back to article Koran-burning 'pastor' loses website

Red-nosed pastor Terry Jones, who plans to burn copies of the Koran and Jewish text the Talmud at the weekend, has either had his website hacked or his ISP has pulled the plug. The site, at http://www.doveworld.org/ is unavailable this morning. The pastor of a tiny fundamentalist church in Florida, which has reportedly lost …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. jake Silver badge

Organized religion ...

Organized religion is the root of all evil.

That's not to say that all organized religion is evil, mind.

An it harm none, do what ye will.

No, I'm not Wiccan, but I grok the sentiment ...

1. Chris Miller
      Stop

*All* evil?

Three words: Hitler, Stalin & Mao

Bollocks.

1. David Gosnell

Hitler

Hitler was religiously rather ambiguous. He was definitely not atheist, and bent religion to suit a lot of his arguments.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Adolf

Hitler based a lot of his policies on the teachings of the Jesuits. In particular his hatred of Jews seems to stem from his Jesuit upbringing. So yes religion was at the root of some of Hitler's evil.

However I don't agree that religion is the root of all evil. There are many "evil" people out there who use religion as a handy justification for their deeds and a handy way of making others do "evil" things.

Would the amount of evil in the world reduce if there were no organised religion? I doubt it. The bad guys would just find other reasons. We already have them.

2. LuMan
          Troll

Hitler

"Hitler was religiously rather ambiguous. He was definitely not atheist, and bent religion to suit a lot of his arguments."

What, like pretty much all religious leaders??

3. Benchops
          WTF?

Hitler not religious?

Then why did he pursue with great passion both the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

Isn't it obvious?

"Then why did he pursue with great passion both the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail?"

To give Indiana Jones something more interesting to do than teaching.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Most evil then you pedantic prick, however...

Hitler was a very religious person, the SS held quasi religious ceremonies based on some dodgy interpretation of paganism, and the Nazis encouraged the cult of the Führer. Mao certainly encouraged people to believe in his cult - it is still going strong, and Stalin did the same.

1. GunBoatDiplomat
          Grenade

Err that wasn't him

That was Himmler . In fact Hitler attended services of the Reich Church.

Also many of the SS were secret christians despite Himmler.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Almost all

So Christianity has nothing to answer for here, right?

Hitler: member of the Roman-Catholic church until April 30, 1945.

Stalin: top student for 6 years at Gori Theological School. Spent some time in a seminary after that.

Mao: no idea what his religious connection is, but probably not Christian. Maoism can be said to be a religion, though, so at least he started his very own like L. Ron Hubbard and other scammers.

So one out of three is not bad. Wait. It actually is, isn't it?

1. Chris Miller

We were talking about *organized* religion

Mao and Stalin were avowed atheists, irrespective of any earlier dabblings. Hitler kept quiet on the subject in order to avoid unnecessarily antagonizing the church, but it seems unlikely that he was following the precepts of any recognised religion.

If you want to redefine 'organized religion' to mean "anything that causes evil", feel free - but your argument may become rather circular.

2. Boring Bob

nope

The bloke's church is independant. The whole problem is caused by un-organised religion. It bis the organised religons that are condeming it.

2. Naughtyhorse

you know you are in the shit....

when Sarah Palin thinks you are a nut job.

I saw this moron on tv last night banging on about going ahead if theres no sign from god.... man i was praying for a thunderbolt right then...

nope. invisible, impotent friend it is then.

PS, that money in germany was just resting in his account by the way

1. DrXym

Yeah but look at the way she said it

To wit - "Book burning is antithetical to American ideals. People have a constitutional right to burn a Koran if they want to, but doing so is insensitive and an unnecessary provocation – much like building a mosque at Ground Zero."

The "mosque at Ground Zero" is a day centre two blocks away that she and her followers turned into an issue, nobody else. She might not be quite as demented as this pastor but she is definitely of the same persuasion.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"mosque at Ground Zero"

Yup, Charlie Brooker summed it up better than anyone I've seen:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/aug/23/charlie-brooker-ground-zero-mosque

In short: 1) It's not a Mosque and 2) It's not a Ground Zero.

I weep for humanity

1. Svantevid

@ Anon Coward

"Charlie Brooker summed it up better than anyone I've seen"

That's a fine example of British humour.

Have you people thought about going over the pond and reeducating your ex-colonials? They would profit from it.

