back to article Mariposa botnet suspects quizzed in Slovenia

Slovenian police have arrested four suspects over allegations that they developed the Mariposa botnet malware. The arrests follow a joint investigation between the FBI and Slovenian police and come after the earlier arrest of three suspects in Spain, who are charged with distributing Mariposa and using it to hack into online …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

East european

have you seen a map anytime lately??? Central or south european. We are next to Italy you know.

I believe most of our school books claim central european. Ur do you consider Austria east european as well?

2. Tigra 07
    Flame

Stupids assisting criminals

For the protection of people who own the computer and those attacked by it everyone should have some kind of antivirus.

Those who don't and become part of a botnet should be prosecuted for assisting terrorism or something if that botnet then attacks other computers or launches a DOS attack.

It's not like it costs anything when theres a lot of free brands out there

1. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Security theater

I've given up on AV and other solutions 10 years ago. All that is needed is playing it safe and one can do that without an AV. Just be more paranoid than the most paranoid person you can think of. It works a treat.

1. Tigra 07
        Pint

Very brave

Even browsing the web on just trusted sites can expose you to risks.

I would never risk going av free like you. Very brave of you

A pint because it's 5 and there isnt a picture of a Woowoo

1. Anomalous Cowturd
          Flame

What is this Anti-Virus of which you speak?

OpenDNS, Linux, Opera, and an up to date urlfilter.ini / privoxy.conf seem to have kept me malware free for the last four years. And all without the major performance hit those AV thingies bring to the game. I don't miss Windows one bit, but I don't mind people paying me to sort out their PCs for them when they inevitably go TU either...

Simples.

Flame on, losers.

2. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Well

I went AV free in ~2000 and after that switched to gnu/linux only systems in 2003. So there really wasn't anything to worry about. And considering my paranoid nature I tend to block of a ton of stuff by default.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes and no

While AV will not make you safe it'll remove the obvious threats, leaving you to worry about anything new. I've found that a combination of Secunia PSI and WinPatrol was quite good at preventing and detecting problems. PSI for making sure everything is patched up (whatever good that'll do you in the face of zeroday), WinPatrol for detecting when nastyware is modifying your system. Not perfect but better than nothing. Automation of paranoia, so to speak.

1. Tigra 07

RE: AV

I've heard of winpatrol a few times, i may try that

thanks grumpy =]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like