back to article Youth reject Facebook's death of privacy claims

Young people do care about their privacy, a new survey has found, contradicting the claims of Silicon Valley plutocrats. Earlier this year Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg became the latest tech billionaire to proclaim the death of personal privacy, saying digital yoof are not concerned by it. A poll of US 18 to 24-year-olds …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mark Z

He'll just say any old BS that pleases his corporate sponsors and his corporate sponsors LOVE getting their hands on your data so of course he's going to toe the 'privacy is dead' line so hard his feet go numb.

Bought and sold. What a twat.

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

and secondly...

i know young people who are NOT on Facebook, because they don't want everything they do online. Guys like Zuckerman MUST respect that some people do REALLY believe in privacy, he can't just pretend noone does because some behave like they don't.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Go

These guys are prats

Inside 10 years, *real* privacy will become a big business, only available to the wealthy.

Start a business now, get in early.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thank you, I did

I also moved country to avoid all my IT being backdoored by some doorknob abusing RIPA. I have zero objections against the police fighting crime, as long if that is really what they're doing. The weaknesses in RIPA are so worrying I'd never host IT in the UK..

4. Eddy Ito

Not surprising

Just one point, it isn't just SillyCone Valley that's out of touch, it's also the DisTrick of CoLumbia.

5. Is it me?

Yes, there realy isn't such a thing as Privacy.

Just a lack of publicity.

A company I worked for had an open personnel policy where by you could read anybodies personnel file, apart from health and discipline. The files were right there in the office for you to go and read. No one did, other than for CV purposes, in practice there was no secrecy about anything, and it wasn't an issue, once you got used to it.

With intelligent adults, we mostly, really don't care about what other people do. The problem is, that some element of society and yoof in particular, will focus on any perceived weakness or difference and attack mercilessly, to an extent that makes the tabloid press look like rank amateurs.

Time was, when it didn't matter if someone knew your bank account number, but now for our convenience you can set up direct debits to an account from a company that the is trusted by the banks. The main differentiator is IT, where a little bit of knowledge can be used against you in all sorts of ways.

Post to a minority web site, better be sure there isn't someone who hate your kind just down the road, with enough time to trawl web sites looking for targets, add you to offensive mailing lists and so on.

We can either develop thick skins, or become a homogeneous society where everyone conforms to the norm, or maybe, we just protect the important stuff an leave the rest, and hide amongst the crowd. After all the number of haters is far exceeded by the minorities they hate, and you never know they may just find they are the deviants, not us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Point

I think you missed the point there somewhat.

Your company did have a privacy policy in place: "you could read anybodies personnel file, apart from health and discipline"

See, the private information remained private.

Could people from outside your company walk in and look at the files? If not, why not?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Cool

Reassuring research for a change.

All too often privacy is something people only want when it is gone, and with the internet once gone it is pretty much gone for ever.

The Farcebook (and other Web 2.0 "leaders"...) claims that privacy is dead are simply wishful thinking. There seems to be the idea that if they say it often enough everyone will belive it. Scarily, there could be an element of truth to this.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"[those] who abuse personal data should face jail"

Damn right.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yoof will always want privacy.

As long as youths don't want their parents finding out what they've been up to, there will always be a need for privacy.

9. transientcylon
    Grenade

Tell them about MySpace...

That's what I do. Explain to these youngsters how their old, forgotten about MySpace account has had its contents packaged and sold to random 3rd parties already. I love the jaw dropping look I get when I explain even if they delete it, it's already too late because these companies cache everything. I don't have a Facebook, LinkedIn, or other type of garbage and life's been humming along just fine.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/191716/myspace_selling_user_data.html?tk=rss_news

Icon for you Fuckerberg...

10. John A Blackley

First word

The first word of the title = pointless article.

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Just how low can the human race go?

I didnt need FB or Titter before, and I still dont need them now.

If I wanna share my life with my friends, I do it with HUMAN CONTACT, and not some dodgy post on the net.

Anyone who has problems due to living their lives out of social networking deserves all they get for bing so f**king stupid in the first place.

(And these people are allowed to influence the way the rest of us sane people lead their lives!! SCARY!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like