back to article Energizer site still plagued by data-stealing trojan

The maker of Energizer brand batteries is continuing to serve its customers a file laced with a data-stealing trojan more than 24 hours after the company was notified of the threat and almost two weeks after it promised to fix the problem. A spokeswoman for Energizer Holdings acknowledged receiving a voicemail Wednesday night …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 8
    Black Helicopters

Its probbly just

Your garden variety covert 'plugin' used by a govt agency to spy on users of those chargers, who may be planning to attack [insert country] with vibrators.

So they 'cannot' take it down under section bla bla bla...

2. Dazed and Confused

@Pete 8

Nah, Governments are too prudish for that.

Nah, what they are doing is bugging the owners of vibrators as they are obviously deviants and perverts and need to put on a list somewhere.

3. frank ly

Half an Idea

non-stop Energiser Bunny...

everlasting Rampant Rabbit....

backdoor Trojan......

prophylactic measures needed......

Can somebody arrange/extend those bullet points into a witty/smutty comment because it's too early for me to manage that. Thank you.

4. lawndart
    Joke

My title contains letters

Another "Once-the-website-is-contructed-we-execute-the-coder-so-they-cannot-replicate-our-design-for-someone-else" management decision goes slightly awry when they find no-one knows how to turn it off...

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

13 days to update a website

I think the icon says it all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's still there....

... as at 2010-03-19 08:26 UTC

7. madmattttt
    Flame

grrr

fire that stupid goat

8. Ian Michael Gumby
    FAIL

PR Slacker!

"More than half the time I call a reporter back, the story's already run," she told The Register on Thursday afternoon. "I find it a little odd that someone would call someone at 9:30 at night. That is not within normal business hours."

What a friggin slacker!

I rate this a fail, not for the article or the story, but that you have a PR spokeswoman (no-name) who is in the middle of a 'crisis' and rather than have her office phone forwarded to her mobile, she's off duty because its 'after hours'.

How many IT professionals have gotten a 2AM wake up call because there was a problem in production and a job failed to run properly. Of course if the IT professional doesn't fix the problem ASAP, nightly jobs don't run and the company is in deep she-it because it cant function.

When you work for a global company, its normal business hours somewhere... ;-)

1. Danny 14
      FAIL

aye

indeed, if there was someone to take the call at 9.30 then there would either be someone paged OR someone in a contracted different timezone to fix it. We have a contractor in the US and Singapore for out of (UK) hours work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

this ^

Er, is your website open 24 hrs per day? And yeah, everything Gumby said.

9. Rob Crawford

Right

so why has nobody moved to have them kicked off line due to them spreading malware?

10. petur
    FAIL

Who buys energizer batteries or chargers anyway?

Just shows they aren't only incompetent in making batteries

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

go reg!

chase these clowns

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Legal action in UK?

Anyone affected in the UK might be wise to consider legal action under:

Sale and Supply of Goods and Services

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 traders must sell goods that are as described and of satisfactory quality, and provide services that are to a proper standard of workmanship

Google seems more friendlier than Bing on the above

1. max allan

I don't think that works...

I bet :

1. it never said that it would be free of viruses. (so it's as described)

2. the virus works (so it's satisfactory quality)

3. the software provides it's service regardless of the virus

The only thing you might get them on is "proper standard of workmanship" but after the number of similar problems, this is probably sufficiently within "established standards of workmanship" that you'd have a hard time making anything stick.

If there were a line in there about "must not provide significant unexpected detriment to the user/owner" then it might work.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Panic

The site should have a malware panic-button for these situations. Why don't they? Are they criminals?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well it's gone now

...and if you read the press release, the software has a "vunerability".

I guess that's easier to say than, "we accidentally put a virus in the software" :D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: "we accidentally a virus"

Maybe, but it puts the blame firmly on themselves; rather than giving them the option to say that evil terrorist haxorz did it. What every happened to just telling the truth? I mean jeez, they should just get over themselves.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is what you get...

...for cutting back your IT staff.

16. gollux
    Grenade

Neato...

Malware distribution that just keeps on going and going and going...

This topic is closed for new posts.