back to article Undead Commodore 64 comes back for Christmas

The Commodore 64 will rise from the grave before Christmas, according to the tiny company determined to reanimate the long-dead 80s icon. Commodore USA — the outfit that seemed to unveil a reincarnated C64 before failing to secure the rights to the name — has at long last signed an agreement with the rights holders, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Parsifal
    WTF?

Spectrum ZX81

Next they'll be reintroducing the ZX81 with all new components, what a joy it will be to work with that keyboard again :P

Seriously though how can anyone expect to cover costs let alone make money on something like this, its not like people will be lining up in their millions to buy this.

1. karl 15
      Happy

i win lol

The C64 was/is better than the specy :)

I hope they make a Turbocharged Vic 20

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

vic 20

I had my uncle's Vic 20 passed down to me as a child. Great machine. I remember playing a text based adventure called Voodoo Castle and you could save your progress to a C90 cassette tape

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Voodoo Castle

Wow.... I'd forgotten about that one!

2. A J Stiles

Them's fightin' words

Them's fightin' words .....

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Thumb Up

You're kidding, right?

Those of us of a certain age will kill to obtain one. I personally am already negotiating a mortgage on my mother-in-law and my eldest daughter in order to buy two.

GJC

3. Uncle Siggy
      Megaphone

@Parsifal Vanity

Ever hear of a vanity press? They don't all make money, but the editors are dead cool!

2. Jelliphiish

i bet

you get that a lot.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why bother?

Who would actually be interested in buying one?

1. Solomon Grundy
      Badgers

Me

I'd be super interested in one. I still have my original C64 but needless to say it doesn't quite meet today's computing standards.

2. Code Monkey

Me

Depending on the price, me. I was a Spectrum lad in the 80s but the C64 has a keyboard I can see myself still using. I'd love one of these hooked up to the telly (CRT of course!), running Linux.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Me too

I know it's a bit silly, but I just want one too. And now I'm old enough to indulge my petty whims in a way my 12-year-old younger self could only dream of.

As an aside, I just spent £25 on a top-of the range 'educational' gyroscope after a similar 'fuck it, I want one, so I'm going to get one' moment. Even though I know the (hard) maths, I still think those things are one step from witchcraft.

Happy days.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

As a physicist

I can confidently tell you that gyroscopes are not witchcraft, nor even close.

It's demons.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

OMG!

They've even added a CGI image of something that resembles an Amiga! The screen behind it is definitely showing Workbench windows as well!

1. Terry Barnes

Amiga?

It even has the 'A' keys....

5. Efros
    Thumb Down

Nostalgia

Doesn't give you a market unless you hit the price breaks, looking at their website they have failed in that respect.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly...

...Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RUN STOP

I'm thinking like the vic20, the C64 had a runstop key?

They just have to have it attached to view source.... and using opera so that you can edit it on the fly just like you could to cheat on all the old vic 20 games.

1. Steve Roper

And...

Run/Stop + Restore should function as Ctrl+Alt+Delete!

Now all we need is an Action Replay cartridge for it. Those were the days...

2. Ian Stephenson
      Thumb Up

So load it in without delay...

...Shift-Run/Stop, then press play.

From the "Cauldron" tape insert IIRC

7. Gerhard den Hollander
    Thumb Up

But will it play ...

... all my old C64 games ?

It would be really, really nice if this machine came preloaded with a C64 emulator, and a bunch of games ...

.. and a cassette player ...

1. The Indomitable Gall

Curious legal situation

It's difficult to sell C64 emulators because of the system ROMs -- Commodore Licensing don't own the copyright on them, and no-one knows who does. A few people have sold emulators and no-one has sued yet, but if someone works out who actually owns the copyright a year or two down the line there may be a sudden demand for a thick royalty cheque....

8. Richard Lloyd
    Alert

Might be first time the case housed a decent OS

No mention of what OS it runs, but even if it comes with Windows 7, I bet you'll be able to run Linux on it, which will be first time a C64 case actually housed a decent OS. Lets face it, the C64's OS and BASIC were both awful and it was only saved by having good audio and hardware sprite support which, if you avoided using OS or BASIC calls (both of which were utterly dire as I said), did lead to some good games.

A better exercise might be to put a modern PC's innards inside a case that originally housed the best 8-bit OS and BASIC of all time - the BBC Micro! And one of the boot options would, of course, just boot into a BBC Micro emulation environment....

1. Charles 9

Cut commodore some slack.

It's not like they had a lot with which to work. We may think of 64KiB as chump change now, but back in 1982, even 5K (the RAM in the VIC-20) was not cheap, and 64K (the RAM of the Commodore, and don't forget the ROM chips) was such that most systems didn't pack that much memory until RAM prices dropped later in the decade. If the BBC Micro had a better OS, it had more ROM with which to work it (32KiB vs. 20KiB for the C64). Both found their places, however, and I used a C128 as my first personal computer, so I'll let it go at that.

