back to article ATI Graphic cards turbo charge password recovery

Russian password cracking firm ElcomSoft is using the latest graphics cards from ATI to double the speed of its iPhone password breaker and wireless security auditor products. ATI Radeon HD5970-accelerated password recovery runs twice as fast as NVIDIA Tesla-supported recovery, or up to 20 times faster than on Core i7-960 rigs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

Ban em

just ban any new technology in case it puts a current parasitic business out of profit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Assuming....

... You can get the card to run long enough before it crashes:-

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-Gray-Screen-Crash,9529.html

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$1200 for a "password tester"

It would be cheaper just to use a much longer random password and not have to worry about security. Hopefully the GPU would burn out before the password would be found.

Time would be better spent developing an OS that would use a second video card as a coprocessor to the I7 or the Phenom.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or...

£1200 for a magic machine that will give you access to neighbours wifi so Mandelson doesn't cut *you* off!

4. Frederick Karno
    Black Helicopters

Sooooo

So everyone using this card or buying one is a potential hacker and should be registered on database of potential terrorists.

At some point people have to realise that ANY password is crackable and nothing is secure on the internet,or over the airwaves.You can make it harder to crack for a while but it will be an ongoing battle.

1. Keith Oldham

Re : Soooo

I think a hash derived from a 256 bit salt and a 'random' 20 digit password with upper/lowercase, numbers and symbols might take quite a time to crack.

2. Keith Oldham

Re : Soooo

And, no I don't write the 20 digit password down. I use a passphrase and a little (root & password protected) C program to scramble/shift/add to produce a password like : -

jNBpb32DQl1opfNmosjh

1. 0765794e08
        FAIL

Bigmouth strikes again

@Keith

It’s great to share, isn’t it? But I’m afraid you’ve just commited the cardinal sin of telling the world how you go about making your passwords. You use a passphrase and a little C program. You shouldn't have let that slip. You really need to learn to keep schtum about such things.

ALL YOUR PASSWORDS ARE BELONG TO US!

1. Keith Oldham
          Linux

Re : Bigmouth strikes again

Care to explain ?

Do you have access to the one machine on my network that runs the program?

Do you know the name of the program or which user is allowed to run it ?

Do you know the password to allow the program to run?

Do you know the passphrases and what purpose they are intended for ?

Do you know the algorithm ?

Do you know ANYTHING?

5. seven of five

So thats where all the GPU went

title says it all.

I WANT MY 5850! *stomp*

6. Phil Koenig
    WTF?

"...password security auditing on Wi-Fi networks..."

ROFLMAO

s/security auditing/cracking by script kiddies/

This topic is closed for new posts.