back to article Huawei accused of corporate theft

Motorola has accused its own engineers of sending confidential documents to the founder of Huawei, and claims that the receiving company was well aware that the information was stolen. The case, filed in Chicago, is against the Lemko Corp and originally accused five former Motorola workers of taking their secrets with them …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

LOL.

I can barely recall the last time Motorola has something worth stealing..

1. Flugal
      Thumb Up

Quite

My thoughts entirely.

"Finally......we have been able to access the secrets of the Motorola MR1!"

Or what was that other thing - the 'AURA'. "....firstly, it's a very rare "rotator" handset." Mmm, I wonder if it remains rare because companies were, until now perhaps, unable to access Motorola's blueprints? Or because it was shite?

I can barely wait to see what ker-wality handsets Huawei produce next.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Hey!

My Droid is actually pretty nice... of course Motorola was major pricks and locked the bootloader down with encryption, so I can't root it too easily. So perhaps we should be asking the Chinese how to root a Droid?

2. JaitcH
    WTF?

Don't complain too loudly

Western companies use China as their cheap workshop with lax standards and to achieve production and quality goals they frequently ship goods, machines, etc. with Intellectual Property attributes.

So some of the blame lies in in the West. For example Apple products are manufactured in China, in fact they wouldn't have economic production without China, and this requires that Apple supply plans and test procedures to Foxconn.

Some Western companies inspect these subcontractors but they don't realise that Western technology is frequently used to make 'knock offs' often in late evening/overnight shifts. I have witnessed this in several factories in GuangXi Province in south-western China.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From what I've heard

First thing new employees in a certain western-owned company over there do is give the old usb stick a whirl. Or so I've been told. Same person told me it always makes him laugh since he disconnected all usb ports, glued them shut, and removed the drivers from the OS.

China can try and show a nice face, it certainly isn't going to change its ways. That quite regardless of what caused it or whose fault it is; it's the reality and it's going to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Happy

I feel a new product coming on....

Fake USB ports with no data lines, and the power lines connected to the 240v rails. Security policy enforcement with teeth.

GJC

4. TkH11

Welcome to Asia

Asia generally has had little guard for copyright, intellectual property and that's the way it's been since the 80's. That's the culture there. Fake goods, fake chips, you name it, they'll copy it.

5. Joe User

Three suggestions, Motorola

1. Screen your out-going e-mail.

2. Disable all USB ports on your computers.

3. Equip all computers with DVD-ROM drives, not CD/DVD burners.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of a story on World Service's Business Daily recently -

The narrator asked (I paraphrase) "In three short years China has gone from newcomer to high-speed rail, to the world's biggest manufacturer. What could be to thank for this extraordinary transformation?"

To which the only answer seemed 'industrial espionage'!

7. Dino Saur
    Black Helicopters

More likely to be the other way round these days

As I hear it, many mobile operators think that Chinese companies are no longer copying their western competitors, but have overtaken them in the technology race. If rumours are true, these companies are now rated more highly than Ericsson and NSN in terms of their capability. So much so, that the old big two are now copying the Chinese.

Undoubtedly, Chinese culture has less respect for Intellectual Property (whatever that really means), but now they must be paranoid about espionage. A friend in one Chinese company reported that all of his USB ports were controlled and encrypted, and his DVD burner had been locked down and the driver replaced with a CD ROM driver. There is also talk that online storage is inaccessible from inside the company and that every transaction is logged and analysed.

It is somewhat hypocritical, though, to only point the finger at Chinese companies when talking about industrial espionage. After all, they are only copying what western companies have been doing for years. I reckon it will take another 5 years before they'll be as competent as the US in logging all of our data.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like