What I want to know is how they will adapt the C64's keyboard for the modern computing environment. After all, just for an example, modern PCs now routinely expect 12 rather than 8 function keys, and all of them can themselves be shifted, controlled, alt'ed, etc. And speaking of which, there's a whole bunch of other keys that are practically needed today.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jolyon

BBC B

Could conenct to a TV out of the box - mine never saw an RGB monitor in all the years I was clocking up "Right on Commander!"s

2. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

@Oliver Jones

tl;dr

I bet you're a real hoot on a night out at the pub.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nvidia Ion2 graphics?

Nvidia Ion2 graphics? it wont be able to run much more than C64 games with that

1. JC 2

@ Nvidia Ion2 graphics

If hooked up to a TV to make it authentic, that resolution is low enough Ion2 can play most modern games, unless you turn all the eyecandy up too high like reviewers do trying to find the differences in discrete GPUs.

2. Goat Jam
      Headmaster

The Ion

is a damn sight better than the intel graphics crap built into the atom chip

3. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Put the commie next to the TV where it belongs.

> Nvidia Ion2 graphics? it wont be able to run much more than C64 games with that

It will be able to decode BluRay.

That means that it could be an interesting sort of HTPC with the wierd retro case and the built in keyboard.

10. mark l 2 Silver badge

the amigo

They also do a system called the Amigo which i think may get them in trouble with the owners of the Amiga trademark as i commodore don't own the Amiga trademark

11. Skyraker

Workbench windows?

shirley you mean windows Workbench?

1. lpopman
      Headmaster

titular distillation

No, he means Intuition windows and gadgets, rendered to the public screen of Workbench.

1. Shades

Looks more like...

...MUI windows/gadgets to me. (Notice the pattern in the windows? Intuition or Gadtools couldn't do that... I think?!)

12. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Welcome

Title goes here

But will it feature a genuine SID chip for the ultimate C64 retro experience? Nah, I thought not, no chance at all.

Anyhow nice idea, I hope they get the price right otherwise they are liable to sell very few to only the very hardest of the retro computer geeks.

13. joejack

38911MB Free

Sacrilege!

14. Julian 4
    WTF?

Travesty!

Is this the dimmest idea ever? I was expecting a 1-chip C64 that did what a C64 does, not something that isn't even remotely a C64. What next, "QUAD CORE XEON Apple I recreated" ? Jet-powered Wright brothers Airplane faithful replica?

This thing is complete nuts!

1. The Indomitable Gall

Been there, done that.

The C64 DTV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C64_Direct-to-TV

1. Sir Sham Cad

Brilliant idea

but the games are all wrong. I mostly played ACE, Hyper Sports, Head over Heels, Trailblazer, Parallax, Strider, Starglider and Elite. At least they have Impossible Mission, though.

Must get my old C64 and assorted gear out of the loft this weekend.

15. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

I would expect the new C64 to be 64-bit

ISTR that 64-bit Atoms are available. Would it not be better for the modern machine for the masses to be 64-bit rather than 32? I think it might also be neat-o if it came with a well-configured Vice setup. Or one could get a whole bunch of stuff in Commodore Forever from Cloanto.

Paris, one well-configured vice.

1. Nexox Enigma

It is...

"""ISTR that 64-bit Atoms are available. Would it not be better for the modern machine for the masses to be 64-bit rather than 32?"""

The Atom D525 /is/ 64 bit - there was a link to the Intel spec page and everything.

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
        Paris Hilton

Thank you.

Sweet indeed, thank you for pointing that out. I completely missed ElReg's link to the Intel specs. For some reason, I had a "Z" series stuck in my head as 64-bit. I will poke around to verify my recollection.

One thing I noticed at Commodore's site was they have AROS listed as an offered OS, but with no price on it. That is a little exciting, and one would hope it would help with exposure for the project. This little bad-boy with Commodore Forever and Amiga Forever would be fun.

Paris, fun little bad-boy.

1. Shades

Price for Aros?

Its free.

http://aros.sourceforge.net/

16. TWB

@joejack

Your post made me smile as I had a PET from 1979 to around 1988....oh the days of 1 second boot ups....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Lorks oh lordy a title.........

The PC inside a keyboard will rise again. Mark these words......

1. OrsonX

Hmmmm....

That's actually an interesting thought.

Currently we've got the PC+Display combo going strong....

but why not go back to having the PC in the keyboard?

It'd keep your hands warm for starters!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure

A hobbyist did this a number of years ago, hollowed out their old C64 and shoehorned the guts of a laptop into it for a bit of fun.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

I see what you did there...

An Anonymous Coward states:

"A hobbyist did this a number of years ago, hollowed out their old C64 and shoehorned the guts of a laptop into it for a bit of fun."

You must be thinking of this mod, posted on mini-itx.com:

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/c64/

19. mittfh
    Boffin

BBC Micro next?

Believe it or not, even the good old BBC Micro is not dead yet! There's a suite of them at the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley, where A level students are learning how to do *real* programming, without all the hand holding modern IDEs offer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10951040

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.