1. BorkedAgain

I utterly heart Charlie Brooker.

Even his articles read with that sarcastic sneer he does so well. Genius.

I wonder how much fuss would have been made about a day-centre for religious inclusion opening in Manhattan were it not for the silliness...

2. C Yates
          Thumb Up

Pure quality!!! =D

Thanks to AC for that link - brightened up a horrible day.

I must quote this for those of you not bothered to follow the link:

"The planned "ultra-mosque" will be a staggering 5,600ft tall – more than five times higher than the tallest building on Earth – and will be capped with an immense dome of highly-polished solid gold, carefully positioned to bounce sunlight directly toward the pavement, where it will blind pedestrians and fry small dogs. The main structure will be delimited by 600 minarets, each shaped like an upraised middle finger, and housing a powerful amplifier: when synchronised, their combined sonic might will be capable of relaying the muezzin's call to prayer at such deafening volume, it will be clearly audible in the Afghan mountains, where thousands of terrorists are poised to celebrate by running around with scarves over their faces, firing AK-47s into the sky and yelling whatever the foreign word for "victory" is."

ROFL ^^

2. Naughtyhorse

good point, well made

but palins nut-job credentials are a given in any situation

2. bex
      Thumb Up

well done that man

a overt father ted reference is always welcome

3. jnewco81

Thumbs up...

for the Father Ted reference. Careful now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hmm, isn't Judaism the precursor to Christianity?

So they'll be porking themselves then. Perhaps the worm hole will open and swallow them whole.

1. Chronos
      FAIL

Re: Hmm, isn't Judaism the precursor to Christianity?

That would be the Torah, not the Koran. The Torah or Pentateuch refers to what Christians would call the first five books of the Old Testament. The Qur'an or Koran postdates the New Testament by several centuries.

1. Chad H.
        Alert

The net result being

The net result being that the 3 reliving who seemingly have come into the most conflict this century all worship the same god but disagree on a few specifics...

2. I didn't do IT.
        Boffin

@ Chronos

OP was referring to the article, where the right Rev. will also be burning Talmuds, the Jewish religous text... or for Christians - the Old Testament.

1. Chronos
          Coat

@ I didn't do IT.

Bah, rats! I didn't notice that little bit of idiocy. Sincere and plentiful apologies to the OP.

Getting my coat right now.

4. s. pam Silver badge
    WTF?

First it was the @£$% Southern Baptists in the South...

Having had the (mis)fortunate growing up around family trees that were vertical and NOT horizontal in the US south, I thought wrongly that the Southern Baptists and their incredible hypocrisy, idiocy stunts dissing other religions took the biscuit. My favourite growing up was the SB's that would dress up their daughters in Easter Sunday clothes and send them to your front door, typically on Sat AM when hangovers prevail. "Have you taken J*sus, or Do you believe in J*sus" were the typical incendiary comments. Asking them in for a joint and a pint usually caused their Mum's to snap them up and go running for the next idiot to attack.

Then this lot was incorrectly bred, and looks to be a prime candidate for a retroactive abortion.

Then these idiots came out of their sub terrain slumber, and are unleashing all the stupid that stupid can be upon the world. They're probably delusional to an extent that purging a religious sect's book will kill the poison, but woe be these morons for the results of their issues.

Clearly they skipped courses in school, it they even went/finished on Cause & Effect.

Perhaps the wrath will just land on their heads, if anyone's listening!

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

If even Sarah Palin thinks you are too radically right-wing

perhaps you might start thinking?

Oh, wait, this is a fundamentalist, so thinking is probably considered sinful.

What really makes me sick is that in a time when I hear several Muslim groups are shifting their end of Ramadan feast so that they do not coincide the September 11, out of respect for those who died, we have an idiot like this tarring all Muslims with the same brush.

BTW, could they not fine him on environmental charges?

6. John G Imrie

Its been out since at least 8pm (BST) yesaday 8/09/10

Which is a pity as I was looking for a forum to post a comment liking the paster to those other book burning ideologues the Nazis.

Humm, does this mean I can call Godwin's law on my own post?

1. mike2R
      Thumb Up

Not Godwined

Godwins law only applies when the person you are comparing to a Nazi is not actually behaving like a Nazi.

7. Paul Hates Handles
    Grenade

Who can make...

...a tshirt of a badger with the pastor's head fellating a donkey? That'd be a top seller :)

1. Cheapster
      Pint

hmmm

Wouldn't that be illegal to look at?

