back to article Google borgs Steve Jobs refugees for 'tablet' smarts

Google has acquired a chip maker staffed by former Apple engineers, with an apparent interest in using their chip smarts to move the Chrome and Android OSes onto things like iPad-chasing tablets and TV set-top boxes. The chip maker is known as Agnilux, and it was co-founded by Mark Hayter, one of the leading system architects …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

For the time being ...

It seems timely for a services/software organisation to get into bespoke hardware.

Hardware, software and services all custom dedicated and running smart would appear to be an early 21st century winner (it also looks as if intel has blinked and on an AMD-type catchup).

2. Jeremy Chappell
    Grenade

Yeah...

Has to be for a iPad competitor, Google has no interest in servers... hang on a mo!

If these boys were working on "some kind of server thing" - especially related to power usage, isn't that a heck of a lot more likely?!

Oh yeah, then there'd be no iPad angle - silly me.

1. Tom Rowan

Servers....

Google is one of the biggest server manufacturers in the world. I forget the ranking, but it's top four I think... not that you can buy their servers! So we might not see anything in our hands so to speak. Then again, as you say, where would the iPad angle be if that were the case?!

1. Jeremy Chappell

Exactly...

Google has a huge datacentre - and they build their own servers. Power consumption is a HUGE deal for Google.

I think the are #4, but unlike #1->#3 Google keep the servers they make.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Google - A bunch of smart people...

...and the only R&D strategy they have is to Ripoff & Duplicate Apple? I guess creatively and smart are mutually exclusive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

incorrect

they left pa semi when apple acquired them

not ex apple people

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Moral high ground?

Because Apple have never ripped off or copied anyone else's ideas.

No icon because there isn't one for 'Rolling Eyes'.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Making money - silicon valley style

From start-up PA Semi (with actual hardware) to Apple to start-up Agnilux (with no actual hardware) to Google...Ka-ching! Wish I could have caught that gravy train...I'd most likely be retired by now, living on a beach, sipping Pina Coladas without a care in the world.

I applied at Intrinsity a while back, and see that they too were bought out by Apple.

And now a rumor that even ARM might be acquired by Apple.

Peering into my crystal ball, I see the IP lawyers are the real benefactors down the road as the lawsuits that will arise will go on for years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like