back to article MySQLers mixed on Ellison's ownership

If MySQL forkers Monty Widenus and Brian Aker were hoping that fear of Oracle control over the database might prompt a mass defection, they could be in for a disappointment. Nearly half – 43 per cent – of MySQL users think development of their database will improve under Oracle, according to a survey by open-source business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

TBH

It looks like 43 per cent of MySQLers have never seen Oracle borg a company.

2. James Le Cuirot

I didn't wait

I switched to Postgres almost immediately but that was more because I needed PostGIS due to MySQL's woeful GIS support. If I'd known what Postgres was like beforehand though, I would have switched much earlier.

3. Daniel 1

Survival by abstraction

This is probably a fairly obvious observation, but is still worth stating. Whatever stands or falls, from all of this, will be the ones that still remain, to serve the projects, that have survived to use the products, in half a decade, or a decade's, time.

The irony here, is, that the projects that will survive, will probably be the ones that abstracted themselves from the database server architecture, as much as possible. MySQL commoditised its own market sector, and the pattern that is developing around it, has mirrored other instances, where software commoditisation has happened - where one of the most crucial layers, in the software stack, becomes far too important for anyone to care who makes it.

The result is that much of the market is taking steps to ensure that if one project fails, an new one can be swapped in with the minimum of fuss. While traditional software projects could go down and take entire ecosystems with them, commodity software is like any other commodity: if one supplier fails, you take steps to ensure you can take up with another supplier as fast as possible, and you don't expect to have to rewire or re-plumb your house, betimes - and you don't expect to have to spend your nights in darkness, drinking rainwater, until things are fixed.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DB Mac Daddy

Oracle is a massive multinational corporation with the usual money is king philosophy. But when it comes to databases you can't out-bling 'em, an MySQL can benefit.

5. FARfetched

Spin it to win it

«The fact that the single largest block of MySQLers expects improvements under Oracle is good news for the database giant but is offset by the fact most believe things will either get worse or remain.

It will make uncomfortable reading for the giant»

Nope — they'll read it as "80 percent of MySQLers think things will be just fine" and be happy as pigs in slop. Oracle execs will assume that many of the 20% won't ditch MySQL for various reasons.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like