back to article Coalition agreement website exposes database password

A government website this morning wrongly exposed its database hostname, password and username to anyone wishing to read up on the coalition's agreement. The extremely embarrassing gaffe happened within about an hour of the Cabinet Office announcing the Programme for Goverment website. Government opens up The website is, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. riCh chestMat

Coalition?

I prefer to call them the Combine

1. The_Police!
      Coat

Combine?

Hot damn! Where is Gordon Freeman?

Mines the one with the prod.

2. Cocodude

Direct Link

Direct link to the agreement if you need to get past the front page:

http://programmeforgovernment.hmg.gov.uk/files/2010/05/coalition-programme.pdf

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meet

Meet the new IT Team same as the old IT Team

4. Miek
    Linux

MySQL

They are using MySQL rather than MSSQL so that's a nod in the OS direction surely.

1. Andy ORourke
      Unhappy

Not really

Take a look at the OS: http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=http%3A%2F%2Fprogrammeforgovernment.hmg.gov.uk%2F

Windows Server 2003 running MySQL

5. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

working partially at the moment ....

We will review IR 35, as part of a wholesale review of all small business taxation, and seek to replace it with simpler measures that prevent tax avoidance but do not place undue administrative burdens or uncertainty on the self-employed, or restrict labour market flexibility

We will reform the corporate tax system by simplifying reliefs and allowances, and tackling avoidance, in order to reduce headline rates. Our aim is to create the most competitive corporate tax regime in the G20, while protecting manufacturing industries.

We will review employment and workplace laws, for employers and employees, to ensure they maximise flexibility for both parties while protecting fairness and providing the competitive environment required for enterprise to thrive.

We will consider the implementation of the Dyson Review to make the UK the leading hi-tech exporter in Europe, and refocus the research and development tax credit on hi-tech companies, small firms and start-ups.

1. Elmer Phud

Dyson?

"We will consider the implementation of the Dyson Review to make the UK the leading hi-tech exporter in Europe"

would that be the same Dyson like wot closed manufacturing here and just left the design team?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

No doubt after much running around, phone calls and paying additional developer fees...

11:42 - It's back up now... but for how long?

*dun, dun duuunnn*

7. Elmer Phud
    FAIL

What's the problem?

We were promised an 'open government' but I'm not sure they meant ito be that open.

If it's a sign of things to come once they've cut all the planners and advisers then we're all doomed.

A government that shares - how nice.

8. I-R-M

Transparency

try the 'transparency' link on the programme for govt web site - I got:

Bad Gateway

The following error occurred:

[code=DNS_HOST_NOT_FOUND]

So much for beeing transparent

9. Ball boy Silver badge

Ah, come on!

Quote: 'The newly-installed government led by Tory Prime Minister David Cameron and LibDem Deputy PM Nick Clegg has been bigging up its Web2.0 credentials'

The clue is in the text: newly-installed. Now, I'm as sarcastic as the next man about quite how well these guys will screw-up ^H^H^H^H manage the country but to have a dig at them for an admin. error that's so very far from them is a little mean. I'll wager neither could find the downloadable binaries for MySQL but I don't want them to spend their time on that anyway!

Let's give 'em a chance; 100 days or so would be reasonable. We'll nail their neither regions to a wall on the 101'st day. Agreed? ;-)

/I'm a little disapointed that I can't find any references to the highly skilled and very elecatable PH in this article or posts; is she falling from grace?

10. Steven Raith
    Happy

Currently redirecting....

...to my good friends at Directgov (Hi guys!), as of 1350 hours.

MySQL is a start. As is the reforms to IR35.

Steven R

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ Miek & Ball boy

"They are using MySQL rather than MSSQL so that's a nod in the OS direction surely."

There is always the question of why you'd use expose the use of MySQL - or in fact MSSQL - for a static site, in such an obvious way. The server just did a redirect to direct.gov home page; if you go to it's port 80 you get Bad Request. Yes, am bored today.

Given that a recursive wget actually copied the whole site anyway, how long till PH comedy versions appear?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

lol

"No word from Jobs. Somebody please send him an email (sjobs@apple.com). He doesn't like us." - You owe me a new keyboard!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"wrongly exposed"?

Is that to imply that there is a correct way to expose sensitive data?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like