back to article Brussels delays data protection reforms

The European Commission has effectively pushed back plans to overhaul the Data Protection Directive by up to a year under pressure from national regulators. Commissioner Viviane Reding said in March that she would publish her legislative proposals by the end of this year, but that deadline has now been abandoned. Instead, this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MinionZero
    Unhappy

@"revamp to take account of recent technologies"

I hear the sound bytes and warm fuzzy feeling words, but no way in hell do I believe they are really going to help us, no matter what they say. It'll be a few good sounding things and a lot of small print that totally undermines what we think we are gaining (as usual).

Sadly I get a distinct feeling "data protection" sounds these days more like doublespeak for "data exploitation" laws.

So I can't wait to see what happens to these so called "data protection" laws after all the lobby groups have had their say. :(

(p.s. If I'm cynical its because I'm now old enough to remember enough political lies to no longer trust a word they say and be on my guard whenever they do make changes, because they are always seeking some hidden goal).

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

RE: @"revamp to take account of recent technologies"

>> So I can't wait to see what happens to these so called "data protection" laws after all the lobby groups have had their say. :(

But don't forget that it is EU directives that give us what we do have in this country, and it's because if EU directives that the UK has been told to explain why it doesn't have adequate protection in place for it's citizens - cf Phorm and the UK's total lack of action against the guilty parties.

And already said, Vivien Reding seems (on past performance) like the sort of person that doesn't take the corporate bovine derived fertiliser at face value.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Viviane Reding...

...in her previous post as communications commissioner forced the telecoms companies to slash roaming prices. From what I saw last time round she doesn't take any corporate shit and sees through all their ruses. here's hoping she can win this one against the national governments and a whole other set of corporations too.

Go Viviane!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Too much protection, eh?

"The European Commission has effectively pushed back plans to overhaul the Data Protection Directive by up to a year under pressure from national regulators."

To me that reads as "too much data protection suggested, have to do something to prevent that."

We'll see.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like