back to article Cyber-jihad hacker claims credit for 'Here you have' worm

A virus writer who claims to have created the 'Here you have' worm that flooded corporate email boxes last week claims the malware was designed as a propaganda tool. The cracker, who uses an Iraq Resistance email address associated with the worm, told IDG that "the creation of this is just a tool to reach my voice to people …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

Amazing

People in Disney wanting to view smut?

When are people going to learn.

The problem is not people neglecting to have AV software but disengaging brain and low level or user training of PCs. People will even give away their passwords in exchange for pens or chocolate.

Apart from problem that they use same user name and password everywhere. I wrote about this after the El Reg Waledac article http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/08/waledac_takedown_success/

here http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/waledac

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jihad on the move

So after attacking the Home of the Teddy Bears picnic, now the Jihadists attack the core of the Internet. All for propoganda, as if we believe that one. There has to be some common agenda here, is this an outright attack on Western values.

But perhaps the more important question is do the Cyber-Jihadista qualify for the top prize the '72 Virgins', well if not virgins 'Beautiful People'. Is the attempt by the USA to flood the Islamic world with houri, well Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian and Britney Spears, the US equivelent of houri anyways, going to stop this sort of thing?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want to know

How anyone could be so stupid as to even think of opening a e-mail which...

--- they have received several copies of

--- which is addressed to names other than their own

--- the names are not even names, but random strings

I want to know what is the chance of there being a user called something like abjkz on any domain?

I also want to know how anyone could be so stupid as to think that I might be suspicious enough to think that they actually have pictures of my wife. We're middle-aged, by the way, neither of us are twenty-something beauties, and even if we were....

The assumption that I might be interested in somebody wanting to contact me on facebook fails, for me, because I don't use it, but it stands as about the *only* potentially sensible spam subject line I've seen for ages .

Almost all of this stuff, malicious or just commercial, is recognisable, almost instantly, as garbage. It must take something more than stupidity to be opening it! And yet, the old truth must be ...if it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

re:I want to know

I want to know what is the chance that you read or know anything at all about this particular spam infection threat?

Nothing you state has any relevance at all to the situation..

I examine several of the emails in question and all were from and to PEOPLE. The sender ID was spoofed, but easily traced so we knocked the infection down very quickly where I work.

2. Big-nosed Pengie

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

These are Windows users you're talking about.

'Nuff said.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

The Most Heinous Worm Ever Invented !!!

I invented the BOOKWORM. It will eat holy, holy scriptures. When you kill it, it will go to paradise and mate with 29 Virigin Bookworms !

5. Peter Murphy
    Headmaster

Excuse me, but may I make a suggestion as to a change?

The following passage is misleading:

"Infected machines are programmed to send out emails to a user's contacts. "

Are infected machines going to sent out emails to a user's Gmail contacts? No.

Are infected machines going to sent out emails to a user's Thunderbird contacts? No.

Are infected machines going to sent out emails to a user's Microsoft Outlook contacts? YES.

I'm being a pedant, I know. But there are so many mediocre IT journalists out there who use "contacts" carelessly, while remaining ignorant of mail clients different from Outlook. I expect better from El Reg.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like