back to article Shock! Facebook cycle-slut smutvid is adware front

Facebook users should suppress any temptation to check out a link supposedly touting the "world's sexiest video", which is slutting its way around the social network. Malicious posts, seemingly from a user's friend on Facebook, promise "candid camera" footage by clicking on a thumbnail of a woman wearing a short skirt and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jolyon Ralph
    Grenade

So let me get this right...

We're being told to avoid clicking on a link to see a video, and for more information, please see this link and view a video about it. Hmmm...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

I was done!

I'm horrified to admit that I got this post in facebook, I was even stupid enough to let the application see my profile. But by that stage all my patience was gone so when it asked for something else (the codec) I went back and banned the application. So, hopefully I never got the malware!

3. Code Monkey

Down with that sort of thing

I saw this coming. With the rise of "become a fan to see [something]" pages, the page punting malware wasn't so far away. So long Facebook, hello free time spend more wisely.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

U haz new codecs yes?

Wow, a moody "you need this codec" scam as a way of getting malware onto a machine? Do people still fall for this one?

I only ask because I'm pretty sure this one was first mentioned in the Book of Genesis.......

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

is anyone still fooled by the old codec scam?

Apparently so. Then again I'm sure the marks would have clicked on it had it said "your PC needs a new flange alternator, click here" as long as you put an OK button on there Windows users will click it every time. You could probably say "Click here to be infected by a nasty virus that will destroy your computer and your credibility" and people would dutifully click OK without reading it.

That's the trouble with Microsoft, they've trained their users to click OK 5 times in a row every time they want to do anything, like a lab rat mashing a button to release a treat. Swap the button for a great big turd shaped like a button and they'll carry on pressing it regardless.

I can't wait for the virus "wizards" that I'm sure a suitably cynical black hat is working on right now:

"This wizard will guide you through the process of infecting your PC with a virus, press Next.", "How much control would you like to retain over your computer; none, very little, or 'what's a computer'?"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Yay

Please be the demise of Facebook, absolutely sick of bosses and business cunts alike talking up social networking like it's something new/ better than sliced bread.

"SMO" this and new acronym that and utter bullshit this and spam some more people that. Whilst jerk offs number 2, 3 and 4 sit round nodding their heads at this. You don't know what the fuck you're going on about do you?! Tossers.

/rant.

7. Tony Hoyle

App will be banned by now

Facebook are pretty good at banning stuff like that. It won't spread very far.

1. Tom 13

If Facebook were "good at banning stuff like that"

not enough people would have seen it for it to become a Reg story.

This is another EPIC FAIL for the new Facebook security regime. Yeah, it was out there before, but with the floodgates open to the rest of the net, it is now even easier to get in.

8. Ashley Adams
    Thumb Down

The "Dont Allow" button was also rigged!

I saw this a couple of days ago when someone I know who's already careful not to allow dubious Facebook applications was concerned they were unable to say "no" to this particular app.

For some reason, when I tested it on my account and theirs... the "Dont Allow" button doesn't work. When it is clicked, I notice the browser makes 2 or 3 page redirects, before arriving right back at the add application page.

For many people, this will be enough to force them to "allow" the app even if they didn't originally want to; as given the nature of the page they may not realise or forget they can just navigate away to another page, or use the browser's back button.

This type of activity on Facebook really is disgusting and I hope a real solution is found to deal with it.

9. blackworx
    Paris Hilton

Surprised it took so long

The missing codec scam has been going for years I'm surprised it has only now made its way on to Facebook.

It's a good one though, appealing to techno-ignorance as it does...

"I'm such a geek I'm on Facebook all the time" ORLY? So why did you install this malware you're now asking me to help you remove?

10. fidodogbreath
    Dead Vulture

Breaking news?

Next, the Reg will inform us that email offers to launder money for Nigerian princes are not strictly on the up and up.

11. Nigel Brown
    FAIL

Yaaawwwnnnnnnnnn

How can I become a 'fan' of something of which I have no knowledge?

Honestly, the people that get infected by this crap deserve every bloody thing they get.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

If Mark Zuckerberg comments are correct

as reported in

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/

They should find a lot of tackers

1. kissingthecarpet
      Headmaster

Took me a while

to work out what "tackers" were. Must try harder (C-)

13. Znort666
    Paris Hilton

Are there people that...

still fall for this kind of thing, surely by now there would be enough of the Facebook masses that would be in some way aware of this??? So glad I spend as little time on there as I posibly can, I have friends almost addicted to MobWars...why??? Also, the only person I want to "poke" is my fiancee...

Paris Hilton, because I am sure that most of Facebook have "poked" her at some point in time...

14. Svein Skogen
    FAIL

Facebook. Malware. News?

So, a site that makes a living by exposing peoples private information to more and more spamvertizers, now has a malware link? And this is news how, again?

//Svein

15. J-Wick
    Happy

It's not a good sign for me...

... that any video that starts with a chick wearing at least some clothes, and riding a bicycle wouldn't be 'sexy' enough for me to be interested.

//Not densensitized at all...

16. Ian Ferguson
    FAIL

The funniest thing...

...is that the only friends of mine who fell for it are, er, girls :)

17. BuckBrinkley
    Thumb Up

Ahhhh, the classic 'u needz codec'

Shouldn't be too hard to see which PPV ad account is getting paid for the ads, unless of course that's to distract you from the real purpose of upgrading you into your brand new botnet zombie keylogging PC. Then the PPV trail probably goes cold or points to someone they want to get into trouble.

If it is for PPV revenue, it probably worked waaaaaaaay better than they expected LOL.

18. Chris Bradshaw 1
    Gates Horns

useless popups...

Aren't Windows users used to having their "screen liberally splattered with useless pop-ups"? In fact, the above is one of the best brief descriptions of Windows that I've seen in years. I know it's out of context, but it's well-balanced...

And what's with the lack of "I, for one, welcome our new screen popup overlords"?? Geez, nobody cares any more...

19. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

@Ashley Adams

"Facebook really is disgusting"

/signed

20. SlabMan

Given Mark Zuckerberg's views on privacy...

It would be interesting to know his views on trust , security, and honesty. Based on the way Facebook is going, I predict the following:

Customer: 'My bank account has been compromised'

Bank: 'Are you, or have you eveer been, on FaceBook?'

Customer: 'Yes'

Bank: 'Sorry. Can't help you'

21. davefb

ijiots

Thing is, most people get all 'up in arms' about zuckerberg and his comments about info. Then press on links like this, or the one about 'disneys hidden message' or 'why no men can see the tree in this image' etc.

22. Bruno de Florence
    Gates Horns

a woman wearing a short skirt

So glad am gay! Btw El Reg: can we have the gay equivalent to the Paris Hilton icon?

1. Jimbo 6

Gay icon

Dorothy from the (Installation) Wizard of Oz, then

23. Steven Davison
    WTF?

Gay Icon

"So glad am gay! Btw El Reg: can we have the gay equivalent to the Paris Hilton icon?"

I think you found it all on your own...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like