Get yourself down to Westminster and have them all arrested as they pass by.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

red nose?

red-neck more like, saw him on TV working at his desk with a massive hand gun on the desk, just within reach...

WTF - because, zOmg W.T.F.

9. BarryMc
    Coat

That money was just resting in my account!!

"left the country after members of his congregation accused him of financial shenanigans."

Made anyone else think of Father Ted?

These cows are small. Those, are far away. Small. Far away.

And this, is my coat.

10. Gav
    Megaphone

Ignore him and he'll not matter

You know, every society has its share of crazed, gibbering nut-cases. Some more than others, but you'll find them everywhere. So the problem here is not that this particular crazed, gibbering nut-case is hell bent on seriously insulting a whole lot of innocent people, but that somehow he's managed to get his society's media to pay attention. Any sensible society would be ignoring him because, well, you know, he's a crazed, gibbering nut-case.

Lunatics do lunatic things all the time. The world doesn't need to hear about it on the news.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Terry Jones?

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Thumb Up

You beat me to it!!

Neat

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Burn Baby Burn!

Mark my words Mr Jones, you'll burn in hell for this ;)

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Flame

In a furnace, specially made for him

stoked with bibles?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

terry jones's latest project.

maybe its a sequel to life of Brian

14. LPF

He can do what he likes!

Who cares seriously?

What you afraid if he does it your all goign to die from car bombs, crying out loud, how about you all go grow a pair, Osama is laughing it that amount of yellow being shown!

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@LPF

Very, very, very unlikely that anybody reading this thread is going to die as a result of a car bombing following this idiots action.

Much more likely that US/British kids serving in Afghanistan will die.

So that's OK then?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

I don´t need no fucking title

What about all the other countries kids dying over there? they are worth less because they aren´t US/UK ? they don´t deserve your respect? Why the emphasis on US/UK ? why not The NATO soldiers?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think you're missing the point

Of course they are - I'm sure he was not trying to offend by omission. He was simply making the point that soldiers, men and women from whenever (and not just "kids", think of the adults for God's sake) would likely suffer from such an action.

2. CD001

I hope this is a troll

I thought "inciting religious hatred" was a crime - don't know about in the USA though. Muslims consider the Koran itself to be sacred, the literal words of God - it must be handled reverently. Burning it like this is tantamount to wandering into your local church and taking a dump on the altar/pulpit/whatever during Sunday Mass.

Since I grew up in a country where the car-bombs were planted by "Christians" - death by bomb isn't something you generally worry about - it'll happen or it won't. What I object to is dickheads living in the Dark Ages - Christian or Muslim. Worse from any of the three Abrahamic religions as they all worship the same God - essentially they're fighting each other over semantics (Christian/Muslim or even inside Christianity itself with Catholic/Protestant).

feckin eejits

15. Rob
    Stop

Wouldn't you just love it...

... if he tripped while throwing a book on the fire and ended up incinerating himself.

16. william henderson 1
    Unhappy

jesus h christ!

it looks like the whole world is infested with these blind, superstitious, war mongering idiots.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Father Ted?

"Jones first hit the pulpit in Germany but left the country after members of his congregation accused him of financial shenanigans."

That money was just resting in his account...

18. Billy 7
    Happy

To lift the mood a little

Here is a spoof promo video for the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdtFk_V6A4M&feature=player_embedded

Probably NSFW, but it is funny.

19. WonkoTheSane
    Thumb Up

Legal solution?

Florida state law

Title XLVI Chapter 823.02 "Building Bonfires"

Whoever is concerned in causing or making a bonfire within 10 rods (165ft) of any house or building shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree.

Title XLVI, Chapter 775.31 "Facilitating or furthering terrorism; felony or misdemeanor reclassification."

(1) If a person is convicted of committing a felony or misdemeanor that facilitated or furthered any act of terrorism, the court shall reclassify the felony or misdemeanor to the next higher degree as provided in this section. The reclassification shall be made in the following manner:

(a) In the case of a misdemeanor of the second degree, the offense is reclassified as a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(3) As used in this section, the term "terrorism" means an activity that:

(a)1. Involves a violent act or an act dangerous to human life which is a violation of the criminal laws of this state or of the United States; or

Is intended to:

3. **Affect the conduct of government through destruction of property**, assassination, murder, kidnapping, or aircraft piracy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.