back to article Website shares user credit cards with world+dog

A website that encourages people to share details of their online purchases with world+dog was caught exposing the complete credit card numbers of four of its users. Blippy is one of the more glaring examples of the ill-conceived social exhibitionist craze sweeping the web. On Friday, its users got a taste of that fad's dark …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David 45

A blip?

All this "social networking" leaves me stone cold. If folk want to expose their inane activities to all and sundry, that's fine by me but just count me out. Look what happens (and not for the first time) when things go wrong! Once the genie is out of the bottle, it's well nigh impossible to squeeze the beast back without leaving a trail of hassle and aggravation in its wake.

1. N2

Agreed

Seems to me theres a sizeable slice of society that cant communicate without twitter and facebook

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Agreed

It's still a smaller group than those who can't communicate with proper punctuation.

1. Number6

Occupations

N2 is probably a greengrocer and is therefore allowed to misplace apostrophe's [sic].

2. Basic
          Happy

A title

^^ How many times did you check that for punctuation errors before posting?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Idiots who use sites like this deserve everything they get.

What sort or egotistical fucktard thinks anyone cares about what they purchased?

More aptly, what shallow brain dead looser is interested?

Whoever these people are I have no bloody sympathy, if you have a bizarre need to share your entire sodding life with strangers than why stop at credit card numbers.

3. heyrick Silver badge

Oooh, look, oh look, oh please look!

Today I went to my local supermarket and bought a litre of milk, two cans of own-brand catfood, a Fleury Michon pork-and-rice microwave meal (bonus info - I ate that with chopsticks), a six-pack of Pepsi, and some bread which I plan to use with a generic Asian soup of some sort (packet soup, looks like it has bamboo shoots, chicken pieces, and something that looks like grated lettuce in it).

Don't bother downvoting me. You're really sad if you get as far as reading this paragraph. Go on, go away, there's better stuff following, read the next comment. It's better than this one. BTW, I looked at Blippy's site... "WTF" just doesn't say it strongly enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about...

...when you skipped the first paragraph and went straight to the last one?

2. Ian Stephenson
      Coat

Digging through your garbage

Is that soup gluten free?

Inquiring minds need to know!

3. Anonymous John

Re Oooh, look

Read the story again. You were supposed to include your credit card details in your post.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
      Coat

"looks like grated lettuce"

Ooh tell me more!

This is just sooooooooo exciting isn't it?

Was it all sort of, you know, green?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Yes, yes, yes...

WHICH SUPERMARKET, dammit?

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nauseous

Dude, you need to learn to cook. Your post made me fill physically sick. Do you have any idea how much salt and MSG you're consuming? And your poor taste buds...

1. Anthony 13
        Joke

Ingredient names have been changed...

... to protect the innocent!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just to clarify

All this social networking shite the commentards are (rightly) lambasting here. It is the current evolution of the situation I remember when I was a kid, that of most people making noise of some sort because silence apparently scares them. Suddenly it's just them. Thinking. Whether it simply means they got hooked on the comfort of numbers and get too distracted by the withdrawal fear when alone to be able to appreciate their temporary luck, or whether they really begin to panic that maybe they don't actually exist - something like that idea of being part of someone else's dream, or whether they think they're, in truth, pretty thick and rather than following the advice of keeping your mouth shut if you've got nothing to say, like a Government Minister they go for the other tactic of trying to desensitise those of us who might catch on with a torrent of inanity, I don't know. But it is just a modern skin on a phenomenon that long predates IT-for-the-masses. Maybe what is happening here is people think information overload will confuse everyone they think matters, i.e. the peer group just as it does themselves, who have no idea of the totality of what they've shared, and it is akin to thinking if you can't see them, they can't see you?

5. Anonymous John
    WTF?

<Shakes head in disbelief>

"Blippy says thousands of its users have supplied the keys to their e-mail accounts"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The other excellent bit...

...is that they don't do a good job of filtering embarrassing stuff, so a lot of people end up with things like, "Web2.0Dude spent $35 at Overdrawn Balance Fee... Frequent customer."

7. Matthew 25
    Coat

snafu

Surely this is a fubar not a snafu since they didn't go wrong before.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Hardy McTroll Says: The web is officially dumbed down

It's starting to seem like the Internet has become - on the "popular" side, at least - one big social experiment, where people see how much money and attention they can draw out of people, for the most inane things imaginable.

Didn't the internet used to be an academic network? Ahh, but who cares about education, anyways, I mean this is the Take It All For Granted generation, after all. I'm not sure I'd want to see what could follow, assuming the trend will continue.

Anonymous because this view could seem obstinately nihilistic, though I myself regard it as pretty plainly honest. At least the said "popular" bullocks aren't the only bullocks on the web. I mean, there's C-SPAN too, yay what fun.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

Never heard of Blippy before

So I guess there really is no such thing as *bad* publicity.

But I'm not that interested in finding out what it does or why.

10. Brian Gannon

Hmmm

Says it all really

http://blippy.com/jobs

11. Graham Marsden
    FAIL

Very interesting... but stupid!

You bet your Blippy!

(With apologies to Rowan and Martin ;-) )

12. Daniel 1

"Blippy officials"?

There may be one or two people, calling them that, this morning.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I just don't see the point....

...of all these sites where people leave pointelss comments that really don't matter....

This topic is closed for new posts.