back to article Intel 'Sandy Bridge' to sport 'next-gen' over-clocking tech

Like today's Core i5 and i7 processors, Intel's 'Sandy Bridge' architecture, their successor, will incorporate TurboBoost, a technology that allows the chip to temporarily run at a higher clock speed than the one it's rated at. But the new chip design's implementation of the technique improves on the old one in a number of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lance 3

"Sandy Bridge's incarnation of TurboBoost can up the GPU's clock speed too."

"Sandy Bridge's incarnation of TurboBoost can up the GPU's clock speed too." But it will still be slow and a piece of crap.

1. Dr. Mouse

Probably

But then again so are most integrated graphics. But it is likely that (eventually at least) the graphics core will ba able to be used to boost performance alongside a 'proper' graphics card.

Add to that the fact that most mainstream users will be more than happy with the performance of the Sandy Bridge GPU, as all they will be doing is a bit of surfing, watching mindless funny clips on YouTube and such. They don't need the latest greatest nVidia/ATI multi-card setup for that.

2. foxyshadis

Enough to stop unresponsiveness?

So the latest turbo boost is going to magically spped up fragmented high-latency hard drives? Not bloody likely. Not one single application I can think of has its startup cpu bound (unless it involves some unholy transparent decryption, decompression, and antivirus); every single time it's the hard drive that the system has to wait on.. and wait, and wait some more. That's been the case since at least 1999, and platter drives show no sign of getting any better. Higher areal densities are always eaten up by larger programs.

Intel should just integrate an SSD on its motherboards as a level 4+ cache. Instant hard drive speedups without the ugly SSD price overhead for a decent size, since hybrids were abandoned.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like