back to article Google stung by more privacy complaints over Buzz

Canada's privacy chief is the latest high-profile politico to hit out at Google for its ill-considered stealth launch of Buzz in Gmail earlier this year. The country's privacy commissioner Jennifer Stoddart penned a joint letter to Google's CEO Eric Schmidt in which data protection authorities from Canada, Israel, the UK, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DavCrav

Hmm...

"Of course we do not get everything 100 per cent right..."

How about

"Honestly, officer, I wanted to steal many things in my past. I do not get everything 100 per cent right though, so I stole a few things, but not lots of things. Is that OK?"

Not always staying legal = sometimes breaking the law...

2. J 3
    FAIL

Of course not

"Of course we do not get everything 100 per cent right"

Duh. But to get so much of the simple basics wrong all at once is quite ab achievement, methinks. It must take extraordinary effort.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good for Them

"Canada, Israel, the UK, France, Spain, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Germany and the Netherlands"

One wonders how the other 200ish (depending on how you count) Countries think their citizens will be better served by sheepishly surrendering their Privacy to Eric Schmidt.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why Google shouldn't be trusted

This goes to the heart of why Google should not be trusted to store as much data on individuals as they currently do. They proved with Buzz that they are willing to abuse that data collection and "be evil", now we need to start bringing them into proper control with regard to information they store about everyone.

5. Oninoshiko
    Badgers

I don't get it....

i haven't used the big G's new badger-powered product so could someone avail me of my ignorance? A breif search seems to indicate that it tracks posts to socal networking sites... I don't see the problem. You post to these sites, you put the info out there... posting it is what violates your privacy, not google aggrigating it.

1. Tom 35

It's not hard to find info...

Go back to the original story and click on a few of the links for other stories about Buzz. You will see stuff like...

"there's been concern from some people who thought their contacts were being made public without their knowledge (in particular the lists of people they follow, and the people following them)"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Orkut privacy problems

Facebook privacy issues have been well documented and discussed in the media. But Google's own social networking site, Orkut, which is widely used by South Americans has privacy issues that hasnt come to western media's attention:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/orkut/thread?tid=37058b930b11a0c3

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like