back to article US lawmakers urge trade commission to scrutinise Google Buzz

US lawmakers are calling on the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to probe privacy complaints about Google's Buzz, following a tirade of grumbles that greeted the creepy injection of the real-time Twitterbookish tech into Gmail in February this year. On 25 March, 11 American lawmakers from the House of Energy and Commerce …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

JSITFO

Just

Switch

It

The

F...

Off

Or use another mail service, it's not as if Google has a monopoly or antyhing....

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
      FAIL

You couldn't, until people complained...

I remember having it for 3 or 4 days before it got an off-button.

And gmail's anti-spam actually works, with a very very low false-positive rate and zero false-negative rate so far. Google may be "bad" but if so, everyone else is far, far, FAR worse.

What should I switch to? Hotmail? Pull the other one, it has bells on.

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
        Troll

@Gene cash

Host your own server! Seriously, domain names are cheap, and there are eleventeen squillion hosting providers of every conceivable stripe out there waiting to give you a 256MB VM for you to toss a pre-configured e-mail appliance at. You are reading El Reg, so I am assuming none of this is beyond your abilities; it doesn't even take much time anymore to set up.

Real men run their own servers. :P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

What is the problem here?

If you use a Google service you know they will make use of you.

You're in dangerous shit, it is only the smell and depth that varies.

What is really required is a culture change. Just because web service companies can doesn't mean they can. A bit like banks, really.

3. EvanR

More stupidty from the google fan club...

Wow, more asinine google fandom here... big surprise.

Yes, I should be "okay" with google throwing away my legally protected privacy rights because I can just host my own domain... ya.... okay.........

I think the real concern is that so many people who have IT backgrounds are supportive of google stomping all over them.

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
      Coat

For crying out loud...

...I even used the "troll" icon.

Seriously. That you can host your own domain does not make it okay for Google to rape and pillage your rights. It's an alternative that is worth some thought and consideration, certainly in my humble opinion running your own server is better than relying on a third party webmail.

Just don't call me a Google fanboy; you do nothing but reveal your own idiocy an willingness to jump to conclusions based on false assumptions.

You sir, have just ruined the internet for the day. I'm going to get my coat and go get some sunshine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like