used. It loads very slowly, Flash fails repeatedly, their add-ons are failing right and left. Operation of the 3.6.x versions get worse after I install a new 4b version.

I thought, especially with Firefox, that progressive OpenSource development such as with Mozilla the new toys are suppose to be great. In this case the new Firefox is pure crap. And getting worse with each new release. It's impossible to test with all that goes missing with each release and with what is left that does not work. And they blow horns of all kinds of new stuff. Where?! One would think it were v1.0 at best. I'm mean worst.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like